1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvey Recovery and Cleanup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Aug 27, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Charity Navigator rates them off the charts. I didn't even know about them.

Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm flying into Houston as soon as I can (hopefully this weekend if the roads clear up and the airports reopen). When are you leaving MSP? Maybe I can contribute some stuff for you to take to Texas.

3. Bob Barker 007

I personally prefer Samaritan's Purse over the Red Cross, and I believe Charity Navigator has Samaritan's Purse ranked higher. Samaritan's Purse is sending five relief trucks to five locations in Texas: Rockport, Victoria, Santa Fe/Galveston, and two to Houston. They also will have opportunities for outside volunteers (or locals, if available) to join them in the distribution process. I trust SP because they have been willing to do what it takes to get help to a disaster area, including bringing help to places like South Sudan, Liberia during the Ebola epidemic, and New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I will send you a message.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Man , sorry to hear .

Yes I mean west belfort . Though it sounds like you might have found several other options that are closer .

I've seen some pics of meyerland . It's incredible that I can live so close to the bayou and not flood and just a couple of blocks down the street people take on 3 feet of water.

It's infuriating not being able to get out and help . I don't have a truck or boat . My Subaru is super close to the ground.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. zzpot

zzpot Member

I'm not going to go to a shelter if I can help it.... My friend has said I can stay here but I can tell he is none too happy about it. He does see now, just how lucky he is that he still has what he has, so I don't think he will put me out, plus he is not a total ass and I have done tons for things for him including putting him up for 3 weeks when his x-wife was acting a fool.

Back then he had a job to go to everyday and covered all his expenses and even bought most of the beer, so it was not a burden and every other night he was back at his house with her so she would not come to my place and act a fool.

My problem is I don't have my part time job to go to and I'm flat broke. Right now I just want a cheese Burger a 6 pack of beer and some cigars to smoke.... hell I don't even have a 99cent lighter anymore to keep one lit... that got washed way too.

I'm going to make a list of basic stuff... like 3xL pocket T- shirts..... size 9 1/2 to 10 sneakers.... Size 6 to 10 crew socks... tooth brush and paste and a backpack to carry stuff if needed...... Things like that.... I'll make a new post when I get things working out... I'm using this guys Computer and maybe the M.Jack phone.... But I need to ask him if what I'm doing is ok first. If anyone wants to help with small cash or gift cards that would be great... Walmart gift cards can buy socks and food ... I'll make a list later, I've been on his PC too long and need a break.

DonKnock likes this.
  7. zzpot

zzpot Member

You may want to contact a local guy here by the name of Michael Berry that is a talk show host for 740 AM and tell him what you think you can offer to Houston and others.... The man may surprise you at what he can help with in ideas as you try to help us.

Try to contact Michael Berry here...
    http://ktrh.iheart.com/contact/

Thank you for asking how to help us.....

Contact me (zzpot) here... I need help too and am being proactive in asking for it.

harveyhelp2017@yahoo.com

Please note, the above email (harveyhelp2017@yahoo.com) is for helping me (zzpot) only, I will give more info through that email as to my personal needs because I am out of my normal home and staying with kind friends that are sheltering me at this time.

My plan is simple... stay out of a Shelter and cover my ass as best I can and be as of little burden to the people keeping me off the streets with a roof over my head.

Thank you all

Rick.

DonKnock, Hakeemtheking and Yung-T like this.
  8. zzpot

zzpot Member

I wish I was a logistics disaster expert to guide you in what to do, but I'm not.. to be honest, at this time i'm looking at ways to get help for me, and not stand in or clog up the lines that everyone else is standing in to get the cookie cutter help the experts have to offer people that are in pure shock for losing it all and in distress, as they stand in one ( shelter) line to the next. What you are doing and working for is a god send to all of us in TEXAS.... In fact I want to make you a Texan and encourage you to help until it hurts so good that you can no longer stand it.

I don't know why but I just feel pride, and proud about Americans like you, with all that is happening all around me in the slowly sinking waters of Houston, you and so many others like you, from near and far are reaching out to us......... Thank you rocketsjudoka for being strong for us all!! Your thoughts and others alone are a microscope focus of the shadow Eclipse we all just witnessed days ago that now pinpoints real humanitarian needs from this crisis in Texas to the next. Today it is the passing storm of Harvey over Texas and the Golf Coast. I can say with hope... Texas will make it... we will survive. Caring and giving souls like you automatically make you a Texan. Unique in kind!!!

Contact me
    harveyhelp2017@yahoo.com

Rick.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Where are you staying right now?

I can try to get you some basic stuff like sneakers or hygiene stuff. Let me know.

My last post wasn't coherent. So just editing. Can you specifically list what you need right away?

#29 DudeWah, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  10. zzpot

zzpot Member

You can email me here... I thought this would or could work better instead of posting it all on the BBS... Hell you can call me if you like.. My name is Rick... I'm in South west Houston right at West Airport and South Gessner. Any help you can give is GREAT!

harveyhelp2017@yahoo.com

Rick.

DonKnock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. zzpot

zzpot Member

I'm staying with a friend so I can't just act like I own the place..., I'm using all of my friends things.. like this PC.... This Clutch Fans account is mine.. the email is mine... the phone # is theirs not mine.

I mean we can meet up if you like but we need a plan... I like plans.. schedules .. they work and make time not a waist. that's just me. and it is safer for us both... just saying.

Your right I need a list... I'm posting and not planning... Procrastination... shyt... yes my list... githerdone.. NOW!! Rick.
    One hella list coming soon... Thanks Dudewah

If people email me at this link then they are not posting their private stuff over the BBS and it is between myself and that person... just saying... I thought this would work and not get too confusing for me or you.

harveyhelp2017@yahoo.com

Rick.

#31 zzpot, Aug 30, 2017
  12. zzpot

zzpot Member

I'm going to rest for 20 minutes before a ride picks me up... I have to go get it. It's 6am... I have to try.

harveyhelp2017@yahoo.com

Rick

DonKnock likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Rick thanks and I'm already a Texan. I live in Minnesota right now but am a native Houstonian. I'm working on getting together a collection to drive down to Texas right now but might follow up on the contacts you've provided. I've got a few more ideas for after I get this initial collection done but given everything is fluid right now want to get through this first effort before taking on more.

Keep staying safe and appreciate the kind words.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Please pass this to anyone in the Houston area or otherwise affected by Hurricane Harvey.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in conjunction with other organizations, (including JustServe.org, LDS Mormon Helping Hands, Catholic Charities, etc.) currently has a hotline available to submit work orders for specific need requests related to the damages and for cleanup efforts. There is no charge for these services. They are mobilizing thousands to come and help muck out homes, assist in the cleanup effort, clear out fallen trees and debris, etc. This has been done in many cities throughout the world.

By calling the hotline number, a volunteer will take down the information you need and create a work order, and then attempt to send a volunteer crew out to help. This includes removing carpet, cutting down tree limbs, etc.

Be aware that there is still difficulty getting crews into some neighborhoods, but these volunteers will come as they are able and help to start the rebuilding process.

Hotline numbers:
    800-451-1954
    844-965-1386

#34 DarkHorse, Aug 30, 2017
    DonKnock and Torn n Frayed like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've reserved my trailer and set up a collection to bring material down. The soonest I would be arriving in Texas would be Sunday night. It sounds like might be able to get into Houston then. Should I go straight to GRB or does anyone recommend going to another locations to donate?

DonKnock likes this.
  16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I've been told that if we want to donate items directly, they would prefer we didn't try to bring them directly to Houston, but to use an organization coordinating disaster recovery. This is a local group in Austin collecting needed supplies for disaster victims.

https://www.justserve.org/projects/40081b7a-5c70-4ae6-a688-ca2d0f432208

4. Donate Needed Supplies: We've been advised to NOT take items directly to Houston or directly to shelters. They are not equipped to handle donations there, no matter how well meaning. Instead, there are organizations such as the Austin Disaster Relief Network that coordinates with various shelters to supply their needs. They have the warehouse space and ability for intake of these items. We will post volunteer and donation-in-kind opportunities on JustServe.org

DonKnock likes this.
  17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Just saw this on NextDoor.com:

NRG needs translators

They have plenty of Spanish speakers, but they badly need translators for Farsi, Urdu, Vietnamese and Tagalog. If you can help and have fluency in these languages, feel free to head down to NRG at 9:00 am tomorrow, or anytime you can make it.​

DonKnock likes this.
  18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

For those families needing immediate shelter in north Houston or Richmond area...

DonKnock likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks DarkHorse. Things are still pretty fluid so I will check again before I leave Minnesota. If I haven't heard anything differently about Houston will head to Austin.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

[​IMG] Priming the pump for donations to take down.[​IMG]

Apparently can't post an image of a bunch of toiletries to be donated.