1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvey Recovery and Cleanup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

According to my churchgoing friends and family up here, the food/clothing/etc... donation drives are already starting. Unfortunately they're used to this after Katrina/Rita/Ike.

Talked to my friends about getting a work/supply convoy together to head down once it's actually possible to do so. I know it's early and the worst is still coming, but if there are distribution centers, shelters, etc... that need supplies and eventually clutchfans who need cleanup help, post things here.

Anyone who can donate anything to your local donation drop, even if you can't physically help, please do.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep me informed. I'm going to see what's going on here in Minnesota to help. After Ike I put together a trip taking some U of MN Architecture students down to Surfside Beach to repair houses. Might see about doing the same thing again.

I've got experience rebuilding after disasters so any help or advice I can give please let me know. I've also got a bunch of frequent flier miles and my work is slowing down a bit so might consider making a trip to Houston if I can help on the ground.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Doesn't look lke a lot of people have visited this thread but let's keep it going. I'm sure there are many Clutchfans who live outside of South Texas who want to help.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think the thread title needs to be changed - no offense at all intended to Buck.

I just know that I glanced right past it when I was searching for this thread after you mentioned it rocketsjudoka.

I'm interested to keep seeing the responses in this thread as I genuinely would like to know what may be done to help in the near future.

5. Buck Turgidson

None taken.

Changed to what?

Heading to Rockport in the morning....

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm starting to work on doing fundraising and collecting donations of goods to bring down to Texas. I'm not going to try to get to Houston but am planning to go to the shelters being opened in Dallas or Austin this weekend. I'm going to tag Bobrek and geeimsobored who live in Minnesota to see if they want to help. Message me through the board. Any other posters who live in Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas or Iowa and want to help let me know.
    @bobrek @geeimsobored

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am in Omaha, let me know if you need help

9. CallMeTheDream

Where can a brother get some food? Any open stores on the southwest side?

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Best bet is looking online for the closest HEB or Krogers and see if they're open. Try the bigger stores.

DonKnock and CallMeTheDream like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks will let you know as things come together.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If you can't get to a store but can make it to one of the shelters they should be able to feed you even if you don't stay there.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  13. CallMeTheDream

Preciate the help. Kroger on w belfort is closed and couldnt get to HEB on Braeswood.

DonKnock and Torn n Frayed like this.
  14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The need blankets at george r brown.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have heard very good things about "Direct Relief." The greatest amount of your donation will go to people who need it.

https://www.directrelief.org/

Nothing wrong with the Red Cross, of course, but Mrs. B-Bob and I are going here. Also looking into shipping some clothing and canned food once we figure out the best place / time.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Apparently fiesta on fondren and WB is open.

Earlier I went to the Valero on willowbend close to hilcroft ... It was open , but I think it's closing for the night soon . You could probably find some snacks there or something .

DonKnock and CallMeTheDream like this.
  17. zzpot

zzpot Member

When you say WB are you saying Fondren @ West Bellfort?....... I'm on West Airport @ S. Gessner In the Fondren Meadows subdivision at a friends house... I had to swim out of Meyerland right @ the 610 loop and Braeswood exit south bound it was hell. it took me 9 hours to get over here but I'm safe and dry for now...... The Walmart @ Gessner & W. Bellfort has been closed sense Saturday midnight, but may reopen today.... not sure if it flooded out or not.

The two gas stations here at West Airport @ S. Gessner are still open but I have not been down there sense Saturday night but they still have electricity... I can see the light when I walk down to the corner to look. My shoes fell apart from walking so far in the water the glue just did not hold the bottoms on........ They were a pair of Nike I got on sale for $48.00 the first week of June.... The kid next door gave me an old pair but water leaks in from the bottom.... I don't see the hole though, they are just worn out. I lost everything and so did the people I was living with in the Meyerland house...... They made it to George R Brown down town but said it was not a place to be unless you just had to be there...... I think they got picked up and are now at high ground north on Hwy 290 in a house with family.
    Before my friend left the GRB I asked him if I should go down there and he said stay where you are... The place has way too many people with Metal Problems and plus I have a bad left leg and it is sore as heck from the trek out of the flood. So I'm better off here for now, just not sure what comes after this... Lost what little cash I had in the high water. I guess the current stripped it out of my pocket... took the change too, about 26 bucks... it could be a lot worse, tens of thousands of people lost more in one day than I have ever owned in my life. What comes next........

DonKnock, leroy and Dgn1 like this.
  18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Wow man, your a soldier. Prayers sent

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm planning on doing a collection of material this week that I'm going to drive down to Texas. Most likely the shelters in Dallas, Austin or some other place outside of Houston taking a lot of evacuees. Here's a list of material that I'm planning on collecting:
    1. Diapers
    2. Wet Wipes
    3. Kleenex
    4. Towels
    5. Hand sanitizer
    6. Blankets / sleeping bags
    6. Socks
    7. Underwear (new)
    8. Toothbrushes
    9. Toothpaste
    10. Soap
    11. Deodorant
    12. Shampoo / Conditioner
    13. Tampons

I'm not planning on collecting clothes, food or water. Too often these type of drives are looked as an excuse to get rid of old clothes that are too worn out or not climatically appropiate. Often the donated food ends up being an excuse to just clean out the cupboard and we end up with things like cans of capers. Water is critical but it's a waste of resources to be trucking water thousands of miles when there are resources much closer.

If anyone wants to use this list for their own collections in their communities please do so. I'm planning on driving down I-35 from Houston and will be passing through the cities of Des Moines, KC, and OKC. If any other Clutchfans along the way want to donate maybe we can work out collection spots and / or putting together a convoy to bring donations down.