1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragic - Lowry, who should be starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1510 Polk St, Mar 22, 2012.

?

Dragic - Lowry, who should be starter?

1. Kyle

221 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Goran

118 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He has horrible body language when he doesn't get calls...it rubs off on the rest of the team. Gets stuck complaining when his wild drives or flops aren't called. Still love him though.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yeah, but I'd rather a player be aggressive than passive. Remember Dragic's drive tonight when he faked Wright in the air, stepped underneath him, and hit Dirk with his off arm while going up for the shot attempt (Dirk got a cut above his eye)? He was called for an offensive foul, and even if he wasn't, it would've been a shot clock violation.

If he had jumped into Wright instead of dodging him, we would've gotten 2 free throw attempts out of the play.

3. Htown's2kFinest

People forget quickly that Kyle averaged just about 20 and 9 after the all-star break last year. We haven't seen anything like that YET from Dragic. Maybe the Dragon has the higher upside but no one will know how good he really is until he plays longer.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lowry is great at finding guys in transition, but that's mostly because he can't get to the rim. As far as finishing at the rim, its not even close. Dragis is a far superior finisher at the rim. Remember when people thought lowry would draw fouls deluxe? His ft atts has been the same as when he came off the bench.

5. cod

cod Member

The bench has been inconsistent all season with Dragic. Lowry should be given a Ginobili sixth man role if it's what it takes to get the bench rolling.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Finding guys in transition has nothing to do with an inability to get to the rim. Absolutely nothing. Lowry finds guys in transition b/c he knows their tendencies and looks for them.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He does a great job of finding Kmart on the 3pt line, and he looks for Scola on the move, both are great at finishing.

That comes with chemistry and familiarity, Dragic will get that part as well, but Dragic is much better at setting the table in the half court, and scoring himself at the rim.

Lowry would be a great backup to Dragic, but he honestly deserves to start somewhere.

I would keep the better player, and to me that is Dragic.

DD

8. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

geez guys, really? for what kyle had done for us? i say keep both

9. DaDakota

Meritocracy, sentimentality mires you in mediocrity, if someone is better, they get the spot.

That is the way life in sports works.

DD

10. HorneR

HorneR Member

Thing is, Dragic hasn't shown he's better. Comparable, sure but not better. Plus with Dragic playing the way he's playing there isn't a snowballs chance in hell we can retain him at a price equal to or less than Kyle's current contract.

I'm all for trading Lowry provided we get fair return. Like to move up in the draft, or to nab a legitimate star. For anything less, we'd be throwing away one of the league's best contracts.

11. DaDakota

Contracts do not win championships, players do, there is nothing wrong with considering contracts but if you think a player is better, you find a way to keep them.

Good teams, no check that, championship teams and organizations do not let quality players walk for nothing.

DD

12. HorneR

HorneR Member

Most people are viewing this dilemma as a way to nab a star, but keep the PG position shored up with legitimate starter talent. You, on the other hand, seem to be suggesting that if Kyle and Goran were both healthy today, you'd start Goran.

I'm all for keeping Goran and trading away Lowry, but straight up, Lowry is the better PG and player. As long as both are on the team, provided Lowry is 100% he should and would start over Dragic.

13. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I agree...I absolutely love how scola and parsons are working together...to be honest I was wanting scola be traded at deadline but seeing how him and parsons have been playing together is a thing of beauty..I'm up for keeping scola! He has won me over again

14. DaDakota

I totally disagree with that, I don't think Lowry is anything special, I think he is an above average PG, because of his competitiveness, but I believe Goran is a much better athlete, and player overall.

DD

15. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

I'm going to be number 8 PG/SG...=)

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Both have been ridiculously awesome this year. We have 2 high-caliber starting PGs in the league. I mean, look at the Lakers going gaga over Ramon Sessions and we have 2 guys who are better at that position.

It's a tough decision.

17. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i doubt lowry can sustain his current 3pt% for the long term. at some point he's going to revert to the low 30% 3pt shooting. imo he's a career 35% 3pt shooter at best which is slightly worse than dragic. and despite his improved 3pt shooting, lowry's got consistently worse overally FG% than dragic and i don't see that change for their careers.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Be precise. There is difference between being the better individual player or being the better fit on this team.

I guess you will ignore PER als always. But I agree Dragic has made a huge leap towards the top.

Even let's say he is the better player on both ends, the difference is minimal and not enough to make a difference against contending teams.
    So it does not matter until Dragic becomes prime Deron or prime Paul and I don't think he will be that good consistently over 82 games.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fixed...

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is overall? He sure does not rebound as well as Kyle.
    He is the better finisher as of now but he has to do it for one or two seasons.
    You underestimate the presence of Lee that is helping him. All Kevin Martin does is scoring, and Kyle has been plugging it away with other stats and he has to defend for himself and the whole back court.
    Kyle and Lee have been playing as well as Goran and Lee.