1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The reason is...Brock makes terrible decisions

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Nice response that addresses absolutely nothing. Answer this question, should any coach be reasonably expected to have a top flight offense with Hoyer, Fitz, or Osweiler as QB?

That's not an excuse, that's fact.

Now, if you want to argue about WHO was responsible for getting those QBs and what other legitimate options were available, then that's fair. But putting full blame on the coaching for offensive mediocrity when we're having to trot out the bottom of the barrel at QB every week is idiotic.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Nope. Manning threw considerably more interceptions (17 in 322 attempts v. 6 in 275 attempts) and completed a lower % of passes (59.8% v 61.8%) last year, pre-injury. There was zero statistical reason for benching Brock Osweiler for Peyton Manning. Hell, Osweiler's interception rate was better than still-MVP-level Manning's in '14.

Plenty of opportunities to pile on Osweiler; being benched last year, however, has nothing to do with his potential, or lack thereof. Do you honestly think Brock would've been benched for... Ryan Fitzpatrick if Fitz had posted a 1:2 TD/INT ratio before getting hurt? Of course not.

4. Mr. Clutch

Yes, I do.

Brock has no idea what is going on out there. He points at the middle linebacker every time because he doesn't know what he's looking at.

They trusted Peyton more. Yes, he had thrown more interceptions, but I would guess that wasn't poor decision making but just adjusting to having a weaker arm. They probably told him to just protect the ball going forward.

And in fact he proved that he could and did just that, throwing only 1 INT after coming back and replacing Brock.

Meanwhile, a year later, and Brock is still throwing more INTs than ever and looking completely clueless. And you think he should have been the starter for the Broncos in the playoffs?

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's not full blame but it is primary blame. No one is expecting top flight; just tangible growth and above average production. He's picked 5 different QBs, raved about all of them. Picked his offensive line, drafted two wide receivers, drafted a tight end, and signed a very productive running back. He got better than expected from Fitzpatrick and we all thought he was a QB guru...until Fitz did the same in NY last year.

For the record, I'm not advocating he get fired. In my opinion Godsey needs to be replaced.

6. Hey Now!

Player A: 59.8%; 6.8 YPA; 9 TD; 17 INT; 67.9 qb rating
    Player B: 61.8%; 7.2 YPA; 10 TD; 6 INT; 86.4 qb rating

Nobody, in a blind test, chooses A; B is significantly better. They went back to Peyton Manning because... he's Peyton Manning. It was in no way a negative reflection on Brock.

7. Mr. Clutch

Well it wasn't a blind test.

Kubiak could see beyond the stats and realize brock wasn't ready

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Based on the information we all had at the beginning of free agency, Brock was the best option available at QB for this team. Teams with higher draft picks could have gambled and waited on the draft, but the Texans couldn't. When you include the fact that they could cut him after next year, I think they made the best decision they could have. Only other thing they could have done was draft another QB as insurance.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I had to quote this.. because its hilarious!

If the dude would get some volatility into his snap cadence maybe he'd have opposing defenses more on their heels.

As is, he goes up there everytime and is worried about what the defense has up for him, and points at the middle linebacker because why not?

And I get it is a chess match, and the QB absolutely needs to read the defensive coverage. But as great QBs show over and over, you can do that fast, you can do that slow, you can audible, fake audible, adjust snap count and cadence, etc, etc. Take what the defense is showing you, and use it to your advantage to keep them on their heels, not vice versa.

Brock will never get to that point.

That said, of course you have to question B'Ob a lot as well. Play design, play calling, etc. But I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt, coaching wise. Whether the QBs have been 100% his choices, or 0% his choices, they've been bad QBs. The O-line has not been good - and unfortunately has been bit by injury. And the RB situation has only really been good (in terms of healthy talent) this year.

All of which also leads to the obvious question: What DOES Rick Smith do? Why even have a GM if its on the coaches to also be the GMs? Sure, all parties should have a say, but shouldn't Smith be heading up the department during the year, off-season, etc. that is involved in how to get more talent on the team, while B'Ob primary focus should be on how to maximize that talent? Basically, Rick Smith needs to go, for obvious reasons.

I'm still shocked they decided to fix the offense by going 100% all in on speed, and somewhat ignored the line. Yes, they got really screwed with the Martin injury... but they knew about Brown, and knew the O-line wasn't great anyway.

I said in the draft thread last year: "I love the draft... But still worry about the o-line. I hope they feel really good about Duane Brown's recovery. They're a solid o-line away from being potentially amazing offensively." Well, looks like a solid o-line and a decent QB.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...draft-discussion.274494/page-48#post-10472994

I said in the Free Agency thread last year: "I can't shake the feeling that the OL will need a lot of work still, and all the excitement for Brock/Miller won't matter because the line won't hold up."
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/texans-free-agent-news.273098/page-40#post-10362806

I was in no way advocating for bringing back any of the crap that was Fitz, Hoyer, Mallet, etc. And have never been in the "Savage really has potential, lets give him a shot!" camp - until now. But I think as it turns out, if they spent a lot of Brock's FA money on the o-line, and went with Savage, we'd potentially be in pretty much the same spot record wise.

Of course, then I'd probably be complaining about how they STILL don't have a franchise QB.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  10. JayZ750

I think this is a generally fair statement. But can also take the opposite view, which is if you are basically just throwing darts at a board.

WHAT WAS THE PLAN??? Surely at some point McNair, Smith and B'Ob, early on, knowing what EVERYBODY in the world knows about how you to have a "franchise QB" to be consistently successful in the NFL, devised a plan or two as to how they were going to get there.

Because in hindsight, it seems like the plan was let's get some stopgap, journeymen QBs that are at least capable of starting for an NFL team, and do that for a few years while we really hope one of these backups turns out ok, and if not we can always just back up the truck of cash (Smith's 'I'm getting you a QB this offseason, come hell or high water') to whatever risky free agent QB signing we can make one offseason.

^That's oversimplifying, and in hindsight, but I've asked for years now... WHAT WAS THE PLAN? We know you need a franchise QB. They were just going year by year and hoping one would fall into their laps (or they could coax them into their laps).

Like I said, generally a fair statement, especially since IF Brock turned out to be super solid, then it would seem like the haphazard plan described above worked. But it hasn't. And that's not entirely surprising in retrospect when you look at how the brain trust went about it.

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he picked them. Also:

2014 - 95.3 (88)
    2015 - 91.4 (76.5)
    2016 - 72.2 (86.4)

Those are the QB ratings for the main starting QB each of his years () = their year as a starter before. Except for Fitzpatrick, his is the year after with the Jets (bigger sample size).

So, both his offenses and QB performances have gotten worse each year. He changed QB each year and they have performed worse every time. Not only that, Fitzpatrick was better than Hoyer last year and in his disaster season this year, where he was benched, he is even with Osweiler. Hell, Hoyer's unimpressive year with the Browns was better than Osweiler's performance thus far.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How many move from No to Yes if butt-chin can't even make the playoffs in this historically poor division?

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

If I was to guess what the plan I was I would say it was for the coach to get the best out of Brock that he could. If he is good, they keep him for 4 years or more and they have their franchise QB; if he isn't any they keep him for only 2. Even if they drafted a QB, it would be worse because we would be convinced that he needed more time. Outside of a top 15 pick, it isn't easy finding that elusive franchise QB. Look around the league, most of the QBs worthy to be called franchise QBs were picked early in the draft.

14. JayZ750

I was talking more long term. Like from day one of new regime.

15. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

It's quite scary to me that Bob McNair is the "tiebreaker" if Rick and BOB disagree when it comes to football decisions.

16. Hey Now!

I have never/will never criticize the decision. In fact, I'll defend it. This idea that he was terrible last year, and the Broncos knew it, and we're such dopes... revisionist bullshit.

Right or wrong, the Texans very obviously have viewed their roster as playoff-worthy these past three years, and they have addressed the QB position accordingly. Osweiler played in big games last year for a good team; the appeal was obvious. But I won't crucify the thinking because it looks like it might ultimately not work out; that's not fair. There wasn't a better QB solution that fit what they saw as their need.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

BOB won't leave unless:
    1)Mcnair fires him but after overstaying his welcome. Being here too many years and it's long overdue
    2) He gets an offer from a college team to be their head coach which could happen; does he really want to stay here and coach Osweiler again?

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't blame them for the decision to bring him in. You HAD to do SOMETHING.

My problem this season is that we brought in all of this SPEED.....and yet we're still the 4th worst offense in the entire league. You can't blame ALL of this solely on the QB IMO.

I know about the injuries. Every team in the league has injuries, not just the Texans.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Could BOB and co. royally screw up the rest of our games?:

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

The plan for the new regime was Ryan Mallett lol. Remember they signed Fitzpatrick to keep the seat warm for Mallett. He got injured his first year right after he got his first start. The second year, Fitz was replaced by Hoyer but then Mallett couldn't beat out Hoyer. This year was the first year where the plan for a franchise QB changed from Mallett. And now it is Brock.