1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feature] Justice League

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmenacela, Jun 8, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Superman returns:
    $270M production budget (does not include marketing)
    $200M domestic gross
    Franchise immediately terminated and rebooted

Hollywood typically sees 50% or less (Ex. China: 25%) of foreign gross. So Superman Returns, +Foreign net and -Marketing probably ended up being a simple break even. But the weak reception sealed the deal there. A follow up was going to face an uphill battle.

Wolverine cleared its budget (domestic return 120% of production budget), but FOX wasn't deaf and blind to the criticism (37% at RT). You get away with a lemon once if you're lucky. That's a big reason why they've taken so long with the follow up - they knew they couldn't slapjob another one behind a $4 waiter's script.

If you want a franchise today, you need to put forward at least two strong films to come away with at least a trilogy. With quarter-billion budgets, there's no forgiveness for busts or dodged bullets.

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Ben Affleck was da bomb in Phantoms!

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You are an embarrassment to the game of pool and should be glad I even let you play at my table.

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

LOL Ben Assfleck? I guessed hollywood are scare of making a really good movies because they won't be able to reboot it again right away to cash in a second time.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Armie Hammer, the Winklevoss twins from Social Network, rumored to don the cowl in the new JL movie.

6. jocar

jocar Member

I approve of this movie

[​IMG]

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The point was, you didn't actually need a good movie to attract audiences, not that they were stunning successes. They both nearly doubled Green Lantern in terms of worldwide gross, just by being bigger names.

Good mainstream super hero movies make major bank. Even those "flops" were somewhat safe bets because of who they featured.

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Justice League to compete with Avengers 2

http://m.news24.com/channel24/Movies/News/Justice-League-to-compete-with-Avengers-2-20121019

9. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Dude... Gone Baby Gone, The Town and now add Argo to the list. The man is 3 for 3 with slam dunk films he's directed. Say what you will about his acting, but no one should write him off as a director until he gives us reason to. And thus far he's given us nothing but the opposite.

So if he winds up in the directors chair, I'll wind up in a theater chair (like I wouldn't be there if anyone else directed it.. but for the sake of making a point... ;) )

10. body slam

body slam Member

I honestly would much rather see a Legion of Doom movie. Change it up a bit and focus on the bad guys.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You're easily impressed.

12. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Clearly, I'm the only one.

1 person likes this.
  13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Exclusive: Is Joseph Gordon-Levitt already set to play Batman in 'Justice League'?

http://m.hitfix.com/motion-captured/exclusive-is-joseph-gordon-levitt-already-set-to-play-batman-in-justice-league

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I feel like it should be a Bruce as Batman in the JL and not his successor. Hopefully WB knows what they're doing.

14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

15. 713

713 Member

Just because JGL played Robin in TDKR doesn't mean he has to play Robin in JLA. He might be playing a young Bruce Wayne. It's a whole different universe with whole different characters, it just so happens to be the same actor. Nobody watched TDK and when Commissioner Gordon appeared went "OMG it's Sirius Black!! This must be in the same universe as Harry Potter.

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a ridiculous comparison...the characters are the same and therefore it would make more sense that the universe stays consistent. Not saying it's a must or even that important, but just want to point out a stupid argument when I see one. That being said, JGL would be a solid choice because he's a good actor.

17. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you god. I'm really excited to see Nolan do something on his own. I loved Memento, Following, Inception etc, and will be glad for him to come up with a brand new story. Loved the Nolan Batman films, but only because they were crime stories that happened to feature superheroes and not the other way around. Nolan is a great director, I don't want to see him bounded by studio execs in a big money franchise.

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

My biggest gripe with this is that if the rumors are true, it's not Bruce Wayne donning the cowl which I think is the most essential part of the Batman mythos. I don't understand how they can think having a made up character that wasn't even in the comics become Batman will sit well with the fans.

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I think that's what made Avengers so good. You had all the big name actors reprise their roles except of course Ed Norton. They kept the story line with each character intact and were able to intertwine them all into this story. Not sure how you do a JL movie change all the lead actors that made the movies good and then create a story to bring them all in.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

All you need is a seamless script that accounts for the changes in their appearance. Maybe an early bonding scene where they are at the barber shop talking about plastic surgery, drastic auto accidents, facial herpes, etc.

1 person likes this.