1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Donatas Motiejunas won't report to Rockets cause of $6M difference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gorki, Dec 7, 2016.

1. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Morey is going to let the contract sit until the March expiration (assuming they can't negotiate the trigger dates on basis of them being "principal terms)...

If DMo shows up for the physical and is healthy, great, we have him on a team friendly contract...
    If DMo shows up for the physical and his back is iffy, we fail his physical and he becomes a Net...
    If DMo waits it out, he becomes a RFA again in march and the Rox still have matching rights...

2. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

As long as this keeps going on there will be more Dmo threads. Dmo is the new CFMOFO for sure!

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

[​IMG]

I know that OJ is back in the news... a Clinton ran for president... and the Rockets are decent again BUT... BJ Armstrong needs to realize he can't go back to the 90s.

basso likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ouch. I'm taking my marbles and going home

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Morey negotiation with BJ Armstrong:

B-Bob likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Speaking of which, former role player got another role player's back.

7. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Let the chronicles of D-Mo, the mother ****ing pioneer, continue as he embarks on this selfless journey destroying what any other mediocre player has ever dreamed of doing in restricted free agency.

red likes this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Fourth page!!!!!!!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

How did Morey get caught? The Rockets don't even absolutely need DMo. We are winning right now without him just fine. The way things are right now, DMo can't even play overseas. He has no way of making money right now (until March 1st when the offer expires) besides showing up to play for the Rockets.

10. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

We are NOT UP A CREEK no matter what. DMo and his dumb azz agent are. Your posts make me cringe.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  11. basketballholic

It's not going to work out that way. Sorry.

12. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I didn't think it was because of the incentives because no agent could be this stupid. I admit, I was wrong.

The Nets are also pretty stupid, but we already knew that.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, it might not work out that way if they agree to move the March 1st date back to the summer so that they don't have to make a decision on DMo's 2nd year till then. Other than that, I don't see how this works out for DMo.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's no longer a "big if." Bobby Marks who read the offer sheet and wrote the details article for The Vertical confirmed that the bonuses are not part of Principal Terms, thus do not need to be matched.

I wrote this yesterday in the Original No-Show thread

-------------------------------------------------

Individual Achievements, whether Likely or Not, are not included in Principal Terms. Only Team Performance and Generally Recognized League Honors are.

Plus, this is from an ex-NBA Asst GM who has actually read the offer sheet and wrote The Verticle article detailing the offer sheet terms

I'm going to guess the "League Honors" that Bobby Marks read are not considered Likely ... probably because DMo hasn't come close to any. So, those are probably the $2m in Unlikely bonuses.

Here's the CBA section the Nets fan quoted.

(Article XI, Section 5(d)) -- The Principal Terms of an Offer Sheet are only:
    (i) term (lenght) of the contract
    (ii) fixed and specified compensation ... blah blah
    (ii) Incentive Compensation; provided, however, that the only elements of such Incentive Compensation that shall be included in the Principal Terms are the following: (A) bonuses that qualify as Likely Bonuses based upon the performance of the Team extending the Offer Sheet and he ROFR Team; and (B) Generally Recognized League Honors; and
    (iv) Any allowable amendments to the terms contained in the Uniform Player Contract (e.g., Base Compensation protection, a trade bonus, etc)

15. basketballholic

He got caught because he is now at risk of losing DMo as an asset for nothing or having to pay DMo more than he wanted to.

16. basketballholic

You
    Will
    See

Keep cringing.

17. joomba

joomba Member

on a side note, hiring a former-player agent is always a bad idea; these contracts require a deep understanding of legal jargon and procedures that BJ clearly seems to lack, and he's dealing with MIT grad in Morey here. Not a good match.

KDavis and RudyTBag like this.
  18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Hold DMo hostage until March.
    And let the thread count continue.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....and DMo is risking not getting paid anything at all till next year. I'd say he was the one that got "caught" due to the gross incompetence of his agent.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

It might not end up that way because it might be worse...