1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

How many coaches need to be fired before we finally wake up and realize that maybe they aren't the issue here? I mean, we fired Dom Capers only to watch him go to Green Bay and flourish. We fired Kubiak only to watch him go win one with Denver last year. I just get the sick feeling that when we fire O'Brien he'll probably run off to some team like Cinci or Miami and turn them into perennial SB contenders.

I think, that its got to be Rick Smith who is the problem, man. Fire that guy, right? Maybe give Bill O'Brien the keys to the whole thing for a few years and let him pick "his" players to run the show and see where that gets us? I mean, we can't possibly get any worse right? Just thinking about the Texans makes me wanna do a J, right now man.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Need new management. We fired two championship coaches to hire Bill O'Brien who has completely stalled our ability to get a quality QB, but the bulk of the blame lies at the feet of Rick Smith and the ownership.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. liveguy

liveguy Member

On offense...EVERYTHING begins with the QB.

He touches the ball more than anyone else.

If defenses don't respect the QB's arm or accuracy, you can't run the ball with any true consistency.

If you have speed at the WR postion, but the QB cant throw the ball accurately beyond 7 yards, the WR's are out there as garnish...

TE gets a couple passes here and there, but the speed you mentioned isn't being used properly because the QB is absolutely inept.

Offensively, on the field...ALL OF THIS falls at Assweillers feet...

On the sideline, obviously it falls at BO'B's feet...

In front office....Rick...etc. etc..

But at the end of the day, it's up to the players to execute, and all other skill players (speed players) are dependent on the QB, and if your QB is garbage, your offense is...you guessed it....GARBAGE.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. liveguy

liveguy Member

Not really....

If the Broncos really and truly wanted Brock, they would have made him a solid offer, but they didn't....and you should know by now, why they didn't. That's obvious...

They would have kept him at a certain introductory/test price (mainly to keep that defense together as much as they possibly could), and they refused to go above that test price because they knew he probably wasn't worth even that test price to begin with ...lets alone MORE than that. lol

So they let him walk....

It was their defense that won them that superbowl and Brock played a b-team version of Alex Smith type role in keeping them afloat during Peyton's "rest" period last season.

Texans came through like a thirsty virgin and took that broad to the most expensive restaurant in town and got nothing out of it for their efforts.

#704 liveguy, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Broncos offered him an average of 16 million a year with 30 million guaranteed. That isn't a solid offer?

Pen15clubber and zeeshan2 like this.
  6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Make no mistake the Broncos wanted Brock and he would be balling in Denver but they wasn't going to sell the farm to keep him.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I agree he'd be doing better in Denver because of Kubiak alone, but they know they dodged a bullet even if it was gonna be a similar 2 year guaranteed contract.

8. liveguy

liveguy Member

Obviously not solid enough to Brock...

It's funny when Brock and the Texans were out here (I'm in denver...from H-town, ALIEF BAYBEEE!!), sports radio 104.3 FM interviewed Brock and he said in that interview that he was hurt that the Broncos waited (this was mainly due to the V. Miller contract situation) to make him an offer...Texans swooped in added 7 mill more in guaranteed money, plus a few more millies up-front....

Brock, of course jumped at that shockingly stupid offer (cant blame him) and the Broncos breathed a long sigh of relief; cheaply picked up Sanchez, he washed out and then they WISELY went with Siemien allowing their drafted QB (Lynch) to sit and watch....

This is a team that just won a Super Bowl and that also KNEW why they won said super bowl.

It damn sure wasn't because of that clown QB wanting Sam Bradford money that he didn't at all deserve.....

Eagles..ahh..the Eagles....anyway...

Texans should have drafted that QB like McNair said they would and started Savage in the interim, but naw....

And now the Texans have the absolute unequivocally worst starting QB in the NFL.

That should be Denver!!!!!! UGH!!!!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Fire Rick Smith because I have no idea what he does
    Fire BO'B because his play calling and decisions are weird to me
    I'd be willing to give him an UN RICK year to see if it is any different but I doubt it

Rocket River

10. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

If you fire Bill, who exactly would you bring in to remedy this situation?

BTW, the Dude is not available for hire and I think it might put me into a higher tax bracket so don't choose me.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of semantics, it was certainly a "solid" offer. Folks act like Elway pulled a fast one on the Texans, but Elway did offer Osweiler a substantial contract and, at least for now, is fortunate he didn't accept it.

12. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

The problem with the Texans is that the owner does not held many accountable. In my opinion, Bill O'Brien and Rick Smith both needs to go. The most frustrating thing about Bill is since he got here a couple of years ago, this team has not progress at all. I am baffled with how dense he and Rick Smith is.

When Bill came to Houston, the Texans already lacked the most important position in football, a QB. He and Rick Smith made no attempts to draft a future QB that year he arrived. He instead opted to go with Ryan Fitzpatrick, journeyman. The next season, I thought at least they should made an attempt to evaluate a QB in the draft but again they did not. They opted to go with Brian Hoyer, another journeyman, and Ryan Mallett. At the time Ryan Mallett was still an unknown case but we had an idea quickly when he started playing.

After the Hoyer-Mallett experiment didn't work out, they still made no attempts to evaluate a rookie QB and draft one. They instead decides to throw throw a big contract at Brock Osweiler, who was unproven, and was not that impressive during his limited action. Its no surprise Brock Osweiler is not working out. Bill and Rick dug their own hole that they're stuck in right now. They opted not to draft a talented QB in the draft. Bill Obrien is dense enough to believe that he can plug anyone at QB and be successful.

Another thing with Bill is that he lacks any creativity offensively. How many more years are the Texans' defense going to continue to carry the offense? Everyone knows the Texans are a QB away from being anything remotely serious. This Brock Osweiler signing made it clear as day that Bill and Rick Smith are some of the worst QB evaluators right now. But when you look at it, Bill Obrien and Rick's QB of choice since Bill arrived in Houston has been Fitz, Hoyer, Mallett, and now Brock. What makes it worst is that they choose not to draft a QB and now do not have a young talented QB that is developing. Tom Savage is still unknown and its a stretch that he's NFL QB starter material and was drafted to be a backup.

If the Texans ever wants to be considered serious, it starts with upper management. Rick Smith has brought mediocrity for a decade and he's not going to bring much else, he needs to go. Bill Obrien already made it clear that he has no idea how to evaluate a QB. At this rate, Bill and Rick will continued bringing in a new journeyman QB that is backup material in free agency every season and hope that he will magically turn into Tom Brady under Bill O'Brien's QB Guru magic.

13. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

The thing is, the Texans were 9-7 in both seasons but that was mostly the work of the defense. Bill Obrien since coming here has made no progress with the offense and the team as a whole. The Texans has not progress at all. The Texans has not have a starting NFL QB since 2012 and Rick Smith and Bill Obrien has not addressed that issue and believed that plugging in Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Mallett or Osweiler was the way to go shows me they are clueless and has no idea how to evaluate a QB.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

lol this team is so bad

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Just changed my vote to yes. He's holding this team back. In game decisions and the lack of looking at whether he should start Savage or not, among other reasons.

Shame. I loved the guy when he came in. Fool's gold. I bought into the fact that he wasn't Kubiak.

I always liked Kubes, and was sad to see him go, but thought the time was right. I wish we would have kept him.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  16. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

No more excuses left for butt chin. This offense is pathetic and really has been subpar since he's been here. If this organization is about winning at a high level they can't stick with this guy.

17. AkeemTheDreem86

Been saying this for the better part of a decade: The coach is insignificant so long as Dick Breath is the GM.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Going for it on 4th down in that spot today was inexcusable as an nfl coach. That alone is a fireable offense.

DJboutit likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Can't fire OB this year. If you did, what quality coach would want this gig knowing they'd be stuck with Osweiler for their first year? Coaches have a relatively short window to prove themselves and nobody worth a damn is going to want to waste a year with Os as their QB. You almost have to give the OB/Brock combo another year. Then if you want a change, a new coach has a clean(er) slate to work with.

ramotadab likes this.