1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn -insult] Jordan or no Jordan, Olajuwon was great

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Sep 5, 2008.

1. LoveRoxHateJazz

The media tends to change history.

Malcolm X, Ali, The Dream...do you see a pattern?

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Adande is terrible i never cared for his articles when he wrote for the LA Times and he is even worse now on espn (he is really annoying when he guest hosts on PTI trying to yell and just create dissenting opinions)

this is just a crap article saying yeah he is good, but it was because jordan wasnt there which is an insult to Hakeem.

sometimes i wish that Ralph's injury and the other off court issues with the other guys on that 86 team never happen otherwise Dream could have easily more than 2 rings on his hands.

3. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

We don't need to go here....but I wonder if there's a correlation between "Clutch City citizens" and non-citizens....and their respective political affiliations.

4. Christopher

Christopher Member

What a stupid article.

So Jordan won a title every time he decided to lace up his boots, apart from when he didn't, but they don't count. :confused:

This is why ESPN went from being am amazing sports station to being cheap rubbish that true sports fans know to avoid.

In the NBA, you have one major overriding factor and that is the East and West do not meet until the finals.

During the 90's the West had teams and players that were amazing, the western conference playoffs were wars and to come out of the west was an achievement on its own.

When the Bulls made the finals, we couldn't manage to get there. When the Rockets made the finals, the Bulls couldn't manage to get there.

We played one season where Jordan wasn't in the League, won the title, and then backed it up the next season with a playoff run that is tougher than any championship winning side in the NBA's history has ever had to face.

ESPN can kiss my ar$e.

5. TheyCallmeExMan

I sense the war feelings in you.

6. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Cuz Jordan was serving his 18 month gambling suspension.. errr minor league baseball tryout

7. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

what a piece of crap article...plz next time dont post on this board, thanks

8. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

This was on the comments for the ESPN article, and I thought it was pretty interesting:

Michael Jordan -

"If I had to pick a center, I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him."

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

If you look through his career, Jordan didn't mind talking a bit about opposition players and what held them back.

He never had anything but praise from Hakeem.

11. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

MJ is to blame for this "missing element" not Hakeem. He thought he ran out of challenges in the NBA, when in fact, he chose to bypass what would have been his biggest challenge in the NBA, the Houston Rockets.

I think the Rockets would have beaten the Bulls. No NBA team in the modern era is capable of winning 4,5,6,7,8 titles in a row. Plus the Rockets had spectacular role players that the 91 lakers, 92 blazers, and 93 suns wished they had had.

If winning 4 to 8 titles in a row was easy, why couldn't the 2003 Lakers do it? I mean, they lost to the Spurs who were owned by the Lakers in previous seasons?

12. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Is this a joke?

13. desertfire

desertfire Member

I thought it was a good article and very complimentary. Some of you will never be satisfied unless some journalist writes an article that says unequivocally that Olajuwon was better than Jordan, which is, of course, nonsense.

Who cares what happened in a few regular season matchups with the Bulls? The Finals is an entirely different matter. The Rockets and Bulls never met at that level. Let's just let the accomplishments of Hakeem stand for themselves, which is exactly the point of the ESPN article.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

If Jordan and Olajuwon had somehow played on the same team together, that would have undoubtedly been the best NBA team of all-time. I don't even care who filled out the roster. They probably would have won 9 out of 10 championships, maybe 10 out of 10. Arguably, the greatest guard and the greatest big man playing side by side. They would have owned the league.

15. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I agree with you on this.

Ask the 1995 Spurs if regular season domination vs an eventual playoff opponent means anything.

16. LoveRoxHateJazz

The greats always get shafted by the fan favorites. The media is just telling casual fans what they want to hear.

Today is not a day to compare, but a day to remember we got to witness one of the greatest.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly,
    who else got dissed today?

Musburger or no Musburger, Vitale was great?

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

still annoys me

i wore my artest jersey to work today to laugh at the few kings fans here but i am going to go home at lunch wash and wear my olajuwon one instead when i get back.

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

"But they all had an equal opportunity when Jordan was gone, and Olajuwon was the only won to cash in."

Looks like ESPN needs an editor...