1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn -insult] Jordan or no Jordan, Olajuwon was great

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Sep 5, 2008.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

2. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Awesome ;)

3. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

One thing to keep in mind is that Jordan and Pippen had plaed a lot of basketball in the previous 3 years, including the Olympics. As you get older that wears on you more and more and while he wasn't walking with a cane, it certainly had to take it's toll.

So the main thing is that we'll never know but to think he would have automatically won is absurd.

4. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

It's the magic bullet theory, or hypodermic needle model in action

Mass media transmits message:

Audience receives and accepts wholly:

Jordan never made it to the Finals without Pippen and an all-star PF on his team. Yes, I said TEAM.. did you know Jordan played in one?!?! ZOMG!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Leading scorer and most important player (arguable) on two legendary Bulls teams - yes
    Undisputed GOAT - no, because that term is so subjective it doesn't even mean anything
    Greatest Media Profile Of All Time - quite possibly

5. Jbueno08

Jbueno08 Member

yeah we traded for mario elie in 1993 from the blazers homie.
    just saying. :p

6. Jbueno08

Jbueno08 Member

:cool: Also if you guys recall it was the sonics that were responsible for the big eliminations in 93 and 96. Would the results have been different if we had faced them during the championship runs? I mean thanks to mutumbo and the 8th seeded nuggets and the lakers in 95 we were able to ignore them completely and we were not able to get past them until 97 with barkley but without the additions of horry, cassell, kenny smith, and madmax. when i think about that i wonder what could have happened but its only what if..thats only history though because all that matters is that we won 2 championships and the sonics got the big goose egg...ZERO! :D

7. allenfy

allenfy Member

i heard that before 1984 draft portland actually proposed a trade of its draft pick together with drexler for thompson, but hou rejected. is that true?
    let s say if it was true and hou did accept the trade. wow, i cant imagine how many titles in a row that would be :eek: :eek:

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Sonics won the championship in 1979.

9. LouisianaRocket

J.A. Adande is a tool

10. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I love Jordan. He was on one side of my wall growing up.

I love Olajuwon. He was on the other side of my wall growing up.

But I will say it until I die...pound for pound....Dream is the best player I have ever seen.

Espn is full of ****. Look at what they say about Kobe:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070326&sportCat=nba

I mean...do they REALLY know sports? To say in that article that Kobe is better than Jordan shows just how shallow their analysis can be.

I put it like this....if a man can put up 26pts, 13rebs, 150blks, 342stls in one season, during his career get a quadruple double I think TWICE, be in the TOP FIVE...NOT TOP TEN...TOP FIVE in Scoring, Rebounds, Blocks AND steals NUMEROUS times...you do THAT, you can say you are a better player.

Stats like that don't fall out of the sky.

And you see that stat line up there? That was in 1993 when he SHOULD HAVE WON the MVP. Nobody was even close.

11. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

The bulls had no answer for olajuwon. he tore the bulls everytime we met them. i remember jordan saying the team he thought who could stop them was the rockets. he said that he feared no player more then olajuwon. he was damn relived that the jazz and stockons fluke shot beat us in the WCF.

12. Jbueno08

Jbueno08 Member

damn you are right sir.
    excuse me for my misinformation.
    but we still have one more then them!

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

No, not an overreaction. I just read the thing too. What a bunch of arrogant tripe.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Hakeem and Jordan cannot be compared, we all know that. The reason that Jordan has so much publicity (not saying hes overrated) was because he changed the face and style of the game. A scorer is always more popular than a passer, An amazing dunker who makes 50% of his dunk shots will be more popular than one that makes 80% of his layups.

Hakeem was terrific because of his versatility, but he lacked flamboyancy which Jordan had. I'm going to admit that Jordan is more entertaining, but they both exceed in their stats and cannot technically be compared together with due to their positions.

Still, neither KG nor Duncan can be compared to Hakeem. Hakeem has guard like quickness and superior big man handles. Something all nba center lacks or cannot compete with. His pump fakes brings on a whole new style of post moves. Whiles most centers these days thrive on physical strength to score (Shaq). Hakeem thrives on amazing footwork (He spins so damn fast). Not to mention, Hakeem is a terrific passing big man.

15. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

When you've arrived at the pantheon, you have to be tamed and ruthless. Olajuwon was ruthless at his peak. Some give up when they are hurt. Some give up when they are tired. Some give up when they face a seemingly stronger opponent or team. Both the 94 and 95 team would have beaten any of the Jordan teams 91-93. The writer is sheep. He can't help it. He swallowed what the national media was selling him in the 90s. There are some very logical reasons whey the Rockets would have won.

16. piyong

piyong Member

me email Adande as below:

Adande, you article absolutely not appreciate at time Hakeem revceived his honor as HOF.

As you know, you are not MJ and even MJ respect to Hakeem.

And at the you smile face at appear on page to send this message annoy me all time.

Better think twice or more when you writing your article to public.

If you had personally aka ESPN againts Rockets Houston, please let us now (as Rockets fan all over the world) we will ignore all of ESPN bull**** article all time.

FYI, Jordan never meet Hakeem at NBA final. And Jordan team aka Chicago Bulls less achieves over Hakeem - Houston Rockets.

Yeah, you smile annoy me right now.

17. superx

superx Member

They can't burn the memory of people's,they can't burn the truth---Jordan or no Jordan, Olajuwon was great :D

18. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Jordan was what Federer is today. Dominant. Complete. Legendary...

Until he ran up against Nadal. And Jordan's Nadal was Olajuwon.

When its all said and done, Federer will have more hardware. But in his nightmares, he sees Nadal. Nadal KNOWS he can beat Federer. Jordan knew how tough it would have been to face Olajuwon ESPECIALLY when he had a good team to face Jordan.

Jordan knows he is lucky to not see the Nigerian Nightmare.

There is an ESPN Magazine quote somewhere where Jordan talks about Olajuwon. I can't find it. Anyone seen this before? It was around 1997.

19. hoarhay2

hoarhay2 Contributing Member

I found the article insulting as well. At the point when someone is inducted into the HOF, you should focus on the greatness. 3 Final Fours, MVP, 2 rings, Gold Medal, incredible athleticism, one of the great defenders of all time at any position .... true class act. But instead there is comparison's to Vijay Singh.. I have said this before, but if Hakeem played in New York or Chicago (thank god he didn't for us) he would be on a whole different level in terms of how the media treated him. The fact he was so classy and soft spoken may have hurt him in the sense he was covered in the media less ... but after watching countless games growing up, he was a joy to watch. His athleticism was off the charts. In the early years he was crazy fast and a bit of a loose cannon and made the most spectacular plays. Then he refined his game over the years and you saw less of the crazy dunks and steals but you saw the most amazingly graceful shot in the dream shake. Noone comes close.Love the Dream. He deserved better than Adande's tribute.

20. LoveRoxHateJazz

Jordan or No Jordan, Olajuwon was the Greatest.