1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Coaching was not why they lost the first three games. BoB will say that, because that's what good coaches do - but player mistakes, including DW4 and his "hero ball" turnovers are why they lost those games. Hell, a Clowney personal foul from the sideline is what cost them a game.

Since the merger era, fewer than 15% of all new coaches make the playoffs their first year. Revolving coaching doors, head coach or offensive coordinator, is the worst thing you can do for a young QB. Changing systems as they begin to figure it out is not the right thing to do... this was why the Browns were stupid for giving Hue another chance.

I can't think of a single young QB over the past decade who has handled a coaching change well. We've seen DW4 put up 40+ point games under BoB's system, and it is HIS mistakes that limit that. The "boring" play of the last three games was BoB protecting DW4 from himself.

First five games, Texans record was 2-3, DW4's TD:INT ratio was 8:5, plus two fumbles. Last four games, Texans record is 4-0, DW4's TD:INT ratio is 9:2, with zero fumbles... and he also hasn't taken too many unneeded hits. DW4 is still learning, 3 of the 4 sacks against the Broncos were on him.

Until DW4 can learn not to turn the ball over, his playbook is going to be limited.

TheFreak likes this.
  2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

yeah, having those stupid run up the middles does help watson not get sacked...I get that...they're actually necessary. But you conveniently avoided the 'rust' of not playing more during the preseason...the non-challenge on the obvious Gronk drop that resulted in a TD. The uncovered receiver on the fake punt vs. the Titans that pretty much costed us the game. And the Giants game...who are pretty much the worse team in the League. You avoided all those to talk about, what...the chance of making the playoffs if we switched coaches mid-season? Please tell me when I said we should get rid of him "mid-season". I never did...not once.

Can you honestly,still not understand why people wanted him fired? Besides his electric personality of course...

3. Svpernaut

I didn't avoid anything. I've watch the game tape for each game more than once... and the players are why they lost those games. I go in depth with specific plays if you'd like, but it seems like you've already made up your mind so it is wasting my breath.

DW4 makes 10-15 "mistakes" per game right now with his reads and decision making, I can't make you see that - you have to want to look for it. I love DW4, and the sky is the limit for him but he has shown that he can't have complete freedom right now and the Texans don't need him to be a gunslinger to win, they've proven that.

TheFreak likes this.
  4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

It seems like you have too man...I've seen that you are a huge BOB fan...he can do no wrong to you. We're obviously all football idiots and you and BOB understand way more than any other fan on the board. Awesome. Yeah, plz don't waste your time explaining anything...I doubt you could make super duper complex stuff like that make sense to simpletons like us...

LOL, you've 'watched tape' more than once. WOW. Too funny...

5. Svpernaut

He can do plenty of wrong, and has. I just watch the game tape and I know when it is his fault and when it isn't. I have and continue to criticize him for not getting the TEs involved more as an example. They should be DW4's safety valve.

With that said, the mic in DW4's helmet shuts off when there are 10 seconds on the play clock, DW4's reads after that point are all on him - including many of those hand offs up the gut on first down. I know that many of the things BoB gets blamed for, aren't his doing. At the end of the day, it all falls on him and results matter... and the results right now, are a 6-3 team, and he has a positive record over his tenure, including some playoff success.

The only way in my mind, BoB or any other coach should get fired with a new franchise QB, is out of ineptitude... and love BoB or hate him, he clearly isn't inept.

TheFreak likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't get blaming the players when O'Brien changes the players every year and the offense is bottom 10 every year

red5rocket likes this.
  7. Svpernaut

You don't see how an offense with terrible QBs could be bottom 10? The offense with DW4 has been a top 10 offense for all of his starts, last year and this year.

This year's "boring" Texans are 8th in total yards, 12th in passing yards and 7th in rushing yards. DW4 has a 63.6% completion percentage, 8.36 yards per completion and 36 TDs for his career. This narrative just doesn't fit.

DW4's problem is that he has 25 total turnovers. But nah, it's all BoB. When he doesn't turn the ball over, the Texans win. The proof is in the numbers.

BoB didn't make DW4 throw behind a wide open Nuk to ice the game on third down in Denver. It was the perfect play call, DW4 just didn't make the play. As I said, that is happening 10-15 times per game.

He is continually progressing through his targets too slowly, he holds on to the ball too long, and refuses to throw the ball away. He's a tremendous talent, but he is also young and it shows... and good defensive coordinators know how to exploit his current weaknesses. They can overcome those weaknesses if he doesn't turn the ball over, and that is the single biggest reason they've won six in a row.

In the first three games of the season, he had 5 interceptions, and 3 fumbles, 1 of which was lost. They lost those three games by a total of 15 points. He had 2 interceptions, and 3 fumbles, 1 of which was lost in the Buffalo game alone. He's been sacked 30 times this season, and at least 20 of those were his own fault for holding on to the ball too long, and not throwing it away.

If you don't think that those mistakes hurt the offense output, then I can't help you.

#3147 Svpernaut, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  8. raining threes

Lets let him get some new blood at OT and see how he does.

9. Svpernaut

He's doing just fine, this narrative is BS and pure conjecture. The stats say otherwise.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Not the players fault they were told not to guard a gunner 30 yards down the field

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ummm.... think harder, lol

There’s an obvious one.

And if you look at coordinators (OC) another obvious one.

12. Mr. Clutch

Hmm, you didn't mention scoring points. Every year O'Brien's offense is bottom 10 in actually scoring and the excuses always come out.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was that obvious QB excelling under the previous regime?

Anybody here who wanted BOB gone after seeing what he did with Watson last year fits the exact definition of somebody who would rather be right, and have this team lose, vs. enjoying being proven wrong and have this team win with BOB/Watson together.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He must not have heard of Jared Goff smh

15. Mr. Clutch

Here are additional stats:

Texans are 22nd in yards per drive. They are also 19th in points per drive despite being 2nd in average starting position (thanks to good defense and special teams).

Source: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff

I wouldn't blame Watson. The team is 11th in turnovers per drive. He has a 79.8 PFF grade which is good despite being the most pressured QB in the league (41% of dropbacks), having a bruised lung and having one of the worst running games in the league. They are 26th at 3.9 yards per attempt. Sure he's a bit turnover prone but he still has 17 TDs to 7 INTs.

Bottom line is O'Brien is still a bad offensive coach. Pointing to 4 games last year (which increasingly look like a fluke) out of 5 years of his coaching is silly.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

WTF? Why? Are you the ghost of Joel Buchsbaum?

red5rocket likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pretty stupid if u ask me to knowingly do something ineffective over and over (run it down the middle) rather than use your franchise qb. Using the excuse "limiting dw mistakes" is stupid, some mistakes do come in part from watson, but a competent coach wouldnt force his "mistake prone qb" to consistently convert 3rd and long every fking down. Cant claim u are protecting him if u keep putting him in an a postion forcing him to b a hero.

Mr. Clutch and red5rocket like this.
  18. raining threes

Stats lie,

Not all his fault, but 10 pressures and 4 sacks in 28 pass attempts is not good.

This isn't all Davenport's fault but he's clearly the weakest link.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I really don’t think most people care that much about being the right “fantasy” GM. I know I don’t give a crap.

What they want is a squad that can win a ring. Heck how about give your fans one trip to the AFC championship game. That’s be a step. Lol.

The fact is there’s stats for everything. Don’t change coaches with young qbs. Coaches entrenched for x number of years almost never ultimately win a ring with that team. I’m sure there’s others all of which contradict each other in some or many ways.

If Bill O’Brien is the guy, great! But there’s very few people on the planet right now that would say unequivocally or even wishy-washy that he’s done a good job at offenses over his years here.

I am happy to say he might ultimately be a great offensive coach when he has great players throughout the offense. But I think that’s probably true if most nfl coaches. Not all. But most. The best of the best go beyond that turning what they have into more than the sum of its parts.

Texans are 6-3. Crappy division. Charmin schedule. But 6-3. He’s not getting fired. So we’ll have to wait and see if they can win a tough playoff game against a “real” squad ever.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It’s a shame the Bangles have only sniffed being a “real” squad ever