1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn -insult] Jordan or no Jordan, Olajuwon was great

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Sep 5, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't talk to rookies.

just like that Sixer's team that went to the Finals against the Lakers, the Rockets with Steve Francis waxed them like Karate Kidd.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dude, lay off the 'shrooms.

Duncan is great.

Dream was MUCH greater.

Duncan can take over a game.

Dream could take over and absolutely DOMINATE a game, on both ends of the court.

3. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Really the argument is much simpler than this. We are just talking about validating the Rockets superiority over the Bulls during the two championship years. The Bulls were obviously better than the Rockets when they won the 6 titles, but the Rockets, I argue, were better during our two championship years. We made the finals 2 out of 2 times during those years vs 0 of 2 for the Bulls. Yes, the Rockets didn't make the finals the previous 3 years but those were different teams and worse teams.

4. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

No. There's no excuse for the Bulls. The Rockets beat the team that beat the Bulls. That still doesn't tell me the Rockets would beat the Bulls had they met in the other years or vice versa. It's just coincidence that the Rockets best year was the year Jordan didn't play. Had Jordan played who knows. Maybe the Rockets would have won anyway.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

For further proof that evil exists just look on the front page of Cluthfans...

BTW, it doesn't matter what they may say or print, nobody from the NBA has asked the Rockets to return those 2 Larry O'Brien trophies simply because the great Jordan wasn't playing so AFAIK, case closed...

6. tinman

Supporting Member

ok, I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

7. ToyYodaSender

ToyYodaSender Member

I would say that the 93-94 Rockets would beaten the Bulls in the Finals even if Jordan did not retire.If Olajuwon was putting Ewing in the spin cycle then imagine how he would of annihilated Cartwright.Maxwell would have made Jordan shoot a lower percentage due to his stifling defense.

8. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

So now we agree. I won't say the Rockets would've definitely won, but the reverse isn't true either.

And in any case, people talking about "what ifs" doesn't mean anything. I could claim that Tmac shouldn't be considered the player that can't make it out of the first round because if Alston and Yao had been healthy, we probably would've. But I don't. Fact of the matter is, we still need to actually do it and we can't just wave our magic wand and say that we already did but got screwed by injuries.

9. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I didn't say they would bow down. I'm simply saying that your claims that they were as good or better are invalid. The same could be said vice versa, but when both teams had full squads, one made it to the finals year after year while the other didn't with the exception of 95. And I'm not about to use that one year as a sign of dominance over the other team.

And don't talk out your ass so quickly. This is a notorious Bulls hater you talking to who simply gained respect for them and stating the facts. I don't know what horse you riding on but it needs its legs chopped off real quick.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Awesome story, thanks. Now that I read it, I vaguely recall hearing about that somewhere else in this forum or from my cousin in the past. Houston would easily be considered right alongside the Celtics and Lakers as the greatest NBA franchises in history if that deal went through. Olajuwon, Jordan and Drexler in their primes. Are you kidding me!

11. tinman

Supporting Member

You a Bulls hater? Then I'm freaking president of the Karl Malone Fan Club!

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tinman, do you have a link to that thread you posted where you stated the case for the Rockets winning it all those two years even if MJ had been around?

13. tinman

Supporting Member

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Let's say we play "WE ARE BULLS FANS"

didn't Ewing and Riley actually lose to Jordan in the playoffs? Why does Dream get "Jordan-ed?"

Example of Disrespect:

ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=3566939
    Hall call is simply Awesome

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3570993
    Ewing's hot and cold relationship with Knicks fans

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&id=3372476
    Best of Riley will overshadow worst of Riley

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=olajuwon-080905
    Jordan or no Jordan, Olajuwon was great

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

at a private firm but I've pretty much forced them to accept my Rockets fandom to a point where they just accept it and just go "Shri and his rockets"

I even have a rockets dress shirt and some polos on the days when I need to dress up.

I dont always wear rockets gear to work but at least twice a week for sure.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

LOL @ this comment from CBS Sportsline about Hakeem and Ewing being inducted today:

"Ewing is my second favorite player ever (behind Julius Erving), and Hakeem was part of one of the most entertaining college teams ever. I don't know of anybody who expanded their game as much in the pros as these two did."

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/10327603

According to this guy, Ewing expanded his game as much as Olajuwon. Then, he mentions almost nothing about Hakeem's NBA career other than "he expanded his game". While true, it doesn't exactly give you the impression that he knows what he's talking about.

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

The West was never as deep top-to-bottom, but it always had more truly elite teams, especially after Shaq landed in LA. After that, the only legitimate threats to the Bulls were Indiana and New York. I wonder how things would have turned out had the NBA not screwed the Knicks in the 1997 series against Miami. People forget that team was built specifically to deal with Chicago.

The Rockets had to deal with Seattle, Utah, Phoenix, San Antonio, and LA on an annual basis.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Was this article about THE DREAM or about Jordon

I really could not tell

Rocket River
    :mad:

19. longhornchampno

I don't know about anyone else. But you are obviously a "Clutch City non-citizen" and your political affiliation is Facist.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member