1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Very few teams win it all without a great QB.

The Texans seem to have one that could fit that mold. His debut season was electric... with himself stating he was very comfortable working and learning under BOB.

You don’t mess with that just half a year later. You certainly wouldn’t mess with that at this point in the season, where Watson’s performance and the team winning games are both trending up.

There’s not much more to say beyond that. Yes, you can switch coaches with a young QB, but very rarely when the team is doing well or the QB is showing signs of excellence.

Svpernaut likes this.
  2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The vast majority of the time that you reset with a new coach and offensive scheme, you set your team back 3-4 years on average. Meanwhile, this team is built to win NOW with the contracts that they have NOW. Anything can happen in the playoffs, we see it year after year. The goal is making the playoffs and seeing how it all turns out.

There are 32 teams, and only 1 of them wins it all each year - all you can ever really hope for is a chance in January. This isn't the NBA where 16 of 30 teams make the playoffs. Making the playoffs in the NFL is a big deal, and wild card teams have won the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter how you get there, it matters how you finish.

Nick likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’d like to see those stats on 3-4 year average set back.

Which you could do by finding coaching tenure or SB champions or and runner ups. I can’t do right now

4. JayZ750

Here is the best a quick google discovered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fiveth...-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning/amp/

27 of 31 super bowl winning coaches win within their first 5 years with a team.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. Svpernaut

Very rarely do first year coaches succeed, and even more rarely do QBs handle head coaching transitions - especially offensive head coaching transitions well. Most Super Bowls have been won by repeating starting QBs. This is a QB driven league, not a coach driven league.

Star 2, Staubach 2, Bradshaw 4, Plunkett 2, Griese 2, Montana 4, Aikman 3, Elway 2, Roethlisberger 2, both Mannings 2, Brady 5... 32 of overall. Putting DW4 in a new system, is the wrong way to go. Period.

6. JayZ750

Lol. I’m just providing data that is at least a little more numbers based than very rarely or more rarely.

We started with a comment on how young qbs don’t adapt well to change and you couldn’t think of none when the rams and Goff are obvious.

You said coaching change sets back an organization 3-4 years on average, then I provided an article showing how quite the opposite most SB winning coaches have been with their team less than 5 years.

I’m not for change for change sake or even necessarily for change at all. I don’t think O’Brien is all that good but they’re at least winning.

But my goal is to win a ring. And if that means you have to change coaches again and push it back 3-4 years that’s only bad if you think O’Brien get you a ring in 1-3 years. Which I don’t. They’re 37-36 in his nearly 5 years and 1-2 in the playoffs.

But hope I’m wrong there. And recognize it could be a lot more futile.

I just don’t believe you in any way ruin DW with a move unless you make a crappy hire. DW came in and set the league on fire in year 1 with a new coaching new scheme for him and not even practicing as the number one guy.

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

8. Svpernaut

This is a big knock on BoB. In his defense, 4 of the 5 have been in New England, and they very rarely if ever lose there... and the game in Houston was with Hoyer at QB and 2x at NE with Osweiler (not his QB choice), and 2x at NE with DW4 - both of which were one possession games.

BoB definitely needs to beat New England, and the fact that DW4 struggled so much in week one was on him. The other 4 I let slide due to two terrible QBs and 1 rookie (DW4s first game at NE). The Texans have been screwed three seasons in a row with regular season games at NE.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You let last year’s loss slide due to Watson being a rookie? The rookie that led them to 33 points, 400+ yards of offense and a 5 point lead with about 2:30 left?

#3169 bobrek, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah I don't get the argument to stick with a bad offensive coach because their might be an adjustment period.

Andy Reid, Sean mcvay, Doug Pederson and others have shown that good coaches have immediate impact.

It doesn't take 5 years to build a good offense like OBrien defenders claim. And it's obriens 5th year and the offense still sucks

red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Watson is getting pressured on 40%+ of drop backs. This is very bad and most QBs wouldn't be able to operate and stay healthy much less put up good stats like he has

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ouch!

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah, but most, including myself, believe BoB screwed us in that game with asinine playcalling in those last few minutes.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. bobrek

There were certainly questionable play calls as well as not taking a timeout to let the gassed defense get a breather.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. Svpernaut

Yes, the ROOKIE who had two interceptions and two fumbles (none lost) and a QBR of 53.4 in a game that they lost by three points. Meanwhile Brady had 5TDs and a QBR of 88.0 in the same game.

So yes, I think it was an unfair fight even if he had 300 yards.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

I was watching the rams play yesterday. They run the ball on first down, they run to left, right, middle, play action, jet sweeps, wr screens. They run the same predictable plays over and over again. Sound familiar? They're predictable but no one can stop them, because they're able to execute.

But when O'Brien does it, he gets criticized for being too conservative and being an awful play caller.

17. bobrek

Yet all they had to do was:

- convert a second or third and short with less than 3 minutes left
    OR
    - prevent Brady from driving 85 yards in around 2 minutes to win the game

And are you really counting an intercepted desperation pass at the end of a game against him?

18. Mr. Clutch

Yes the Rams execute, but they aren't predictable.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U named like 5 different type of ram run play, fking bob runs one stupid run play over and over on first down, rush it in the middle. That's why he is getting criticized as a sht play caller. If u cant see the difference between 5 different play vs 1 sht predictable play its hopeless.

20. Mr. Clutch

Obrien went turtle mode. That's why that game was lost, although the defense was bad too.