1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press]Vandy and Lord Best Sports Talk

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chance, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Those guys are the worst show on their own station, yet the Houston Press voted them the best in Houston????

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

my best friend is KJ on a Mobile who always calls John and Lance early in the morning

3. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

ugh, mark and rich are horrible

especially the mark part - about 95% of the time I am pretty sure I know more about the topic at hand than he does

mark is cliche city, he uses them to fill the dead air since he usually has no clue

on a different topic, anybody else about ready choke that Laura Reynolds and her HORRIBLE traffic reports? does she think she is funny or something?

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I like Rich and Marc -- Marc certainly isn't "hip", but they pair together pretty well. The only thing is that Marc needs to slow down with those stupid sound effects. THAT is annoying as hell. John and Lance are great, and I really like Adam and MattJ's show. I try to listen online whenever I can (not often). I even won a Yao Ming autographed basketball by emailing on draft night. 610 kicks the crap out of 790 (and any other station in Houston, for that matter).

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I consider the Houston Press hip, and for them to call Vandemer hip is just mind boggling. He's like an old teacher who tries to be hip to relate to his students. And the next "Godfather" quote he sends through my radio is gonna make my head explode.

7. jeff from vandy

jeff from vandy Contributing Member

john and lance are by far the best...
    then its matt and adam in second...
    everything else falls off pretty bad...

i am not a big fan of charlie when he is riding solo... it forces him to be TOO opionated and just gets on my nerves...

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I have never particularly liked Mark Vandermeer. I think the Texans could have done better and he is absolutely horrible in the afternoon show.

Rich Lord is ok.

The guys in the morning are ok 10% of the time, as 80% of the time they're running commercials and 10% of the time, they're laughing at their own stupid jokes.

I listen to 790 in the afternoon most of the time.

9. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I like Rich, but pairing him with Vandermeer was not a wise decision. They are actually quite similar, and either would probably be good in a supporting role, as Rich was with Charlie. Vandermeer knows football to be sure, but seems to wilt anytime the talk moves away from that topic. I'm certain that Rich knows a lot about sports, but it just doesn't come across the way on the radio.

I think either would be much better if paired with Palillo - the guy's like a sports encyclopedia. But I think that he could use a sidekick to provide some banter with as well.

One thing that I've realized about sportstalk radio, particularly the local brand, is that it is better with less caller participation. I know that's a big part of what keeps the average listener tuned in, but how does it make any sense for the trained professional to give up time to some random guy off the street and still maintain quality?

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I did. There is also one way up on Telge Road. Never been to either one.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I like Rich. He's a good guy and very knowledgable about sports. Marc is ok. I'm not a big fan and I think he often sounds way too much like Ted Baxter from the Mary Tyler Moore show, but that's another story.

What I dislike about their show is that:

1. They rarely talk pro basketball. It's just frustrating. They often don't know things that the average fan knows.

2. The humor isn't all that funny. Marc is not, IMO, the slightest bit amusing and his rock and roll knowledge is not that impressive.

For the Press to call him hip, they must be slipping.

Palillo doesn't have the best show. He can be dry and even boring. But, he talks the best SPORTS by far. To me, Matt and Adam have the most enjoyable balance between sports and general stuff followed closely by Lance and John who I like a lot, but sometimes the seeming lack of attention paid to callers and, at times, even guests is a little weird. It's like, dude, I can hear you typing and sufring the net when you are supposed to be listening to your interview!!!

12. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I really like matt and adam, well really I just like matt.

13. Fatty FatBastard

Well, hell.

I tried to call in this morning, but between 8-9, it was all Charlie Casserly. Then they brought on Some Bengal at 9:00. I called in at 9:20 and told them I wanted to talk about the Tech-Kansas game.

At 9:55, they finally said, "OK, we've finally got a Red Raider on the line. Let's go to Nick." Uhhh, wrong guy, stupidheads.

Nick was a big goober that wanted to talk about Astro plays, which got them to talk about Kent, then the hour was up. I had to work, so I called it quits.

Big, dumb idiots...

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

marc's knowledge of sports begins and ends with the texans and college football and since i don't have that much interest there, ALOT of times i change to 790 in the afternoon. i love the kevin bass hour on thursday's though.

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I feel the same way... I'd say 3/4th of the callers that get through on either sports station actually make me cringe, as in I feel bad for them they sound so stupid so I change the station for a minute until they are gone. I know that is the cornerstone of talk radio, but unfortunately sports stations just bring out the idiots while politcally centered stations seem to have more intelligent callers... regardless of their views.

16. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I encourage you to listen to 790 and 740 during March Madness. You may not know this but Vandy is a nationally respected Basketball Play-by-Play and each year Westwood One hires him to do the NCAA tournament during the pre final four rounds. As you can imagine this is a coveted gig. They don't hire guys that don't know their stuff and have a set of pipes to deliver 4 to 8 games in a thur-sun stint.

17. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

You know, one of the things that I tend to laugh at is a garden variety post from Jeff with someone quoting it and replying 'Great post, Jeff!!', or whatever. It tends to rank high on the kiss-butt scale. That being said, great post Jeff. :D

Seriously, I could go on for days about how the 610 afternoon show was substantially weakened when Palilo left. But even Chance, notwithstanding his company loyalty, would probably have agree with that (or at least admit there is a strong argument to be made) if he were to be intellectually honest.

I listen to Charlie in the afternoons, but I've been a big fan of his for a while now. In the evenings, it's Matt and Adam. I think their show is probably the strongest on 610 right now.

I know John and Lance have been around for 8 or 9 years, but sometimes their schtick is lame. John comes off like a 46 year-old frat boy wanna be and Lance is either talking about his dad (who, I take it, is a coach since he's mentioned it once or twice or seven hundred times) or, after making a point, utters the phrase 'but that's just me'.

I wonder if anyone else picks up on some of the guys' pet phrases on 610? Like, for instance, John's "how good is THAT", or Rich's "getaway Friday".

18. Svpernaut

I love ya chance, and your station... but you're not going to convince all of the Vandermeer haters here that he is actually great because he covers regional college basketball gigs during the tournament. You might think he's an amazing guy because your drive time numbers are up, but that doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people here can't stand him.

Obviously you know more about the radio business then us, and as I stated earlier just because you're pulling in good numbers doesn't mean you are putting a great product out there day in and day out. I have yet to see anyone praise Vandermeer on here (this and the countless other topics)... that should say something.

You run a sports station in the heart of the south, which loves all sports (well minus hockey and soccer) with a listening radius of over 6 million people... so I would certainly hope your numbers would be good considering you only have one rival to beat out in the sports market.

I'm no radio marketing genius, but the talk radio market in Houston is pretty thin... and your only real competition during drive time is 790, 740 with Chris Baker and 950 with Sean Hannity... in a massive metropolitan area where millions of cars are on the road a day, so I would think good numbers should be expected even for stations with sub-par shows.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

My sides are killing me I'm laughing so hard. LOL!! :D

If 610am wants to put Charlie Pallilo out of business all they need to do is put Matt and Adam in the 2pm time slot.

20. Svpernaut

True. True.