1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] NBA's best-kept secret Luc Mbah a Moute under Rockets' wraps

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

For starters, PJ is 32.5 years old.

He is a BENCH player yet he is the 5th highest player on the team.
    He makes an average of 8m per year.
    He will be making this annual amount for the next 4 years until 2021/2022.
    He will be 36 at the end of his contract.
    He plays close to 30 minutes per game.
    His PPG is 5.5 this season.
    His FG% is .328 this season.
    His 3FG% is .333 this season.
    His APG is 1.4 this season.
    His TO rate is 1.2 this season.
    His PER is 7.39 this season.

Compared to Luc

He just turned 31 years old.
    He makes 2.1m per year will be UFA at the end of the year.
    He plays 27 minutes pe game.
    His PPG is 8.7 this season.
    His FG% is .507 this season.
    His 3FG% is .313 this season however he has less attempts than PJ.
    His steals are same as PJ with lesser minutes.
    He has more blocks than PJ with lesser minutes.
    His PER is 11.33 this season.

Also does anyone want to predict PJ's weight next season? At 6'6 +/- 250 ? I recall Charles Barkley being around the same size yet everyone called him fat. Why no one call PJ fat weighing in at 245 now?

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly!

3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Well obviously compared to luc he looks big but for nba contracts in general i think its great. Luc is the steal of the century.

Pj helps our defense and toughness quite a bit. He gives us that bev factor.

Dude was big dick tucker at GSW. Gotta pay someone with the cap. These are hardens prime years.

Who cares about the age. This is a go all in to win over the next 3ish years type of team. Not a young team. He actually took less money to be here.

Im very unconvinced that his 8 mil a year contract is an albatross contract. What would you have done if you were morey?

djperm likes this.
  4. Giant9erRocket

Why do you keep backing up PJ for? Are you his publicist?

5. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

This is no surprise to me honestly. I am a Chris Paul fan so I admit I follow him and on the Clippers Luc was a pretty good two way player. Limited offensively sure but he had a respectable 3 pointer with very good defense. He was literally the Clippers best small forward.

djperm likes this.
  6. txn

txn Member

PJ has his unique talent. He can defend 1 to 5. I know he's too short for the 4 and 5, but he can hold his ground VS most of the center in this lead. Thats why we play him at the 5 in small ball situation. Aside the offense skill set, he can be our poor man version of Draymond Green. Both him and Luc are great to our team, specially on the defense end. I wouldn't say Tucker is overpaid. But on the other hand Luc is definitely underpaid with his contract. It's such a luxury when you can have both Tucker and Luc on the floor together. Both of them fit to our switching defense so perfectly.

7. Giant9erRocket

If we are going all IN the next 3 years then we should NOT be looking at giving 32 year olds 4-5 year contracts. This is what prevents us from signing a LeBron or 3rd star from joining us. You would think we would have learned our lesson handing out Ryan's contract. Age does play a factor.

As you know by past history Morey can find PJ Tuckers / Patrick Bevs for much LESS than 8m so there's no point in giving out MLEs to these toughness/grit guys.

8. Giant9erRocket

Unique talent or not he's not worth 8m per for the next 4 years. I would be OK if it was 8m for 1-2 years definitely not 4 which is my gripe.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Im not saying you are incredibly off base or dont have any good points but I do think it is incredibly foolish to sit on cap space in hopes of lebron.

These are hardens prime years. We are trying to win. We could offload tucker in a second is lebron wanted to come here.

Beggers cant be choosers bro. We are doing everything possible to surround harden with talent and win. This Harden dude is pretty special and the team made it a goal to be top 10 in defensive rating this year.

I think tucker is very valuable. Dude can get down and bang with giants in a dantoni small ball system. You dont think tucker has helped with our improved defense so far this year?

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why do people have to keep reminding you that the 4th yr is a Team Option?

Also, the OP article is about how much of a steal Luc is. Every FA signed in the summer for MLE or less would not stack up to the bargain we got in Luc ... no one would.

So instead of congratulating Morey on the Luc signing, you use Luc to bash Morey for signing PJ ... do you not see how weird that is?

11. Giant9erRocket

I'm not saying to sit on cap space.... i'm saying NOT to give $8m or $20m long ass contracts to league average players when Morey is god at finding these players at a fraction of the cost. When signing these average players to multi-year deal it hurts us from finding a 3rd star and we will end up wishing we never signed them to begin with.

Yes we can "contend" now if that means losing to GSW in 5 games (in the WCF). Everyone understands that we need another 3rd star/LeBron player to contend with Durant/Curry/Green/Thompson/Huge Bench.

Harden is only under contract until the end of next year. He could very well bolt to form another super team if we don't get past GSW this year or next.

12. Daddy Long Legs

Am I missing something about player options?

We just locked him up, i assumed the 22-23 season is the only player option year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/james-harden-6312/

Also, I believe this team has a chance to win a championship with a healthy chris paul. Are we the favorites? No not at all but we are at the point where it is realistic enough to where we should go all in.

13. Daddy Long Legs

Also seems very inconsistent of you to say you are afraid of losing harden for not winning right now but also saying that you dont want to spend money to go all in right now. #flexibility

macho GRANDE likes this.
  14. Giant9erRocket

I don't care if the 4th year is a team option it's still partial guaranteed and counts again the salary cap (from my understanding).

Yes Luc is a steal just like Morey's other moves in drafting/signing underrated moves. I have just become so used to it which is why I find it absurd when he does the exact opposite thing with other players.

It's one thing to find / sign these underrated players for 1-2 year deals it's another to sign overrated players to much higher/long-term contracts. It offsets each other.

15. Giant9erRocket

Sorry yes 22-23 I totally forgot he signed the multi-year deal. Having said that, he can still be under contract and want out (see: Paul George) plus I am not sure if he has a NTC included with this new deal.

Even with a healthy CP3 (which is like saying a healthy Gronk at this point in their careers) we are still not going to beat GSW in 7 games. The only way possible would be if one of their big 4 got injured. Do we pray for that to happen?

16. Daddy Long Legs

So I get that you are pessimistic. I probably am more optimistic than most. Thats fair for both of us.

But with all seriousness, whats your point?

Do you think signing tucker will make harden go to the front office and demand a trade?

Would you have preferred not signing tucket and sitting on space?

Please give me your alternative. Give me your “if I ruled the world” scenario.

17. heypartner

How is it so hard to understand, that when you say we are locked into $8m for the 4th yr, you are wrong. It's a Team Option. Only the Vet min is guaranteed. You're off by $6m.

And?

Quit using Luc to bash Morey, as if there are multiple bargains out there, and Morey has first pick on all of them. Morey had about $17m to spend and he got Luc, Nene, Black and PJ all for that. That is a huge haul at a great price.

djperm, HakeemOnlyFan and BigM like this.
  18. bongman

bongman Member

Kinda lost me here. Toronto was willing to pay $1M dollar more for 1 less year. If there's a party who's in the losing side of the money, it would be PJ.

Deckard and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  19. heypartner

20. Daddy Long Legs

@heypartner and I just formed an unlikely tag team duo.

Finna come at our resident bbs detective like @SirIvyLeague does on the reg next time doe.