1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]- The Untouchables, T-Mac 13th, Yao 4th

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by askball, Jul 7, 2006.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

What I like about this is 2 of the top 3 have rings and the 4th is LBJ, I can not see that kid not getting a ring at some point in the next 5 years. Les just needs to get Yao some help and we'll have that trophy in Houston.

#21 tiger0330, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I love Yao as much as anybody, but you got to take Lebron over him. If nothing else, for the simple reason that you can always get the ball to Lebron, because he can create off the dribble and can handle the ball the length of the court if need be. You stick enough people around Yao and you just can't get him the ball.

Not to mention that they are making it impossible to guard people on the perimeter, combined with Lebron's natural size and strength makes him an unstoppable offensive option.

Now if Yao elevates his 15-18 ft jumper to automatic status, then we got a competition. Because if Yao starts flash cutting, pick and popping, slip screening, and sticking jumpers from all over, then it'll impossible to stop him. If you give him an inch, he'll bury a shot in your face. If you get up on him, then he rolls into the post and kills you on the low block.

Put Yao on the weakside, where he has the option of flashing to the high post and getting an open look, or sealing off his man when the ball get rotated for an automatic jump-hook or turnaround jumper. Have Yao give an off-ball screen to a shooter or scorer like Novak or Mcgrady. Then he has the option to post up or float to the baseline. Etc, etc, etc.

Letting Yao incorporate more of a midrange game makes him much harder to defend. Teams, just can't key in on denying him the ball. Maybe then he we could have an argument between Yao and Bron.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Errr. It's not a "talent index", it's a trade value index. This is not a question of whether LeBron is a better player than Yao, it's a question of whether LeBron is more untradeable than Yao. And if you asked me, the only person in this league who is more untradeable than Yao is Dwayne Wade.

And I have to agree with what someone said earlier -- Yao has no peers in this league. None. He is as close to unreplaceable as you'll get.

4. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

I think it is really up to JVG if Yao ever gets a chance to showcase his outside game.

In the reports on Yao's training, there are repeated mentioning how he drains 18/20, 21/25 3 pts... Is that a sign of what's coming next season?

5. Chronz

Chronz Member

no

jermaine oneal did the same thing but they wont be out there launching 3's when their a game is in the post-midpost area

6. Toast

Toast Member

Nah. Take "history" into consideration. The guy brought San Antonio their championships. Why in the world would they want to trade "Mr. San Antonio?"

Yeah, we traded "Mr. Rocket," Hakeem Olajuwon. But he was WAY past his prime. TD's still revvin'. So this year at least, TD's even less tradeable than Yao.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

What? TYao's offense is not enough for you? If Yao starts draining treys like Tim Thomas, he is going to be even more unstoppable. If there is any I wish Yao could improve is his rebounding.

8. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

So you think that if we offered Yao for TD right now, the Spurs would turn it down? Personally, I think they would be all over that trade.

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

And all you "Bring Back Stevie" guys should note his sidebar on 25 worst contracts in the NBA:

10. Raef LaFrentz -- 3 years, $35.4m
    9. Mark Blount -- 4 years, $27.5m
    8. Marko Jaric -- 5 years, $35m
    7. Erick Dampier -- 5 years, $50m
    6. Jerome James -- 4 years, $25m
    5. Chris Webber -- 2 years, $43m
    4. Steve Francis -- 3 years, $52.7m
    3. Stephon Marbury -- 3 years, $59.2m
    2. Zach Randolph -- 5 years, $73.3m
    1. Kenyon Martin -- 5 years, $71m

10. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

the knicks have 5 players in the list of 25 worst contracts...Lol

eddie curry, Q rich, marbury, francis, Jamal crawford

11. dfwrox

Yao is setting plenty of picks for Tmac right at the 3 pt line. Adding a 3 pt shot from Yao into that situation will be deadly.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And there have been people here wanting Martin, Randolf, and LaFrentz. Wow. At least LaFrentz is "only" 3 more years at an average of about $12 million per. Ouch!

13. dfwrox

Isn't that their starting 5 ;)

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I'd put Lebron at No.1...Yao and Kobe tie at No.2...

1. Lebron
    2. Yao and Kobe
    4. Wade
    5. Duncan
    6. Dirk

Oh by the way, did someone in another thread say Lebron may plan to bolt to Houston after his rookie contract??? :eek: :D :eek:

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

That list of top 25 worst contracts should seriously be a sticky somewhere.

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Where's Juwan?

I would take Franchise back if they take Juwan and Rafer.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Again, Juwan makes less than you think. That trade doesn't work salary-wise.

18. Tuan

Tuan Member

Ill take the post All Star Yao over Lebron any day. Its much easier to build a team around a dominant big man than a swing player. As great as LBJ is he isnt no where close to being MJ to pass up on a talented center. No swing player is ever going to touch MJ status until they play D, and dominate the 4th quarter on a consistant basis.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Member

You probably couldn't get Kobe for Wade, Lebron, or KG for that matter....

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

O... now i know why tmac rarely dunks and goes to the hoop like his past years.. doesnt want to hurt his back