1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Historians rank President Obama...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You're such a smug.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

There is a reason why the military tends to vote more for one party. It is not a hivemind situation. It is the opposite. They teach you to be independent while still respecting and obeying authority.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

You are either very weak minded or uneducated. I am not sure which. I tend to think you may fit in both categories.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Would you like to see what happens when I search the BBS for use of the word "libtard" by poster "cml750"?

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well you've had two chances to provide some proof and have done nothing.

Show me something. This liberal indoctrination phenomenon, if it's real, prove it.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Never trusted that half white part.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Do you only work with A&M engineers or maybe only on small projects or something?

There are plenty of extremely famous liberals with engineering degrees.

Weird argument.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You were obviously using your anecdotal experience and likely false assumptions about your engineering colleague's political views to validate your specious assumption about real world experience, education and ideology, so you're obviously full of crap.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Engineers (to say nothing of geologists and construction managers) on the Gulf Coast and Ship Channel come from literally all over the country and world, cml750 just makes assumptions about his colleagues' political views and possibly downplays interactions with any non-white, female or younger colleagues he comes across.

#109 Dairy Ashford, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    fchowd0311 and justtxyank like this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Claims to be an "expert" on Islam yet doesn't know the phrase that defines muslims as..well muslims.

SAD

I have met hundreds of engineers as well, more than 3/4s of them actually happened to be liberal. People that tend to work in a scientific field and reason are drawn away from anti-scientific thinking--much like what today's GOP touts. Unless this is an engineers that believe the world is 10,000 y.o group that you are likely part of..

#110 LosPollosHermanos, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    el gnomo likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think it's weird that he would even bother pretending what he said is true. I don't care what profession you are talking about, if you met "hundreds" of them and actually knew all of the political affiliations it's impossible they'd all be of one persuasion. Why even try to make that up?

B-Bob and el gnomo like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think it speaks more to his ability to reason. We've seen the guy tell other posters that he is already forgiven regardless of what he does and that if they don't find Jesus they are bad people and will goto hell. Mr the world is 10,000 years old guy. Whatever it is, I applaud him for getting as far as he has.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

As the trump days go by, I've done a complete 180 on Ronald Reagan. I disliked him very much for allowing fascists to train their henchman in the U.S and funding them money to terrorize the people. But He did more for "Illegal immigrants" with the pardon than anyone in history, allowing our families to start new and better lives that no fascist regime or leftist regime could have ever given us. Time to bury the machete.

1. Abe, No one has looked good in a neck beard since.
    2. George Washington, a true revolutionary
    3. Ronald Reagan (for the reasons I mentioned. The likes of Fox news like to pretend that refugee pardon never happened.)
    4 . JFK for curvy women and the whole civil rights thing.
    5. Franklin D. Roosevelt, though there was the removal of Japanese, German and Italian non U.S citizens. But humanity was on the brink of extermination.
    6. Obama, last president to actually give a damn about social justice for the poor. How dare he try to punish major corporations that got over on people.

Nixon shouldn't even be talked about.
    and there should be a "relations with Interns" for the clinton entry.

Those are my top six. Would love to hear them in a "debate-off" with Morgan Freeman asking the debate questions.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure how we go to this topic in this thread. But to have never met an engineer who is politically liberal in 25 years of work experience is kind of remarkable. Maybe your line of work tends to attract conservative-leaning people, and so anyone who is liberal tends not to advertise it to avoid being the "outsider" in the group.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He runs CERN I'm fairly certain

B-Bob likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

Too early

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The problem with his statement is the title engineer is incredibly broad, but knowing he is likely from Houston, he could only know petrochemical engineers that work within the Halliburton or Exxonmobile network of contractors and sister companies under their unbrella.

I'll be honest, a Petro engineer in that business will have a good chance at being Republican because there is the notion that GOP policies help them get more work which actually is a bit of a misconception but you catch my drift. Self preservation will certainly drive beliefs and ideals that are self serving to the point of disbelief in their world.

However an engineer for let's say NASA or Abbott etc will likely have a different view and honestly it's just logical that the more education in science and math that you have the more likely you'll believe in science which would lead you to probably be more liberal in 2017 since the Republican Party actively works AGAINST science. Either that or they believe in Science but accept that their representatives just disagree in this one key area.

At the end of the day we just want to help and protect our family so even if you are a smart engineer, but you work for Halliburton, you can find a way to rationalize just about anything if you know it's good for you.

But yeah I have no clue how the thread got to this topic. Obama will go down in history as a legend IMO. Snuggled in between Bush Jr and Trump he's going to look pretty damn good.

18. cml750

cml750 Member

That may very well explain it. To be fair, there have been a few foreign engineers that have spent time at the sites I have worked at that I never discussed politics with. They could possibly be liberal.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I worked with engineers for over 20 years. Outside of friends and very trust-worthy co-workers, we do not discuss religion or politic. If someone said they never know a liberal (or a political lending) engineer, that's likely because that person also do not discuss politic except within certain group and that group is probably like-minded individual. The echo-chamber effect in play.

My experience with engineers include extreme conservative, extreme religious, extreme liberal, extreme libertarian, complete atheist.

20. Spooner

Spooner Member

Smug is an adjective bro. You can't use adjectives as nouns. Your enthusiasm is much appreciated. Better luck next time!