1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Houston Press]Vandy and Lord Best Sports Talk

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chance, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

There. The debate is now over. Marc and Rich are the best sports talk in Houston. This is no longer a topic which dissenting opinions count. ;)
    Link
    2005: Sports & Recreation

Best Sports Talk
    Rich Lord and Mark Vandermeer

Helming the drive-time slot at SportsRadio 610, hosts Rich Lord and Charlie Pallilo boasted the best sports show in town for several years. The two Northeast natives brought a worldly perspective to pro sports and the issues surrounding it, especially when the topics fell to race and culture. Lord was easygoing, Pallilo was smarmy, and the two just worked. So it was a disappointment when Pallilo jumped ship for Clear Channel's new concept The Sports Animal (790 KBME) last year. SportsRadio 610 floundered briefly, but when Lord was paired with midday host Mark Vandermeer, who's also the radio voice of the Houston Texans, there was instant rapport and chemistry. The cocky Vandermeer brings a younger, more pop-culture-oriented perspective and ups the hip quotient, while Lord continues to keep it real. The result is a fresh, authoritative and entertaining show.

Hmm...I think I am going to get some posts from people that disagree...Oh well!

BTW - we had a guy when a Hummer the other day. We are taking place in a nationwide contest with a bunch of Infinity stations where we give away any GM vehicle under 50K (we're saying H3 but you can pick any sub 50K vehicle)and we had a SportsRadio 610 listener win the H3!!!

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i typically don't think of vandermeer "upping" the hip quotient. :) but that's just me.

having said that...i listen to the show if i'm not listening to music.

btw: granato's spot for Ragin Cajun had me craving crawfish at about 8 a.m.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't live in Houston anymore, but any sports talk show with Rich Lord as one of the primaries would be painful for me to listen to - especially since I couldn't care less about baseball. What's odd is that I enjoyed when Charlie and Rich were together on KTRH. I don't know what this guy Marc is like...

4. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

tried that number, it said something about charging however many cents per minute for the call?

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

LOL! Now I know the Houston Press is sadly dumbfounded and confused, John & Lance are obviously the best in Houston...

John: You see this p*rn ad next to Trailer Wheel and Frame in the paper?
    Lance: I don't think that's a p*rn ad...
    John: Oh... huh.

or something of that nature from this morning... classic!

6. MadMax

i agree with this. john and lance and it's not even close.

7. Svpernaut

At least that's what I think... anyway.

8. Chance

Listen Live

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The words Vandermeer, cocky and hip should never go together without the word ain't in there somewhere. Seriously, you can say you like the two...I still listen to them more often than not...but to call him cocky and hip is completely ridiculous.

10. Svpernaut

So true... I don't want to jump on the afternoon drivetime bashing bandwagon, but Vandermeer is the weak link.

11. Chance

Ratings would indicate he was the missing link.

12. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Congrats Chance and 610..but I do like 790 better.

13. MadMax

charlie needs a co-host. there's no banter. no real conversation. it's his thoughts...and some phone calls. he's not jim rome. he doesn't get kick ass interviews that keep you tuned in. the idea of setting one guy up for a local sports radio show died with Kenny Hand.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm suddenly reminded of a Green Day song you parodied. :D

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's one of the reasons I don't listen to him for long stretches. That and Chance. :)

16. Svpernaut

American Idol gets massive ratings, but the show is still retarted. Fast and the Furious made millions, but that doesn't mean it wasn't crap. Popularity doesn't mean you are the greatest thing since sliced bread... see Will & Grace vs. Arrested Development.

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Houston Press, in the 2005 Best of Houston article, also named Los Tios as "Best Tex Mex Restaurant".

I rest my case.

;)

18. MadMax

did it really??? there's one right down the street from my house. just awful.

by the way...did anyone else hear Roy Oswalt say La Hacienda was his favorite restaurant during the game the other night?? the only La Ha I know is on Memorial near Dairy Ashford

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You have to be kidding me. :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:

20. Svpernaut

Further proof John and Lance are the best ever...

"If you want a Hummer, don't call us!"

lol