1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many games does Carmelo Anthony get to prove that he doesn't suck?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Oct 18, 2018.

?

How many games does Carmelo Anthony get to prove that he doesn't suck?

1. 25

39 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 41

10 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 82

29 vote(s)
    37.2%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

iirc picks were were tied to that deal....

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

it was never reported that picks were a part of any deal

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Where's the '1' option?

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey was willing to pay him 23M in exchange of paying Ryan Anderson 20M. Nobody would be willing to pay him 23M today if he was a FA. He is being paid the vet min because he was bought out. It has nothing to do with his value on the court. I am guessing if he was a real FA, he would probably get a short contract at about 10M/year.

Anyway, I don't know why people keep bring in the a guy's contract when discussing his on court contribution. The contract is the GM's business in maximizing the roster within the cap rules. How a guy plays to contribute to the team is what we fans are concerned with, regardless of how much he makes.

malakas, YOLO and kjayp like this.
  5. kjayp

The 'Ryno factor' hurdle never got cleared - so the 'add-ons' were never finalized... but it was assumed we were at least adding 2nd rd pick(s) to the deal...

"Houston would presumably be packaging a few more assets, such as draft picks, with Anderson, but it does seem reasonable that New York would prefer not to trade a disgruntled star for a lesser player on a worse contract. Other teams the Rockets have hoped could help them net Anthony in a three-way deal have also reportedly said no to Anderson."

www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/01/carmelo-anthony-reportedly-now-only-wants-to-be-traded-to-the-houston-rockets/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7e60d5ed19b7

Every team that was a possibility for the 'Melo sweepstakes' made an offer - Hou, Cleve, Port, OKC.... none of them said "Nah, we aint interested..." Everyone of them were looking to add his 2yr/54M contract to their books... whats happened since then? A year in OKC with the black hole that is Westbrick - and I think we can agree, that they didnt have a clue on how to utilize their personnel...

Regardless, you have made it abundantly clear you dont even wanna give Melo a chance to be a contributor to this team - since before he even put a jersey on...

Further I am sick of people regarding Melo as a 'min contract player' - just bc he gave the Rox a sweetheart deal bc he wants to be here... i guess KD isnt a max contract value player bc that aint the contract he signed either....

#85 kjayp, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  6. kjayp

I can somewhat agree with this... esp the short contract on 10M/yr - pisses me off how people refer to him as a 'min contract player' bc he gave us a sweetheart deal.
    Cleve, Port and OKC were also wiling to deal for him and pay 2/54M...

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

at the end of the day, Morey wasn’t willing to give up anything of real value for Melo...if the deal didn’t include Ryno’s hideous contract then it wasn’t happening

If you’re only willing to give up trash for something, then how much do u really want it?

Cavs offered a garbage package of Shumpert and Frye for him...OKC acquired him and then couldn’t wait to get rid of him a year later

We all know KD is a max value player so what’s your point? Just how much do u think a 34 yo Melo who plays no D, is inefficient, and doesn’t like the idea of coming off the bench is worth on the open market?

8. kjayp

Let's realize that the cupboard was pretty much bare after the CP3 trade....we didnt have anything to give up - we sure as hell weren't giving Ariza and EGo (what the Knicks wanted) so ow the only real contract that would get us close was Ryno - and nobody wanted that crappy contract... we didnt have nothing to give up...

We know the OKC buyout was luxury tax motivated.... not saying he's worth 23M - but add the lux tax and its a must do something situation... plus you got the ramification of PG staying - which wasnt really an expectation from most viewers...

Point with KD is - dont necessarily assess a players 'worth' based on his contract... KD is obviously a max value player - but that isnt the contract he signed... Ryno isnt a 20M+ player - but thats the contract he has... Boogie and Melo are on min deals - that doesnt necessarily mean they're min contract players...

What do I think Melo is worth? I'd put him in the 7-10M range... not a superstar or even an all-star... but a decent rotation player with some baggage.... I'd bet that if he insisted on getting a piece of our mle - Morey woulda done it... but he didnt... he came on the min bc this is where he wants to be (right down to trying to force his way here from NY) and this is where he believes he can showcase whatever abilities he has left... and instead of being appreciative that he chose to be here (on a sweetheart deal) folks wanna slam the dude... just makes no sense to me...

SAS runs his fat mouth and all of a sudden people are ready to assume "well it must have come direct from Melo..." and he's a malcontent... "he's a min contract player that should be thankful we gave him a min contract..." ...cause it isnt a possibility that SAS had a conversation with somebody in Melo's family or entourage who spoke out of turn - if he actually had a source at all... gee thatd be the first time some talking head fabricated or blew stuff outta proportion...

For all the talk of 'In Morey we trust" and CP3 being so wise (he said Melo criticism was undeserved)... obviously that doesnt extend to Melo for some people.... smh...

Im just saying the dude is a 10 time all-star... at least give him an opportunity to show he can at least be a starter... if it turns out he's Joe Johnson - fine, move him to the bench... if that doesnt work out - send him home and eat the min contract... but at least give him a shot - doesnt he deserve that for his efforts to be here and the cut rate deal? Maybe we can get Hoodie Melo - if he's in the right mindset...

#88 kjayp, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

win the next 3 games then we will be > .6667

Game7 likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

10 games before Gary Clark apparently made him obsolete.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Waiving Melo is a wrong and a mistake
    It is like they didn't even give him a full chance

Rocket River

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

harold bingo and J.R. like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. But from what has been reported so far, apparently they wanted to reduce his role and it didn't sit well with Melo. It makes sense.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ennis should catch some of that reduction as well

Rocket River

Easy likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

?????

"I'm willing to do whatever it takes to win. I'll come off the bench, start, whatever it takes to help this team win" - Carmelo Anthony from like 2 months ago

Now he's wanting out because of his role 10 games into the year? Despite being bad in pretty much every game this year?

Melo didn't give the Rockets a chance

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You have to know the whole story, likely we won't because majority never entered war room.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun buy this Melo wants out.

Very likely the Rox organization is thinking they promised him minutes but won't probably play him at all because of Clark.

I dun see how folks are turning this into a villain thing again. For their amusement.

More than not this would be an amicable breakup. Atlanta Hawks are still paying him his buyout salary.

It is not drama at all if you just go the logical route.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He sucked last year, why do we think an aging man with 16+ years in the league is suddenly going to improve?

He is done.

DD

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

He is no longer playing with Westbrook. @YOLO

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You only live once? Melo lived many dramas.