1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] NBA's best-kept secret Luc Mbah a Moute under Rockets' wraps

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I wouldn't have signed tucket to anything more than 2 years. Use cap space for someone younger who will be considered a trade asset in the future.

I do believe signing him long term will reduce our chances of landing a 3rd star player. See Jeremy Lin/Corey Brewer contracts.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Many of us have been dreaming a long time about somehow getting some skilled wings who are strong defenders, can score in the paint, and hit the three at a decent clip. I still can't believe how radically a few signings have changed this team, and I'm not including Chris. Tucker? We should give the guy a chance. It's early.

3. Giant9erRocket

So why didn't Morey guarantee is 4th year instead of partially guaranteeing it? Think about it. Also you're off it's $5.4m get your facts straight.

Not bashing anyone just stating the facts here.

That's like saying you had $20 to buy food so you spent $3 on a happy meal and spent the rest on one king crab leg. Yeah I guess you ate well that day.

cheke64 likes this.
  4. Giant9erRocket

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Tucker would’ve signed elsewhere if we only offered 2 year 16 million.

What young player was available that wouldve helped our team and accepted 2 years 16 million?

Not attacking you, just putting you in daryl moreys shoes. If you want to criticize this move you need to provide a specific alternative so we can weigh the pros and cons of what you would’ve done.

Pen15clubber and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The post makes absolutely zero sense. Having a TO is far better than guaranteeing the year and having Tucker for the MLE is an absolute steal. Also, Harden's window for prime is the next 4-5 years, so why wouldn't we want a guy like Tucker to be part of the majority of that, especially come playoffs time? Dumb post is dumb.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Finally. So now you will stop saying we are locked into 4yrs. Right?

No, it means we spent $9.5m on three great bargains, and $7.5m on a proven vet for market price at less than league average, who otherwise wouldn't have signed. (Not to mention we talked PJ's agent into letting us use part of the MLE to sign Zhou long-term.)

"Not bashing anyone just stating the facts here."

macho GRANDE and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  8. Giant9erRocket

- How do you know? He was NOT a top FA available at the time and championship contenders were not lined up for his services even the Raptors didn't want to spend that much on him.

- I think you meant what player (younger than PJ) was available that would've helped our team and accepted 4 years 32 million. If so, see below:

- I stated this in another PJ thread that you probably read: Shaun Livingston, Rudy Gay, Dewayne Dedmon, and CJ Miles.

9. Daddy Long Legs

You would've us preferred us to sign rudy gay, shaun livingston, dewayne dedmon, or cj miles over pj tucker?

I think you are incredibly wrong. at least we got that out there now lol.

10. Giant9erRocket

A team option that is non-guaranteed is far better than a partially guaranteed. In the event you cut him (which I assume everyone in this thread believes will happen since he will be 36 years old) he will still tie up $2.6m cap space meaning there will be decisions to be made whether or not he's worth $5.4m more.

In the end, every dollar counts if you're trying to form a super team.

11. Giant9erRocket

He is still locked into 4 years... am I wrong by stating this? He is getting paid in his 4th year whether he's on the team or not and it still counts towards cap space. Do you think he will be cut or will his option be guaranteed? Please help me understand where you're coming from.

Yes $9.5 is awesome (GOOD JOB MOREY) but $7.5 on someone producing 7.39 PER is G-League widely available.

12. Giant9erRocket

Let's continue this conversation when there is more games to be played. We will see who has the better stats/PER at the end of the year.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

that's fair. I'm not here to crap on your views. I'm just glad we got clear and specific thoughts out about this issue rather than just calling for morey's head.

I do believe that those types of stats might not tell the whole story though. It's hard to measure the effect of Tucker's defense and his ability to bang down low with the big boys but you're right that this is a conversation that makes more sense at the end of the year instead of now.

Pen15clubber and Deckard like this.
  14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is insane. I am happy to get 6 hours of sleep. I remember when I first started cooking and I was working at one place Saturday at 7 am. Then went to two different places to work straight through. I wouldn't get home until 1 am Monday. No sleep just cooked and travelled in between, straight grind until my body collapsed. I can't imagine getting that much sleep.

Deckard likes this.
  15. txn

txn Member

I would take PJ over all of those in terms of fitting and helping the Rockets. Maybe Rudy Gay would be an exception, but I think he would pick Spurs over us anyway.

16. Asian Sensation

I still dream of those things. We can praise Mbah A Moute all we want and I’ve always wanted Tucker since he was a Sun and locked Harden down so I’m more than willing to be patient with him and give him a chance but our front court is still patch work.

djperm and Deckard like this.
  17. Sino rocketfan

Many Clippers fans told me they were surprised and unaware of Luc Mbah a Moute's ability in offense.
    Maybe MDA's offense system works.
    Or Doc Rivers's system didn't give him HIS ROLE to show his potential energy?

djperm likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure I explained this in the PJ Injury thread. Maybe you didn't see it.

Do you know how the value of expiring contracts in trade work? They work when another team wants to purge salary. They often work when one team is trading a disgruntled player (who could be a star), but don't want any salary back that will count towards the summer free agency season. They also work when greasing trades. All sorts of ways.

Well, anyhow, after PJ's second season, his contract will operate as an expiring contract...he can be traded for over $12m, thus allowing a purge of upwards of $10m in trade, by the other team. So, that 3rd yr of his contract will be a valuable asset...arguably better than a $10m trade exception, since you can package him in trade.

• Livingston wasn't going anywhere, he's not a fit, roughly same age as PJ. We don't need a relatively expensive 4th guard, and why would he pick us.
    • I'm not a fan of Rudy Gay ... pass
    • We didn't need Dedmon because we had backup center handled with Nene and Tariq. And you also assume Dedmon was willing to take a backup role.

#78 heypartner, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I expect more from our resident player name spell-checker! :p

Deckard, pippendagimp and heypartner like this.
  20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This dude better enjoy it while he still can because he might not be a Rocket for the entire season.