1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greetings from Sacramento...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carmichael dave, Feb 8, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I dont think is the same player i've seen play over the last 9 yrs or so. I know players get older, but he doesnt have the explosion/first step he had last year. Alot of it could be the ankle and i think thats what it is. It laso seems he's pressing because of the contract situation. People dont agree with me, but i would've given or offered a 4yr 45m extension and let him relax and play in peace. Ron seems like a guy that needs to be shown appreciation. I think sinec he's never had a very good payday, partly because gm's dont know if they can trust him, he really wants validation. he's been the best 2 way player from the wing in the league for a few years, but when you see guys dwarfing his salary, it really makes player wonder. Had they given him the extension, i think you would see a guy playing more in the flow and not trying to be instant offense. Again, i want to see how he plays after the all star break when his ankle gets better. I really think he's going to be better in the playoffs when the games get tight.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

dh>yao?

is that why yao dominates him every time? call me when howard has a back to the basket game.

edit:.......or i guess i'll call you.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I saw enough BEFORE the trade to know they were not compatible, and now they have played more than 25 games together and nothing has changed my mind.

One at a time on the floor with Yao is great, but both Tmac and Yao at the same time.....neither one moves their body they wait for the ball in their hands to do something...YUCK !! Pure stagnation.

Yes, I agree, and he has a valuable contract, but McGrady is more valuable next year, so Ron should go...it is Asset management.

DD

4. leebigez

I may be deaf,dumb, and blind, but i think his ankle is what prevents him from moving more. Also, i think trading him for regular season success vs post season success is wrong. I would trade anyone on this roster, but i think come playoffs, he's going to be more valuable than mike miller or kirk hinrich. Now like i've said before if i can get a quality big back , I'll do it, but we've seen what happens whn the defense plays physical with yao and tilts to tracy and we have guys incapable of making plays. I think with Wafer,Ron,and aaron its alot better.

5. DaDakota

He was getting blown by on the perimeter BEFORE the ankle injury, what hurts him is that he is SLOW laterally.....and he can not guard the quicker 2s...

In order to even out those matchups he needs to punish those guys on the post, but with Yao down there, he can not get back at them, and it makes the matchups uneven.

He doesn't fit !

DD

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ron has been one of my favorite players this year. Although the way he plays can be frustrating for this system, Ron is never short on effort and grit. I do wish that he would stop trying to take over every game and instead try to fit within the flow of the offense. I love it when he cuts to the post and gets the ball and he scores. I wish he would shoot less threes (unless he is open). I think he needs to stop driving in as much (usually this is when he stops the ball the most) and instead give the ball back up if the defense doesn't give him anything and attempt to cut into the midrange and get a pass back.

I'm still hoping this might work and I know Ron can do it. I love his defense and I love his game. It isn't the prettiest out there but he gets it done when he comes to play. I hope he changes his style a bit for the sake of the system. His defense and his toughness is needed on this team.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So is it about "Asset management" or winning?

Because I can tell you this, our soft-ass team will never win a ring if we do
    not have a killer on this squad. Ron could be that guy. Ron goes, our shot at
    ring goes with it...

We would not have a chance in hell against the Cavs, Lakers, Celtics without
    Ron Artest...

8. leebigez

I think that even if thats the case, come playoff time there will be wrinkles to take advantage of the situation because it benefits the team. There might be or should be possessions when yao is mid postfront side and when the ball swings, Ron is low blocks opposite with a smaller man on him. This allows the pin on one side and offensive rebounding on the other. Like i said, he's not finishing his plays or going to the rack because lack of lift in that ankle.

DD, You make it seems like everyone isnt struggling on defense. Shane,Tracy,yao, are all struggling on defense also. Scolandry always suck on defense, so thats nothing new. Mike Miller,Maggette,Hinrich, those arent good defensive players either. Now i've said that if i could get corey and turiaf for artest and battier, i'll do it, but i doubt it happens.

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Nonononono, Not in the slightest........

Calling Ron Artest slow laterally is just a joke and a travesty...
    How the hell can he contain Lebron? Paul Pierce? Kobe Bryant? being slow laterally?

I will tell you this, He is 10 billion times the defender Shane and Tracy are this year............

Or Yao, Scola, Landry............ well anyone really......

Rafers been solid though...

10. DaDakota

The team as structured will not win....and Ron will not be re-signed, so you have to use his contract to get a piece that fits better.

One of Ron or Tracy has to go, and Ron is the easiest piece to trade.

Contain? He does bother them, but he does not contain them.

Yes, defense has been a problem, but the team was great on D in years past without Ron, and can be again.....

Offense is the problem, just like Daryl Morey said....Ron stagnates the offense something fierce, and he is not a good shooter....he is struggling badly inside the 3pt line.

DD

11. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

It's really sweet that you love your dear husband so much, but I am unsure as to what makes him greater than Yao.

12. LFE171

LFE171 Member

I think he's been positive for the team. Although he's missed 13 games, alot of the shortcomings have happened because our TEAM defense sucked. Battier was out a whole bunch of games, Mcgrady with 17, etc.

Artest does have r****ded shot selection at times, but for him to call out tmac about playing more defense, how the team needs to be aggressive, how he's bringing in the 2nd unit nicely now that he comes off with them. Those things are GREAT.

Just watch, after all star break, Artest will be our guy who really brings this team together. He's already started.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

To a certain extent he does. I realize NO ONE can "contain" those players....
    But he does what he does better than anyone, Guard those players....

This team CAN win!

We could use adjustments, but we do have players other than the Big 3 that have value...

Shane/Rafer/Carl

Should all be shopped before Ron imo.....

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Ron is who we thought he was. He brings toughness to the team which is much needed. His offense can be hot one day and cold the next.

P.S Tell Artest to teach Yao how to play more ghetto please.

15. DaDakota

I don't mind any and everyone being shopped, but Ron's expiring is the most attractive to teams.....you get the Kwame for Gasol deals when teams are changing direction.

Tmac will have that value next year.....Ron does this year, and I don't think for one second that the team intends to keep Artest beyond this year, and if that is the case, you have to get something for him NOW.

Overall, I love that Ron speaks his mind, calls Tmac out for his lack of effort, and in general seems to be a GREAT guy.

I just want a better piece for Yao's team....a Hinrich, Maggette, M. Miller, A. Miller etc.

DD

16. rhee

rhee Member

i beleive ron to be gentle-hearted, and kind guy. his character is an asset to this team. i mean who else has a multi-million $ salary, yet teaches kids how to truly color inside the lines, helps out the community in his spare time by donating blood, helping out at the local garage sale. mr. ron artest you are only human, but i believe you will be testament to this team, as God's purpose for man, and bring us a championship!

:cool:

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

As his 5 assists per game in the last 5 would show you....

It is getting better and better. We need time....

18. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

His stats are better than Yaos. He's more consistent than Yao. He's gone further in the playoffs than Yao. He doesn't get injured as easily as Yao. His team is doing better than Yaos.

How's that?

19. TheBigAristotle

It would be nice though if we had an actual murderer as the leading scorer or for our team leader. We can all agree an ax-murderer would surely strike fear into our opponents.

20. DaDakota

If he stays beyond the trade deadline...fine.....but it will be a waste of his contract, IMO.

DD