1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvey Recovery and Cleanup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, that's what I thought too. When I say he owes the payments missed, I mean right then. Not that it wouldn't need to be repaid at some point.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Anybody looking for opportunities to volunteer with the cleanup, there is still a ton of work to be done. We just got back from weekend #3 of the cleanup, and they already sent out another request for more volunteers for next weekend. There's just an overwhelming amount of work to be done getting all those affected areas back on track.

3. hvic

hvic Member

how do volunteers sign up? I would love more info so I can pass it on. Ive been volunteering at the food bank lately.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I've personally been working with Helping Hands, which is part of LDS Charities. No requirement to be LDS to participate in those groups, and they are well supplied. https://www.justserve.org/projects/857d20a4-d034-452e-b1ab-823e1d0846a7

But I'm sure there are other groups as well.

I heard over this weekend that groups like this will ultimately report all of their volunteer hours to FEMA, and that FEMA will then take all of those hours and actually deduct from the ensuing tax burden from all of the financial relief that will fall out as a result of all the damage. Anyway, just a side benefit, I thought that was cool.

(alternatively, you could just PM me and I can set you up with a group for this Saturday and/or Sunday. I live in Austin, but my brother lives up in Cypress and he said he's done 140 houses so far)

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Well now our debris pile is soaked. Wonder if it will start smelling soon?

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DarkHorse, I might get in touch with you later. I'm working on trying to get construction materials, tools and volunteers down.

7. Buck Turgidson

Rockport/Port A is still a mess. 3 trips and the 4th to come.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've had this conversation with my mortgage company. They are doing an automatic 90 day moratorium on late fees and stuff, but expect you to be back on track at the end of 90 days. They said at that time, we can work out some payment plan if I can't keep up, but that might look like spreading the backed payments over the next 12 months (in addition to the regular payments). It would not be moved to the back-end of the mortgage. That was Chase Bank, but I don't imagine other banks are much different. In my view, you should think of the bank's relief efforts as nothing but a Public Relations stunt. Don't look in that direction for any real help. Keep paying your mortgage the same as you always have or you might find yourself in a financial ditch you can't pull yourself out of.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

North Houston/Aldine area here. Still haven't cleaned up our street but the good news is, despite over a foot of water in our shop...nothing serious was damaged and we are going to get help from the insurance company.

Now we wait lol...the street is overloaded with trash and we need to get plans made regarding the offices so we can move on with our work!

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can anyone provide a status update on the recovery -- how are things looking?

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, and what would help from afar? Removed TX bros want to help.

12. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Has crime in other areas affected by Harvey been worse lately? We are in Westbury and people have been breaking into homes that are still being repaired, cars, and gunshots heard most nights.

My wife was held up at gunpoint yesterday in front of our house at 5:00 pm. Most likely going to take the loss and move but just curious if it is like this in other semi-empty areas.

13. Buck Turgidson

Damn. Haven't heard anything like that from Corpus/Port A.

There's a special place in Dante's 5th Concentric Circle of Hell for those people.

bigben69 likes this.
  14. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

That's scary. I saw it made the news. I hope they find him.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...tbury-reddit-2018-12787636.php?ipid=happening

15. bigben69

bigben69 Member

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, this was a problem in our neighborhood. We aren't there anymore, but the vacant homes were being squatted by criminals and they would break into non flooded homes during the day when people weren't there. The neighborhood ended up putting more constables in to try to stop it. Didn't matter.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I've heard a couple of stories about burglaries in Meyerland. I'm in Westbury as well and my street hasn't had any troubles. Unless you count the general contractors.

18. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Yeah i remember hearing about Meyerland and thinking how horrible it was then slowly but surely it was happening here. The come into the neighborhood and then make the escape down Ludington. My wife actually caught someone stealing stuff from the garage of one of the homes and saw the same guy a couple of days later. She informed the police and guess they haven't caught him because i read on Nextdoor that it was happening a street over also. House across the street had the door kicked in and stuff stolen. Next door had stuff stolen from the house and garage by people in a black truck. The car that was used in my wife's robbery was stolen from our neighborhood basically down the street last week. Police have since told us the same car (Black Toyota Highlander) has been used in a few other robberies in the area also. So the car was stolen and driven around the same area it was stolen for a week. I never thought i would say this but we really need more police presence around here. We pay constable fees but there is only 1 on duty at a time in our area. After the interview aired on channel 11, we received quite a few calls from officers saying they are working on this. Hopefully it puts some pressure on them to be around more because we do not feel safe at all.

It is kinda funny but i was getting pretty annoyed with all of the contractors but i really wish they were around that day. Of course they have been around pretty much every other day this week. My wife couldn't even find a way to call 911 until 1 neighbor randomly came home. We are already looking in other areas to move.