1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Bledsoe anyone???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, Jan 12, 2013.

1. dragonz

dragonz Member

Ye, right.

Theory crafters can say whatever they want, but common sense tells me Perice and KG retire as Celtics.

2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

thats what they said about nash, ewing, karl malone, gary peyton, charles barkley etc etc etc....

3. allaroundplayer

what about giving Ginobili the max in the off season?

he would replace douglas to backup 1 and 2. i like it a lot because the Rockets have enough PFs. also, Delfino is going to be back who has that Argentinian connection. signing another PF just means delaying the development of Jones and D-Mo and who knows about White. everybody likes to find fault with Morris and Patterson, and I do to, but they are really not that bad players and I just feel bringing in another PF, whoever it may be won't be such a tremendous upgrade to them.

Ginobili is 35 and plays limited minutes but he doesn't appear to be really slowing down. He is such a skilled player and incredible court awareness. The reason I say max contract likely 3 years is because that is the only way to out pay the Spurs, who may not want to pay that much. there is also the question of does he want to retire?

i know people are going to say no way do you give 2 two guards max contracts, and i also think signing Josh Smith would be a good addition, but I think you have to consider the realistic possibility the young PFs will emerge by next season or earlier.

i also think there is a good chance the Rockets will acquire Bass from the celtics before the trade deadline. he is the type of player that isn't doing much because of his situation that could do more elsewhere. i don't know if he fits the style they are looking for, so that might rule it out, but one weakness of the Rockets he improves is they are undersized at PF. i also think danny ainge always likes to make a lot of changes. his contract is somewhat reasonable for 6 million, so i could imagine bass, who can be traded starting tomorrow, for patterson and aldrich happening.

i’m not saying getting bass wouldn’t be a good move but personally, i prefer that they would not trade any rotation players until the off season or if they do that it would be merely for draft picks only because adding new players there is an adjustment period and can affect chemistry. they are in the playoffs currently. if it aint broke don’t fix it. they lost 3 in a row, but do they NEED to do something now? I don’t think they have reached that point yet.

4. dragonz

dragonz Member

Want bet on this?

but anyways, the original point is there are more than TWO players that are virtually impossible to trade.

Hot Heads..

5. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

You forget about defense or your Fredette fan.

Ideal fit would be Mario Chalmers who already proven himself in playoffs and plays defenses.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Who is Gary Peyton?

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Maybe maybe not. I don't understand your love of Bledsoe. To be honest I didn't understand your love of Brandon Jennings either.

Bledsoe is a very meh player. He can't run an offense which the Rockets desperately need, has yet to prove than he can, Lin can. Bledsoe & Lin in terms of defensive impact there isn't that much of a gap & if we are looking for a player to partner Harden with he has to be good on D because lets face it Harden is trash on the defensive end.

For all we know bledsoe could just become Nate Robinson 2.0. If he works hard I agree he could become a Lowry type player. If any of the two is more likely to become a Kyle Lowry type player soon I would put my money on Lin over Bledsoe anyway. Lin just needs to fix his shooting asap. I am cool with Lin.

8. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Clutchfans members like Bledsoe because his name isn't Lin.

9. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Bledsoe is a freak of nature. He's a 6'1" basketball version of the Incredible Hulk.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The Jennings crush might have been a hallucination. Bledsoe on the other hand...

in just 18 minutes of playing time Bleadsoe is averaging 1.5 steals; so he's basically averaging 3 steals a game with starter's minutes, which is amazing. Hes also averaging over a block a game with starter's minutes. for a 6'1" pg thats hella impressive. The kid is a menace on the defenive end.

I think he can be an elite defender. he'll get you 16 ppg as a starter right now, but i think his shooting will improve and he'll have a chance to be 20 ppg player. He turned 23 last month.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

A hallucination on my part or on your part? Cause I vividly remember you bringing up Brandon Jennings.

Once again Bledsoe is a nice player that is for sure & his impact on D is pretty impressive. But he could be anything from a Nate Robinson type player to a Lowry type player depends on his work ethic.

And Bledsoe has yet to prove that he can run a offense that is a big thing for me. I need my PG to be able to run a team, I could care less how many points you score if you can't run a half court offense or even run a fast break I want nothing to do with you.

I am cool with Lin. At least with Lin I have more of a sure thing. Can run a team has a proven strong work ethic. Is capable of having great games where he looks like the second coming of Nash. But also capable of those stinkers where he looks like Steve Blake. Just needs to fix his ****ing jumper. People talking about Bledsoe over Lin in my opinion are suffering from grass is greener syndrome.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin can run a team? Since when?

I see McHale and Harden running a team. I see Lin looking incredibly tentative and out of sorts the majority of the time.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

McHale has been out on the court? Are you for real. Man I can't believe I missed ****ing 6 foot 10 PF/C Kevin Mchale playing alongside Harden in the back court. I need to pay better attention. Thanks for the heads up.

14. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

LMAO! your the hot head dude! take a chill pill :p all I'm trying to say is, there is really no guarantee that a player of their caliber at this stage in their careers will not be traded. it has happened before and of course there is a possibility that it will happen again lol.

15. rogower

rogower Member

As others have pointed out, Eric Bledsoe seems like a bad fit next to James Harden. Those who grew up watching Michael Jordan remember that the Bulls never paired him in the backcourt with a traditional PG. Instead, they knew that MJ have the ball in his hands more often than his backcourt mate and would try to pair him with a shooter/defender. Ron Harper was the best.

The Lakers have tried to do the same with Kobe Bryant prior to this season (Steve Nash).

James Harden isn't Michael Jordan but he's the same type of SG, so I think you're going to need to pair him with a guy who can play off the ball and who can really stroke it. That guy isn't Eric Bledsoe.

A player who I have suggested before is C.J. McCullom, a nice all-around guard who has had an excellent career at Lehigh. It would not surprise me to see Houston attempt to move up into the late lottery in this year's draft in order to draft McCullom. If he were to pan out quickly, then Jeremy Lin would be expendable.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of teams will be looking to trade out of this year's draft, as it is considered a relatively weak draft. The Bobcats likely do not believe that their "point guard of the future" is on the current roster (Kemba Walker strikes me as more of a classic sixth man/third guard). Charlotte might be willing to make this deal if they like Bledsoe's "upside" and "freakishness" or whatever more than whoever they expect to be on the board when it's their turn to pick in the draft:

2013 first round pick (protected to some extent), Ramon Sessions (owed about $5 mil in 2013-14), and Hakim Warrick (contract expires at the end of this season, I believe) to the Clippers; Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler (bloated contract, makes $8 mil in 2013-14) to Charlotte.

The Clippers trade one more year of Bledsoe and the unneeded/expensive Butler for four years of whoever they draft with that first round pick plus one more year of the very solid and reasonably priced Sessions. Butler isn't that good, certainly not as good as Matt Barnes, probably not as good as a healthy Grant Hill. We saw the Spurs make a trade like this a couple of years ago when they traded one more year of George Hill (who is a similar player to Bledsoe) for four years of the guy they drafted, who turned out to be Kawhi Leonard. Great trade for the Spurs!

We may also simply see a variation of this deal go down on draft day instead. I kind of doubt that we see the Clippers make any changes to what is obviously an excellent roster this season.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, you need to be on the court to have a major hand in running a basketball team.

:rolleyes:

Back to your shanty...

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Lowry struggled with his shooting at first too didn't he? Lin still has a chance to figure it out, no one should give up on him that quickly (especially since we aren't ready to contend for the championship)

18. CCM721

CCM721 Member

How Lin has proven anything more than Bledsoe is beyond me. He looks like the weakest link of the starters a majority of the time right now.

19. clreedjr

clreedjr New Member

Just a question, but I wonder if The Trio of James Harden, Rudy Gay, and De Marcus Cousins make H-Town a title contender

What's currently best for Bledsoe, arguably the league's top backup point guard, is to continue giving the Los Angeles Clippers the deepest backcourt in the league as they make a run at their first championship in franchise history. But eventually -- like in June or July -- it probably will be best for him to go elsewhere and run his own team.

The Clippers understand this and so does Paul. So in between running circles around the rest of the league, Paul (along with Chauncey Billups) is tutoring Bledsoe, making sure he'll be ready when he leaves the nest.[/QUOTE]

20. Nook

Nook Member

Bledsoe is an elite athlete but not a great basketball player. He is a poor passer for the point guard position and has no shot further than 5 feet from the basket. Defensively he free lances a majority of the time and relies on hustle. He does have quick hands and blocks shots... but he not ready to run a team.

Everyone brings up Lowry as a comparison to argue that his shooting will improve. However most players do not suddenly improve to the degree Lowry did. Thus, Bledsoe could become an all star, but it is statistically unlikely.

The Rockets will be able to move Lin if they choose to. Honestly you are better off counting on Lin's shooting improving and becoming a borderline all star. At a minimum Lin can pass, something Bledsoe cannot do.