1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Historians rank President Obama...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

... 12th in presidential leadership.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/fir...-12th-history-presidential-leadership-n722366

At least someone from Rice is smart... ;)

No Worries and R0ckets03 like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Jefferson is too low on that list, and Kennedy is too high.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

That's the cool thing with such lists... good topic for discussion and debate, and there are usually a number of such lists with different judges and criteria.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the exercise is a bit silly. It's like naming the greatest player of all time in a team sport that has evolved over decades. Maybe you can be notionally right about the most successful and least successful, but to pretend to rank them is a conceit. I find the historiography of how and why the rankings change over time more interesting than the rankings themselves -- in other words, it says more about historians than it does presidents.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

ROTFLMAO!!! Thanks a lot, I literally spit the Diet Dr. Pepper I was drinking out on my keyboard when I read that. That has to be the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

6. NewRoxFan

Perhaps. But people tend to like lists... whether its a list of best movies of all time or best basketball players of all time. Its largely subjective, but makes for interesting debates. And while more partisan biases can flavor that debate, it is interesting to challenge people to reconsider someone with the benefit of passed time and other Presidents (or movies, or basketball players) to compare to. And I think some of the changes in how we view Presidents is effected by what they do (how they act) and how they are perceived in their post-Presidency (for example, I think Carter and GWHB both benefited from what they have done and how they are perceived as "ex" Presidents).

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

But he took all my guns and turned my kid's school into a madrasa!

ubigred and JoeyTexas254 like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So why is it funny?

He also made the frogs gay! Can't forget that!

Yung-T, JoeyTexas254 and eric.81 like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not sure. I wouldn't find my keyboard being ruined to be funny at all.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ranking one of the most divisive presidents the country has ever had as the 12th best in leadership is pretty hilarious......but no one should take lists like this seriously anyway.

JoeyTexas254 and cml750 like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I was looking for more substance than "He was bad, okay?"

I'm sure when they ranked him they didn't just roll a random number and put him there.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You're literally not going to get anything more substantive than that from him. Evidently he's more qualified than this panel of historians.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm suggesting that putting him that high on the list is divorced from reality. It's very likely that the person who made the list is a bit of a fanboy. If you can't tell that the country became incredibly divided during Obama's time in office, I can't really help you, but it should be clear that he was INCREDIBLY divisive. I mean, he's part of the reason you get a guy like Trump winning.

JoeyTexas254, cml750 and Astrodome like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Whenever a wing nut starts going on a diatribe about Obama being 'divisive' understand that all they have is platitudes to back up that claim.

I was about to post "waiting patiently for Bobby trigger post" but I was too late.

DudeWah likes this.
  15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't understand how washington isn't universally considered GOAT. Basically invented the job.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Okay, but that doesn't really argue against him being that high. It would be great if we had one of these historians here to explain it in depth.

As far as being divisive, well man, not sure if you are looking at that list but a lot of those Presidents led the country through divided times...I mean Abraham Lincoln is #1 on their list...you think the country wasn't divided then? You could make an argument that Lincoln was the most divisive president ever...

(Also that leading the country through turmoil is part of what makes a president great. Which is why FDR always ranks so highly.)

I mean really, if you are going to criticize the list then do so. I mean I'd like to hear the arguments against Obama other than "He's just bad..."

Jayzers_100 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It actually lines up real nicely for me - Obama is the latter day Woodrow Wilson, whIle Trump is the modern second coming of Warren G Harding.

To me, they fit those archetypes remarkably well.

DudeWah and wouldabeen23 like this.
  18. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I could give ear to that, but Abe takes the cake in my opinion, followed by either Roosevelt/Washington in what ever order you do choose.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You just made another argument against their list....

20. Nook

Nook Member

This is absurd over the top hyperbole.

The most divisive President in US history is Abraham Lincoln and it isn't even close.

He also was arguably the most hated President during his term.

There were other more divisive Presidents as well.... Andrew Jackson and John Adams both were far more divisive than any living President.

The Real Shady and No Worries like this.