1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Bledsoe anyone???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Although Sterling has shown in recent years that he's been willing to pay certain players, he is incredibly cheap like you said. If Chris Paul comes back, unless he's willing to take less money, he most likely gets a deal in a $20+ mill range. Bledsoe becomes a restricted free-agent after next season in the summer of 2014 (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8589693/nba-free-agents-2013-2014).

Next season will be interesting because we will see how Lin and Bledsoe improve. What Bledsoe at least has on his side are two veteran PGs in Chris Paul and Billups that he can learn from. The front-loaded contract works if the Rockets have cap space (won't happen if Rockets use it this summer) or Clippers do a sign and trade, which happens to also be Lin's last year/expiring contract.

2. rogower

rogower Member

It makes zero sense for the Clippers to trade Erik Bledsoe before the February trade deadline, since a) they're awesome (why tinker?) and b) there is the possibility that Chris Paul signs with someone else this summer.

I expect Paul to re-sign with the Clippers this summer, barring some unforeseen disaster over the next few months. At that point, yes, I have to think that the Clippers will want to trade Erik Bledsoe to the highest bidder.

My guess is that, this summer, the Clippers attempt to package Bledsoe with the unwanted final year ($8 mil in 2013-14) of Caron Butler's contract in exchange for a first round pick. They would presumably want to make this trade with a team that figures to not be very good, so the pick winds up being a high pick. It is pretty unlikely that the Clippers will want to pay a backup PG $10+ mil/year when Bledsoe hits free agency in the summer of 2014. Teams that might be interested, in my opinion:

Houston
    Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Dallas
    Utah

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm sorry, do you have a better way to evaluate them? or are you going to make another opinionated statement on EB's value?

4. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Age, potential, defense. Bledsoe is very capable of being Lowry-like before the 3 point shot, with way more upside due to his athleticism.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I agree with most of those things, but he's still around the same level as TD IMO. TD is a very pesky defender and a real energy guy, just as much as ussed to be as a bench player i think. Bledsoe is 3 years younger and does have more potential though, but lets not overrate him because of that, there no lock on him fulfilling that potential, TD had his best season in his second year when he was 23 as well.

Not that i don't believe EB won't fulfill his potential i do, i'v always liked him and wanted to trade for him. But honestly people acting like he isn't attainable on a team that has CP, CB at the point AND Jamal and WG at the 2? That is absolutely PACKED. AND they have Grant, Barnes and Butler at the 3, there wings and backcourt is without a doubt the most stuffed in the league, and EB has no chance of starting anytime soon unless CP gets hit by a bus.

So it shouldn't be too hard to get him, and he shouldn't be overvalued and seen at near "untouchable"

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

oops, fixed

7. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I agree completely in that regard, they pretty much have to trade him at some point. I wasn't sure what you meant by overrated, but I think if he was on the roster today he'd be giving Lin a run for his money for the starting job.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Also believe there VERY little chance of CP singing anywhere else. Dwight hasn't been winning with the lakers so why would CP win with dwight? Plus, Dwight is most likely not going anywhere anyways. Where would CP go? NYK? why?? The clippers have the best record in the nab? Its a REALLY fun team, its called lob city, they took over LA. Hell, he gets to live in LA, why would he leave to a NYK team that has shown can have problems, or a team with dwight who's team is sucking it up? No way jose, no way.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol i really need to start checking if things are spelled right before i post, fixed*

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I myself think Lin's a bad fit for this team, i'm sure bledsoe would give lin a run for stater. Not because he's better then Lin, but because lin really doesn't fit with this roster. Idk how well bledsoe would fit either though. I think we need a spot up shooter at the point, since harden is such a ball dominant player. I'v always liked the idea of G.Hill or L.Williams running our point.

11. Luca

Luca Member

Agreed, CP3 will not leave the Clippers as it is his team and they're winning.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Barley is a member of the food group. Can't hit a damn thing from Downtown.

13. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Bledsoe is a terrific athlete but I just don't think he's a good PG.
    He really is more like a taller Nate Robinson.

I haven't seen any semblance of passing skills, pick and roll ability, or smart decision making. He makes a lot of boneheaded plays.

As far as fit with this current team, I think Lin and Bledsoe are both bad fits.

If Rockets ship Lin out it really should be for a PG who can play off the ball and is a great spot-up shooter that can fit in next to Harden. Someone like Jimmer Fredette honestly would be a great fit. Jimmer commands a defender at all times so double teaming Harden would be a costly strategy.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Funny i didn't think of jimmer before, he's 23, on a rookie contract and has been pretty quite and underwhelming since he was drafted, and is on a loosing team with a packed backcourt.

I'm sure with those factors he can be had pretty cheap, good idea man.

15. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

My question with Jimmer is who is he going to hold on defense, but you are right he can knock down a open jumper consistently.

Also I'm scared he is going to J.J. Reddick who is a bench player.

16. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

I don't think we have anything that the Clippers might want (aside from Harden obviously).

17. BreakYoSelfFool

Actually it was exactly the opposite.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-hornets-chris-paul-submitted-nba-source-says

They wanted bledsoe, but not gordon. The Clippers dared them to pass on the deal knowing that noone else would offer a trade after the basketball reasons issue...

This is the reason everyone was shocked at the crap that the hornets got for Paul and hornets ended up having to overpay Gordon

18. dragonz

dragonz Member

let me give you a list of names that is virtually impossible:

Lebron
    Kobe
    Pierce
    KG
    Irving
    Duncan
    Anthony
    Blake Griffin
    KD + Westbrooks
    Rondo + Rose for this season

19. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Pierce and KG would be moved for the right price since they are getting older and not winning enough.

I would probably say Wade is on that list too. I know he has lost a step but I don't think they would so easily break up a championship duo so quickly (and they are still winning enough and should make it back to the finals).

Howard is also not obtainable unless he opts for free agency at the end of the year because the Lakers don't get it together (small chance).

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

pierce is not impossible...they are shopping him up in Boston according to some sources