1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: James to meet with Avery; decision could come tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brando2101, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: James to meet with Avery (Monday)

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/15004712.htm

"Free agent Mike James is scheduled to meet with Mavericks coach Avery Johnson today in Las Vegas, according to a team official, and the decision on where the former Toronto point guard will play next season could be made tonight.

James became the Mavs' No. 1 free-agent target this off-season once the team reached an agreement with guard Jason Terry, so Johnson is flying to Las Vegas -- where the Mavs are competing in a summer league -- today for the meeting. Mavs owner Mark Cuban talked with James extensively Thursday in Las Vegas.

Houston, Minnesota and Miami also are reportedly interested in signing James. Free agents can sign contracts beginning Wednesday.

James, 31, spent the first two years of his five-year NBA career with Miami after the Heat signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2001. In 2004-05, he played with Houston for the last 27 games of the regular season and in the playoffs.

James averaged career highs in points (20.3) and assists (5.8) last season with Toronto."

Dallas is trying to get Kenyon Martin but Denver wants Stackhouse in return. If they get james you gotta think they would be willing to lose Stackhouse.

Scary

#1 Brando2101, Jul 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

He's coming to Houston. Dallas is just being desperate at this point. :)

3. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

well lets hope a decision is made soon, because if not we have to start working on a replacement.

4. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I get the feeling James is gonna screw us.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Initially I thought he would be coming to Houston but I don't think so anymore.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It does not sound like good news for Houston. Hopefully this bad feeling I have is just paranoia.

If James does sign with Dallas then Houston is left with a significantly smaller field of free agents and many fewer options due to all of the free agent and off season manuverings since July1.

It certainly does not mean that Houston can not make some quality moves but it certainly limits them and makes it more likely that this will be just another wasted off-season.

7. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

We'll soon see if he harbors any ill feelings twoards the Rockets for trading him last year.

8. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

hopefully avery spits on him with his big ass mouth and Mike James finds it as a symbol of dissrespect and signs with us for the veteran minimum to only show up dallas that much more.

After the spitting accident, Mike James then becomes the Mav Killer and drops 45 points, 13 assists, 2 steals, and 1 rebound. We happily march to the Westen conference finals with an eventual of match up Gay and Tmac and Tmac wipes the floor clean with Gay and Yao body slams Pau Gasol's teeth straight. Then Yao stands over Pau like Ali over Liston

[​IMG]

and then says in his broken english, " There is an L in Paul Pau."

Then we eventually lose to the hawks in 4 games in the finals.

9. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

I started to think the same thing a few nights ago...

What if Cuban offered him some off the record incentives?

I hope we get him...

If not, THEN, we are in trouble...

10. bigdawgtt

bigdawgtt Member

I feel the same way. He will probably get his revenge on houston for trading him last year. And even if he does sign its not like he is the missing piece to a championship.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Man. People on this board are soooo fickle.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Whatever happens I would just like to know as soon as possible so we can either move on to other FA guards or try and address our other needs if he does end up signing with us

13. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

That's what I'm thinking as well. :(

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

actually its a good sign for the rox.. the mavs was not confident enough that cuban has convinced james to play for them that they had to send the lil general.. it now depends on which coach james to play for jvg or aj..

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yes!!! But he is one of the significant role players leading to a championship.
    Just try and think of him with the Mavs and us in the Lottery again, with another round of refusing our selection all over again!!

16. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

If we dont get james, I want Swift & Gay back!!

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I think james will go to dallas too. Mav's more championship ready than us and paying him about the same amount of $. Why'd james come to houston? I dont think da fact his girl's from houston mean that much...

18. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

if M James doesn't come to the Rox, then I hope he goes to Dallas - I would love for him to be sitting on the Mavs bench not getting any playing time, then getting shipped off to Portland in some salary dump trade deadline deal

...Cuban is an idiot, the last thing his team needs is James (they already have Terry and Harris), they need a power forward with some level of courage and a shooting guard that can stop Wade

19. askball

askball Member

I think James has already made his decision. If he had decided on Houston this would have been done this past Thursday. I mean why else would he wait for an interview with Avery. I don't think an interview is gonna sway his decision away from Dallas and I expect the signing to be announced shortly thereafter. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    Mike needs to learn that his wife is always the boss!

20. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Not a good sign. Cuban probably already took care of the $$$, now Avery will promise the playing time. This BBS is going to be in flames tomorrow.