1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] NBA's best-kept secret Luc Mbah a Moute under Rockets' wraps

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Yes I know how expiring contracts work. I'm sure if the team that wants to purge themself from a disgruntled player they would do so for a NON-guaranteed team option 4th year rather than a $2.7m partially guaranteed team option 4th year. When was the last time an expiring contract was traded for a star? Fully expiring contracts aren't what it used to be due to the rapid increase of salary caps.

Please stop trying to sell me on PJs contract being some huge trading chip when there are a ton of other contracts in the NBA to trade for without having to pay squat and the player they're acquiring is much younger than 35-36 years old.

Livingston - Money talks and we now could trade EGo for a 3rd star.

Rudy Gay - OK but you do realize after Ego off the bench we have no one else that can provide us with any offense. He would do very well coming off the bench for us like he does now for the Spurs.

Dedmon - I hate when people say "We don't need them". You're obviously not seeing the entire picture here. This signing could have given us an opportunity to trade Capela (one of our best trade assets) for a 3rd star player.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Eric Gordon was our last secret before Mbah.

djperm likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah i can see sleeping more than 10hrs perhaps once a week, but on a regular basis it's just unimaginable. he probably has to recycle the same dreams over and over again in reruns :D

btw, what cuisine(s) to do you cook?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Luc knows Inception.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why are you arguing with me? I'm just explaining why PJ's contract will operate like it has no 4th year. It will operate like a 3yr contract.

In the 3rd year, the contract is an expiring asset like any other 3yr contract. It can purge up to $10m in salary (like a trade exception), and it is arguable more valuable than a trade exception because you can combine with other salary to match a $20m or $30m or whatever salary.

Don't be purposefully obtuse, like you don't understand how trade exceptions and expiring contracts work. It doesn't matter that $2.6m of it is guaranteed, because he can be traded for $12m, and combined with other contract for even more in return.

PJ's contract is essentially a 3yr deal.

DonKnock, arabrocket and Mathloom like this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Also if Rudy Gay has better stats than Tucker at the end of the season that doesn't mean he would have had the same stats with the rockets. Also do we even know if Rudy Gay wanted to come here? Spurs organization is no slouch. It's not like the rockets get first pick and then everyone else gets to court FAs after.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Joe Chee has to sleep moar.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Exactly. Rudy gay is one of the spurs top go to guys over there with kawhi out. He provides them with a skill set that they needed. He definitely would choose signing with them over us. Makes a lot more sense for his career.

Here, he would be behind harden, paul, and gordon. We were looking for a t h i c c body like tucker to help our defense/toughness and matchup with draymond/golden state’s small ball lineup when we signed tucker.

I dont think rudy gay made nearly as much sense for these rockets.

djperm and Pen15clubber like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Luc's perimeter defense, and his ability to put the ball on the floor and make layups like Harden. PJ's bigger size helps our rebounding and post defense, he can guard on the perimeter too. These guys don't give up on defense, even when they are struggling on offense. Houston is lucky to have both of them.

djperm and RudyTBag like this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Box-score watchers. :D

Go watch some Chuck Hayes tape and tell me how invaluable he was. Our defense skyrockets when PJ Tucker plays. The amount of contested shots he forces all over the floor is next level stuff. Plain and simple, If you think Nick Young or Rudy Gay helps you win playoff basketball games more than PJ Tucker, you do not understand this game.

DEWAYNE DEDMON LOLOLOLOL... Might as well go sign Matt Bonner. At least he could get some minutes under Pop in a playoff game. Dedmon is a scrub mon. Stop looking at boxscores and watch him defend the pick and roll. JUST ONCE.

11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I also believe he was signed to matchup with golden states death lineup.

Dude was huge against them in the video I posted above. Pretty much hit the game winner.

He was banging down low and got fouled going for the offensive rebound while we were in the penalty so he got 2 free throws for us to win by 1

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Sandman is here for all of your ZZZZZZsss

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

This is hilarious. This guy uses PER to determine who the “better” players are. :D

Talk about destroying your credibility. Dude get off the useless boxscores and watch some basketball. Your own GM says that “the man who invented the boxscore should be shot”.

If boxscores and PER meant diddly Anthony Randolph and Terrence Williams would still be in the NBA. 3 & D players are NEVER going to get stats because their usage on offense is limited to catch and shoot threes, and tough hard nosed defense that only shows up in the most advanced of defensive metrics.

Look at our defense last year compared to this year, just by adding Luc and Tuck, and losing an all defense first team member. It is night and day.

There were a ton of guys with higher PERs than Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier too, but they were worth every penny and then some.

Bro, Nick Young??? WTF????

arabrocket likes this.
  14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

You really really don’t know what the hell your talking about and I won’t go into details since your argument of per involves nick young and Rudy Gay.

15. riko

riko Member

Its like watching the cavs game all over with his offensive rebounding

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

PJ Tucker at 8 million a year is a steal! its basically the price we woulda hoped beverley would sign with, knowing there's no way we'd get him that low. he'll be just as good in his 3rd year. its very rare that a forward has all the skills that he has, screen, roll, and finish, post-up, play D, hit the three, and rebound. He sets a great screen and rolls exceptionally quick, and i love how he can post up small guards, drawing fouls, going to the free throw line. i used to play with him at gregory gym back in the day, and he is a beast! just much bigger now. we already had enough wings who could score with the ball in his hands and don't need anymore. We need the ones that can do what he does! If he was like 3-4 inches longer! oh man!

djperm, Hakeemtheking and RudyTBag like this.
  17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Exactly. Battier was making 8 million WAY back in the day with a way lower cap, and he was absolutely worth it. Would probably be making 12-14 million right now. PJ Tucker at 8 million a year for his prime years (32,33,34), is just beautiful. How I wish we had Luc Richard locked up too.

With Ariza, Tucker and Luc, we have 3 top-flight perimeter defenders that are fantastic for the locker room, the culture, and most importantly the defensive attitude of this team. Guys like Ryan Anderson are looking WAY better on D, quite simply because these guys know how to rotate and communicate on defense. We aren't playing the Michael Beasley's of the world anymore. No more Lou Williams. We have guys that TALK and MOVE THEIR FEET and get DIRTY when the going gets tough.

djperm and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

yup, move their feet, correct. He's got some of the quickest feet for any forward in the league. He was a 2-guard in college, which is why he can guard harden laterally... he's just a tad bit short, that's all.

djperm likes this.
  19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'd cringe whenever I'd see them starting Mbah at the 3... but now I see why they did it.

djperm likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Any updates on Luc's injury status? (Sorry, I've been pretty busy and haven't checked much.)
    He better not have a Chris Paul bruise.