1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Wowzer dam if this logical post doesnt convince the opposition, nothing will.

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

1. Rams run the ball on first down, which fans criticize Obrien for doing.

2. Rams run wr screens, but when Obrien does it he gets criticized.

3. Rams run the ball to set up the pass with playaction, but when Obrien does it, it's " run to set up the pass is a bunch outdated nonsense."

4. Rams run jet sweeps with cooks, Texans like to run jet sweeps with keke.

I didn't hear anyone complaining when miller ran for over 100 yards against the jaguars and dolphins.

Hell, I remembered when fans criticized Kubiak for running the ball, and he was one of the best offensive minds in football, which shows most fans don't know what they're talking about.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The criticism of Kubiak was dumb, but the data show he was an elite offensive coach. The data doesn't show them same for O'Brien.

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Rams have the best back in the league with a better oline. Not sure what point your making since we don’t even have a top 10 or maybe even 15 running back, combined with one of the worst oline.

Nimo likes this.
  5. Champs

Champs Member

Here is the problem with the 37-36 in nearly 5 years logic. None of which has even had a full season of D Watson yet. Its actually not a bad record at all without a true QB. BoB is building something special on offense. This next offseason will be to invest heavily on O, and maybe a RB. Most all of the weapons are already in place.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

1. Rams run different plays on the first down while bob runs one stupid ineffective play without changing it = stupid ass coach criticism is valid. 5 > 1 (get it through your head the difference).

2. Bob runs wide screens at the dumbest time, in fact there was one time where he ran two ineffective screen in a row. Sht hc needs to know when to do it, hence the criticism.

3. Theres a difference between running effective run plays to set up the pass and move the chain and theres stupid running it down the middle to set up the pass. Bob himself admits that the run play was ineffective but he does it anyways without changing it up = more stupidity.

4. Regardless of what they do with keke, he's out with injury doesnt excuse the stupid running it down the middle first down play over and over. Regardless if we had keke or not bob stills runs that stupid running it down the middle.

Theres nothing wrong when your rb gets a sht ton of yard, but just because it happened once or twice doesnt mean that bob shouldnt get sht on for having such a shtty ass run playcalling.

U keep bringing up Miller 100 yard games, he done it twice out of 9 games goes to show how sht the running it up the middle play is.

Idk y u keep defending such a sht coach, kind of pointless to convince u about it if u cant even see the difference between 5 different ram plays>1 stupid texans plays.

Dont deflect to Kubiak criticism to defend our sht hc.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think you're exaggerating, he runs more than just one play. I don't even like O'Brien that much, but it's that irrational hatred from fans like you that make it easy for me to defend him. He gets none of the credit when they win and all of the blame when they lose.

The truth is this team isn't that good on offense, the only good players we got are Watson and Hopkins. So unless they get a brand new offensive line, you can pretty much expect these low scoring games for the rest of the season. They're going to have to run the ball and be conservative to protect Watson from getting injured again and not turn the ball over which watson hasn't done in the last 3 games. They're just going to have to make do with what they got for the rest of the season.

raining threes likes this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Part of that credit is due to many of the wins coming in spite of some obvious bad decisions and bad coaching. Using the Rams as a comparison is kind of silly. They have Todd Gurley and a much much better OL. The Texans don't. Yes, there have been games where the team was prepared and played like it. There are more where they were clearly unprepared and played like it.

They're winning and obviously nothing is going to be done in the near term. We'll see how this season plays out. I hope for the best but O'Brien hasn't exactly earned the assumption that they'll be able to hang with the top tier teams.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

I agree the team isn't that good on offense. It hasn't been since Kubiak left. My question is why O'Brien isn't held accountable for it? Instead excuses are always made.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He can be held accountable for not having an elite QB... which clearly hampered the offense... even though there were no elite QB's magically available during that time.

I'd be more encouraged by Watson's highlights/development/wins in the infancy of his career vs. being discouraged.

11. Remix

Remix Member

Swearinger calling out B'OB.
    Whether right or wrong B'OB sure has a penchant for telling players how their career will go. Off the top of my head telling Andre how many catches he'll have next season, Keenum never being anything more than a 3rd string QB, and now Swearinger. Then theres also Brandon Brooks saying how miserable he was when B'OB took over

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bad comparison all the way around because this is two teams with different situations.

One has a RB that can run between the tackles while the other one has a back that's only good on the edge. His back up doesn't have great vision ( even though he has improved a little).

I never seen people complain about the screen plays, I believe I've seen posters beg for more of those type of plays.

Nobody complains about the play action. Why would they when its actually our best play.

I mean why are you looking for examples to compare Obrien too. You really think he's done a fantastic job thus far? You really think he has this team playing on the Rams level?

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Most of them were hand picked by him. He's the one that thought Mallett was ready for primetime. He brought Hoyer here because he knew the offense.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

“I remember the day like yesterday,” Swearinger said. “We had a walkthough, a regular walk-through and O’Brien called the whole walk-through off and said he wanted to talk to me and all the defensive coaches.

That was shocking to me, because I didn’t know what the deal was and he came to me basically telling me that he was going to bench me, that don’t work, cut me, that don’t work.

“I felt totally disrespected by the conversation, you know, he yelled at me in my face for about a minute in front of all the defensive coaches and I sort of lost a lot of respect for the DB coach at the time and O’Brien because of how that situation went.”

After Swearinger was waived in Houston he was picked up by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but felt O’Brien had warned Bucs Coach Lovie Smith about him, keeping him from getting a decent chance in Tampa Bay. He appeared in just seven games before being released and eventually picked up by the Cardinals.

“I think when I went to Tampa, they judged me,” Swearinger said. “I remember that first interview I had with Lovie Smith, he basically had a report from Houston — asking me about all types of things and I was like ‘Wow, they said all of this about me?’ And I was kind of shocked.”

On Tuesday, O’Brien praised Swearinger in a conference call with Washington media, saying the safety is “doing a great job, he’s got excellent ball skills, good tackler, tough, competitive guy.” He added that Swearinger probably had a tough time adjusting to Kubiak’s departure, but called it something “every player goes though.”

When asked about Swearinger’s allegation that he had given a bad report on Swearinger to Smith, O’Brien was silent for a moment.

“I don’t really know what D.J.’s talking about,” O’Brien said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ger-still-carries-grudge-against-bill-obrien/

Htownballer38 and raining threes like this.
  15. mario_v

mario_v Member

I compare the two to show that you can be conservative, run the ball and still be a high scoring offense. Rams offense is built on the running the game, which sets up the offense to take big shots down the field off of play action, a lot like how the Texans run play action to set up will fuller for a big play down the field. Even tony romo says the rams don't run alot of different plays and that it's predictable but no one can stop it.

But alot of people here will go as far as to say that running the ball to set up the pass is " a bunch of outdated hogwash." I don't know if people actually believe that or theyre just saying that further push this narrative that Obrien is a terrible playcaller.

I think O'Brien has done a good job considering that the team is 6-3 with all the injuries and a makeshift offensive line. And why would you risk Watson getting injured again? He's already the most hit qb in the league playing with a broken rib and a collapsed lung playing behind this shitty oline.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

IIRC, wasn't he a walking penalty? He guy couldn't not get PI called on him. I don't remember anyone being torn up that he was let go.

17. Mr. Clutch

Ultimately it was probably Crennels call. He liked moving the safeties around and swearinger didn't like that. But I don't see why O'Brien had to be a dick.

18. Mr. Clutch

I don't think anyone has said using the run to set up the pass is outdated

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Running plays to set pass only works if u do something else than running it up the middle and move the chain. Honestly it's a waste of time trying to convince Mario about how shtty our hc is, he seems to believe that 5 different run play the ram does is similar to our 1 running it up the middle run play. Is Ram's playcalling conservative, they are scoring consistently over 30 while we can barely scrape 20 points, goes to show how shtty the offense is under Bob.

20. raining threes

True

They're not talented enough to hang with the top teams, regardless of who coaches the team. Hopefully Gaine can fix this quickly and then criticism of BOB will be fair.