1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feature] Justice League

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmenacela, Jun 8, 2012.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Green Lantern is bullet proof. A Green Lantern's autoshields have protected him from a planet exploding underneath him. Wonder Woman can deflect lightspeed projectiles coming in from all directions. Bullets are laughable to them. They are much closer to Superman than they are to Batman. Complaining about Superman but not Wonder Woman just shows that you don't have much of a grasp of the characters. Hell, you left Flash there and he is much more powerful than Superman.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I admit I don't know much except from the few I see from cartoons. How is Flash more powerful than the son of Krypton?

3. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I'm most interest in seeing Justice League than The Avengers. But the problem right here is Nolan's Batman. Since we already be seen Green Latern(on the same level as The Avengers in tone) and next year we will see how they will approach with Superman. I mean how would you do a Justice League movie? Do they throw everything out the windows and start a fresh with Justice League casts? Will it be in the same tone as The Avengers or Nolan's Batman? I mean Whedon pretty much took Ultimate Marvel Alliance game trailer and mode that into The Avengers. Justice League should do the same thing and take their visual and action approach in the same vain as the DC Universe Online trailer.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H7Nf-m6WGl4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Superman's different powers, level of power and his character are what combine to make him boring. Wonder Woman is an elite fighter with super strength and flight, but she doesn't shoot lasers from her eyes, she doesn't fly at light speed (or whatever Superman currently flies at) she doesn't have super breath, etc. Same with Flash. It's only been in the last decade that Flash has been powered to the level of being better than Superman anyway.

On top of it all, they all have way more interesting characters (imo) than Superman. But yes, of course they are all way more powerful than Batman. Batman is the Black Widow of the team.

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

You are such an idiot.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

That seems to be the plan. New Batman, new Green Lantern, new everything. I wouldn't be surprised if Batman gets rebooted within the next 2-3 years seeing how its DC's only bankable superhero (hopefully MoS succeeds). This Justice League movie is also suppose to be darker than the avengers which I'm really looking forward to. As much as I like Nolan's realism in Batman, I want to see the other side of it with monsters and aliens and such. I agree they should just skip the individual movies and jump straight into a team movie and then branch off based off what seems popular with the audience.

7. StupidMoniker

Flash has access to the Speed Force. With it he can do things like time travel, steal speed, lend speed, phase, infinite mass punch, etc. As an example of some Flash wackiness, he once saw a bridge with people on it begin to collapse. He ran to the library, read enough books about engineering and bridge building to know how to build a bridge, ran back to the bridge, and then rebuilt the bridge underneath the people before they could fall. Another time he evacuated an entire city, after a nuclear bomb had detonated, by carrying the people out two at a time. He managed to get everyone out before the blast could hit them.

Say Flash had to fight General Zod. While that would be an even fight for Superman, Flash could run over to him before Zod knew he was there and steal all of his speed so it would take Zod a million years to process a thought, or he could just grab on to him and drop him into the Speed Force itself, from which there is no escape (except by Flash).
    Wonder Woman can fly at light speed though, as well as run at or near lightspeed. She has run alongside Jesse Quick and lassoed her just as she was about to go into the Speed Force (see above) which explicitly requires someone to go lightspeed. While she doesn't have his exact powers, she can form an empenetrable shield by crossing her bracers, can shoot the lighting of Zeus by doing the same thing, has a magic lasso that can grow to any length (she looped it several times around earth and combined with Superman and Martian Manhunter to tow the planet), is unbreakable, and can control anyone caught in it (or trap them inside their own mind). You can find her character more interesting, but her level and variety of powers are right up there with Superman. She also doesn't have the easily exploitable weaknesses to magic and kryptonite that Superman does.

Green Lantern only has the ring, but that allows for a near infinite variety of powers. He can do basically everything that Superman does. Energy beams? Check. Super wind? Check. Durability? Check. Super speed? Check. X-ray vision? Check. Lifting/punching/throwing? Check. He can also use it to phase, turn invisible, transmute things into other things, travel between dimensions, disguise himself as anyone, recreate a planet, etc.

Seriously, if the reason to leave Superman out of a Justice League movie is too many powers at too high a level, you really can't include anyone from the original league besides Batman and Aquaman, and even Aquaman is way too powerful to be threatened by stuff like bullets.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why? Are you an offended Batman fan? He's a great character so I meant no disrespect.

Batman is a normal human being with extensive training. He has no super powers. Black Widow is a human being with extensive training and no super powers. That was my point. Batman can't fly, he doesn't shoot rockets and lasers out of his suit, he doesn't have super strength, he's not bullet proof, he can't send a nuke into outerspace with his batsuit, he can't summon a storm, etc.

9. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

LMA:grin: although that is funny i have to object. He's more like captain america. The commander behind the battle

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, and Captain America uses his shield. Nolan's Batman wears bulletproof armor. What's your point? Without his ring, Green Lantern can easily be killed. You can easily have Flash be weaker than that.

You can not make Superman human without Kryptonite, which he then becomes human.

Superman is all powerful short of his one weakness which he is overly weak against.

11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Lex Luthor is vicious. Awesome!

12. dmenacela

Here's another interesting read. According to the article, WB/DC Comics are in the content development stages for multiple movies with each focusing on a character like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and The Flash to name a few. At this point, it's not clear whether they will bring back Christian Bale, Zach Snyder, and Ryan Reynolds who did Batman, Superman and Green Lantern. My guess is that they will reboot those franchises for purposes of creating a new Justice League universe (similar to how Avengers was positioned).

http://www.slashfilm.com/dc-movies-warner-bros-developing-justice-league/

How Many DC Movies Is Warner Bros. Developing Along With ‘Justice League?’

Posted on Friday, June 8th, 2012 by Germain Lussier

13. StupidMoniker

Without his ring, he isn't really Green Lantern though. The ring is what makes him a Lantern. Otherwise he is just Hal Jordan, test pilot (or Kyle Raynor, artist, John Stewart, Marine, Guy Gardener, jerkass, whoever).

If Green Lantern is there that means he has his ring, which means all the complaints about Superman that are not about his backstory/personality apply to him as well. Captain America's shield is hardly comparable to Green Lantern's Ring. He doesn't need to block bullets with the ring, he can be asleep and get shot at and the ring will protect him. Green Lantern is every bit as bullet proof as Superman. He can duplicate or better all of Superman's powers.

My point is, getting rid of Superman doesn't solve the problem that you have invented (that other characters are much more powerful than Batman), because all the other members of the League are far more powerful than Batman. Instead of getting rid of Superman (and apparently taking away GL's ring and weakening Flash), why not just tell a story with a villain that Batman can't handle? Batman can still be there, and even contribute with his intellect and detective skills. Just because he will be of no use by hitting people doesn't mean the rest of the JLA needs to be written out or taken down to his level. If you want a movie centered on Batman, there are quite a few available. When you make a team movie though, you don't make the Hulk as weak as Captain America just so Cap can be relevant, you have the Hulk do the smashing and Cap have a more ancillary role.
    Of course you can have Flash be weaker. You can also have Superman be weaker. Look at Bruce Timm's Superman, he wasn't going around at lightspeed. He wasn't punching moons apart. You can give them whatever power levels you want. That has nothing to do with the characters.
    You can take away Superman's powers with red sun radiation, so you are just flat out wrong there.
    He is not all powerful. There are many characters in both Marvel and DC with equal or greater powers. He is just the most iconic. Captain Marvel is nearly identical to Superman in strength and speed, has magic lightning instead of heat vision, but has no weaknesses to magic or kryptonite or red sun radiation. Silver Surfer dwarfs Superman in every category. That doesn't prevent many, many comics from existing starring each of those characters.

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

StupidMoniker has proven why it is so difficult to make a good DC movie. The powers that their characters possess are ridiculous. To make a decent movie they have to take some powers away from them and bring them back to a more classic state.

15. StupidMoniker

When they were in a more "classic" state, they were even more powerful. Superboy in the silver age played fetch with Krypto using a neutron star. Superman was flying around so fast that God had to send the Spectre to tell him to slow down, otherwise he would tear reality apart. Superman once sneezed away an entire solar system. The Crisis on Infinite Earths reigned in the characters to a level that I described above. Unless you are referring to very early Golden Age stuff, like Action Comics #1 Superman, you are not looking for a more classic state, you are looking for a Timm-verse state.

This is not a problem unique to DC though. I mentioned Silver Surfer earlier. Marvel has already teased Thanos at the end of Avengers and he would b****slap the entire Justice League and the Silver Surfer put together. Scarlet Witch changed the whole world on a whim and was able to bring herself back to live after she was killed. Franklin Richards, Mad Jim Jaspers, the Beyonder, Eternity, etc. have powers with no real defined upper limit. Hell, the Infinity Gauntlet lets anyone be a universal threat. Having powerful heroes does not make it too difficult to make a movie, you just can't make The Dark Knight with them, you have to write a story based on those heroes. The Sinestro Corps war was a good story that involved thousands of heroes and villains that could destroy planets easily, but they didn't try to make it a dark gritty tale about crime in one city. Look at the Avengers. There was nothing that really threatened Thor or the Hulk in the whole movie, but they had a grand planetary scale villain and a big alien invasion and it worked. You just have to write a story appropriate to your characters.

#35 StupidMoniker, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

the classic state thing was actually a joke. But, yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Sure, but how likely is it that one of these mega-hit movies will be centered around Silver Surfer or the Scarlet Witch?

I think huge comic book fans forget that more of us grew up with a few comics, cartoons, and just a basic understanding of the key characters. Not everyone has followed each universe's more zany story lines. So, yea, the more god-like a main character's powers are the harder it is to keep yourself from thinking "why doesn't he just...". The vulnerability and character complexity is what makes marvel and batman movies sell.

And, I would not have enjoyed the Avengers if Thor and Hulk showed more of their abilities.

17. dmenacela

Bump.

Two months old but with Justice League rights acquired, Warner Bros. has signed screen writer Will Beal for script content development. Bale questionable for return..

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not really an advantage where The Avengers are concerned. JLA is ALL of the DC A-listers; The Avengers is not all of the Marvel A-Listers. Still, it would be great if Disney ponied up to buy all of the Marvel movie rights back.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Will Ferrell and Sarah Silverman? I can dream.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Flawed logic to assume people want a Justice League movie just because the Avengers did well. That's like assuming Spiderman was going to compete with TDK. They should stick to their original idea of hiring no-name actors and keeping it low budget so when it sucks they can sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened - none of these Bale pipedreams please.