1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: James to meet with Avery; decision could come tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brando2101, Jul 10, 2006.

1. rocketball8

rocketball8 Contributing Member

I am trying to stay positive and believe that Mike will sign with Houston. Maybe he is just meeting with Avery as a courtesy for showing interest in him. Last week in the Chronicle, Duffy stated that he wants to discuss the situation with all the teams interested. Who knows maybe he has already decided to sign with us.

Come on home Mike.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I live in Dallas as well. Avery is a tough coach that will chew your ass out but the fact is that Dallas plays damn good defense AND damn good offense.

Marquis was in Avery's dog house because he refused to play defense. Marquis was a creation of Big Whistle and did not fit Avery's plans.

Mike James seems like the epitomy of an Avery Johnson type player.

3. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I'll say this:

If Dallas gets Mike James, it will be a lot easier for them to trade for Kmart or whatever next move they have in mind.

4. qian

qian Contributing Member

Somebody please educate me why the owner of this team is still so cheap on spending after the Gay trade. We as fans were told the course has set for win now. Had we offered MJ full MLE for 5 years today we will be talking about how to lure Bonzi wells to us via S$T and whatever so we will have a true shot to the conference final next year. Just couple more millions, and you are betting on a possible championship run with Healthy TMAC AND yao next year. I was talking to my friends in Dallas this morning and it made me mad why Mavs has such a great owner while we do not. It is going to bitter as hell to swallow the news tomorrow as we learn MJ joins Dallas and we have no good one left to sign :mad:

5. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I would sign Luther Head to that deal if it meant winning a handful of championships with Yao and T-Mac, but if we're still gonna go out in the first and second round for the duration of their time here, I'd rather take my chances on Rudy Gay. :p

BTW, Cassell and Payton are big time exceptions. That's assuming a lot, who knows...

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Im sick of hearing about Gay. Get over it.

7. solidrocketfan

solidrocketfan Contributing Member

Agree! I'd rather not have his big ego and a 5 yr contract. Bring on John Lucas III instead.

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

James wants the Rockets to offer him a 5th year. The Rockets have not budged. On the eve of his decision, he sets up an afternoon meeting with the Rockets biggest rival for his services. This is just posturing by James and his agent, imo. I say call his bluff.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Um, why is everyone freaking out over Mike James meeting with Avery Johnson?

Remember that Avery is flying out to see Mike James and not vice versa.

Yes, Cuban is a jerkoff. I'm sure he pointed out that "playing for the Mavs, you won't be asked to keep throwing it into Yao, Tracy is hurt, the Rox are four pieces away from contending, we almost won it all" etc.

Mike James is signing with Houston. His pregnant wife's family is here. Houston needs him. Dallas doesn't (as much).

Sure, we traded him away, but he knows we had remorse over it, and besides, does he love Vegas so much to stay there a week on his own dime? Bet you money the Rox are footing the bill for that trip and that Thibodeau is meeting with him every day.

In any case, wouldn't you love the attention? Especially if it gets you the contract you want?

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Seriously ....some people on here are so clueless....5 yr mle is a big contract? wtf

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I sincerely wish I could share that kind of optimism with you......

I'm nervous, i'll admit it. :(

12. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I agree, but Avery had the benefit of walking into a damn good offensive team. Nellie put together a very deep squad, and all Avery had to do was bring the defense intensity.

JVG brought the same defense to the Rockets, but they are no where near as deep as dallas. On offense, outside of Yao & McGrady, all of our starters should be bench players. Dallas has multiple bench players that would be starters for most teams :rolleyes:

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

no kidding, old news here. this thread isn't any more revealing then another "stromile swift and rudy gay for shane battier thread."

14. solidrocketfan

solidrocketfan Contributing Member

Seems like we end up regretting signing players like James to long-term contracts, MLE or not. One good year on a consistent lottery-bound Eastern Conference team and we think this guy is our last hope.

15. Rockets Dynasty

I tuned into WFAN to see if I got anything on this.

There was an interesting blurb.

Dallas and Minnesotta are offering supposedly

roughly 4 years $23.4 million

through the MLE

Houston is offering supposedly

4 years $20.3 million with a player option for 5 years $26.5 million

through the TE

or 4 years $23.4 million with a player option for 5 years at $30.6 million

through the MLE

James is now wanting Minny and Dallas to add the 5th year option which is why he is having more meetings.

If Dallas and Minny add the 5th year options, then he wants Houston to make the 5th year guaranteed and at the MLE, which is 5 years guaranteed and $30.6 million.

James' contract at 5 years would end then when he was age 35.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

A 5th year player option is as good as a 5th year garuntee because it is the players choice if the contract continues. As a player I would much rather have a player option then not.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

James and Duffy are playing the game and they should not be blamed for trying to squeeze out as much money as possible. James has been a journeyman player in the NBA. It must feel good to be the belle of the ball (er, so to speak) for once. If the Mavs are sticking to offering him 3 years I think the Rockets will nab him. I bet he signs with us for four years guranteed with a fifth year as a team option.

18. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I think it is going to come down to who is more fun to hang out with in Vegas, Carroll Dawson or Avery Johnson.

Mike James will play for Dallas half time and the Rockets half time.

Why go to Vegas to hang with those guys? Was Baltimore all booked from the Librarian conference?

19. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Team option or player option for the 5th year, Houston is offering?

20. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

In today's NBA you are absolutely correct, its not BIG money to them and in a different year we'd have no chance to get this guy with an MLE offer if so few teams had money to spend. Whether you think it legitimate or not the guy averaged over 20 points a game and over 5 assists. Look at the money that was thrown at Fisher last year and he never had the stats or played defense like James.

I got off of work expecting to see who he signed with (hopefully us) and I see half the board dancing to FREAKOUT. James knows he's making his last contract, he's just trying to make sure it's the right decision. Can't blame him at all, I would recommend it if I had his ear, but I'd also be whispering rockets, rockets, rockets.....