1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden was sick. He just wouldn't say it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, May 9, 2018.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

James Harden press conference, May 11, 2017, after being eliminated by the Spurs:
    Q: Are you dealing with anything? Are you hurt at all, or worn down?
    A: I’m good. I’m good.

Daryl Morey interview with Zach Lowe, Feb. 24, 2018:
    Q: Did James Harden really just get tired in Games 5 and 6 of the Spurs series? Is that really all that happened? …
    A: Only James Harden knows. I would say, my best understanding, which is literally only my understanding, is we put too much on him.

James Harden press conference, May 8, 2018, after eliminating the Jazz:
    Q: James, Mike was saying you were under the weather, dealing with some stuff, playing through everything. What exactly was going on with you? Just sickness or—
    A: Nothing.

He doesn't tell you when he's sick. He didn't this year, he didn't last year. And it's the same time of year. Possibly the same illness. He certainly played like a sick man in that Spurs game. Based on the pattern, I don't think the solution to what happened last year is any more complicated than "James Harden is too proud to tell the truth."

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Kardashian Curse is real folks.

I'm positive.

J Sizzle and lnchan like this.
  3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

dunno if its pride. his critics would just add excuses to their list of his shortcomings .

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

He doesn't like making excuses. It's a good trait to have.

I just hope that he's 100% by Monday. Being sick takes a lot out of you--it took me over a week to get back out running after a bad cold recently.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I once saw Neil Peart of Rush play a perfect concert in Houston @ The Summit when he had the full-blown flu. There's nothing more difficult than drumming his parts on the drum kit. It's all mental and physical.

Being sick doesn't always translate into poor performance. Harden didn't seem very sick when he stole the ball from Donovan and ran it across court for the dunk!

It's probably why Harden doesn't use illness as an excuse and won't even breach the topic when brought up. He can still run, shoot, etc. .

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Pollen is a b**** right now in Houston and that's coming from me who's is suffering like a mofo right now with cold, congestion, watery eyes, sinus headaches, etc... I can't imagine physically performing any elite activity with the way i'm feeling right now. Harden is a beast who doesn't care what people think about him and doesn't care to defends himself which is why i go out of my way to support him everywhere i can. He's my MVP.

luckyman76 likes this.
  7. threepointshot3

Tough SOB

SF3isBack!! and Stormy1234 like this.
  8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

it was mentioned in Clutch's recent podcast about what benefit does Harden get for admitting he was sick? People would criticize him for making excuses for poor play. Others may reference other players who toughed through more serious injuries/sickness and performed. He really just was in a no win situation given that the general media do not have a favorable opinion of him.

The only thing that worries me is if he really did suffer a concussion in game 3 when Gobert knocked him down and he hit his head hard and Harden (or the Rockets) kept it under wraps. Similar to the speculation of what happening in the late stages of game 5 last year when he was elbowed in the head by Gasol and of course the infamous game 6. Given Harden's history (he suffered one when Artest elbowed him back when he was on OKC) I can see this be something, but its up to Harden to say something which I dont think he will. The team should try to force upon him a concussion protocol given who he is and what he means to the franchise but again its all speculation.

Hopefully this 5 day break until Game 1 is what he needs to get back to 100% because the Rockets need that Harden to play in the WCF to even have a chance against GS.

9. threepointshot3

With trolls like them there is no reasoning

#9 threepointshot3, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yeh, far better that he just let everyone wonder wtf just happened... why give the fans an explanation... just let them argue about whether he was concussed or hungover or pissed off or whatever...
    This is the aloofness that has always pissed me off about James Harden... people are pulling for him and the team... supporting them and spending their time and money... screw giving them any kind of explanation... smh....

Stormy1234 likes this.
  11. threepointshot3

Are we gonna blame the same curse when he hoists the mvp trophy up ?

RCPM likes this.
  12. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

hope its not concussion symptons after hitting his head.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Demar DeRozan just confessed to having anxiety and depression.

I hope it's not something he can't come clean about.

Sometimes dealing with immense pressure will do enough to one's psyche. The CP signing makes even more sense now.

Hope it's just a smaller concussion.

#13 daywalker02, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Sidarma, mikol13 and Stormy1234 like this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He seems to get "sick" at inopportune times.

jbasket, rm365, csc177 and 8 others like this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The benching in the legendary comeback game versus LAC in 2015 was May 12th. :eek:

in the WCF vs GSW, he did have a 38-10-9 (13-21 FGS, 3-6 3s, 3 Stl, 1 Blk, 2 TOs) in a 1pt loss and 45-9-5 (13-22 FGs, 7-11 3s, 2 Stl, 2 Blk, 3 TOs) in a blowout win.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

We already know this, he never says he's sick and he lets the media go off on him for reasons I cannot understand.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

The 'benefit' would be giving your fan base an explanation - so they dont feel like a bunch of idiots...
    Other team fan: "What happened to yer boy, Harden?"
    Rockets fan: " I don't know.... i heard he might've been concussed... but idk..."

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It does him an injustice to say he's not sick when he is.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  19. theimpossibles1

What good would it do to tell people he was sick?

It's called leadership yall.

No excuses, only adjustments.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just because he didn’t look sick as you say does not mean he wasn’t. He tried to power his way through it and made a huge play.

Sick of the Harden haters when he’s been one of the best players this organization has ever seen.

Have you ever gone to work while you were sick? We’re you at your best when doing so? Probably not.