1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragic - Lowry, who should be starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1510 Polk St, Mar 22, 2012.

?

Dragic - Lowry, who should be starter?

1. Kyle

221 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Goran

118 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. Burko

Burko Member

Both should be starters, and thats the problem.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't confuse the cat with the facts, jack.

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

better extend Dragic now so we can be flexible during draft day..but with DM, no extensions 'til offseason.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yet you keep bringing up AB, which I responded to yesterday (somewhere), and probably should have left well enough alone. There's an argument to be made between Kyle and Goran, who would be best long term, is Goran worth giving a contract to, when we've been hoarding cap space for a max contract star, whether Kyle, having more value today, is worth moving simply because he has so much value with such a small contract that he could be the major piece in getting that All Star we need, assuming we bring back Dragic. Really, AB has nothing to do with any of this. All it does is confuse the discussion and get you grief for doing so. Yes, one could compare their games, as I did yesterday in response to you, but I can see that was a mistake.

Do we give Dragic a contract, despite the impact on the cap? Do we move Lowry if we do, because he's such a valuable trade piece? Has Dragic shown us enough as a starter to justify even considering moving Lowry in a deal to net a star? Do we try to resign Dragic, give him major minutes off the bench at the 1 and 2, despite having great depth already at the 2 (Lee and Martin, and what we do with them, being another issue, although if Martin were moved, Dragic would have more minutes available), and hang on to Lowry, who keeps improving and had become one of the top points in the league? What do we do after the end of the season with those two? Those things, and stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting, are the issues, not Aaron Brooks. He weakens your arguments, DD, he doesn't strengthen them, IMO.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen enough to know I'm comfortable with either starting ...Both are near all star level w/ upside. And one needs to go for a stud big. Arguments could be made on both sides as to who is better. I'd like to give Kyle the benefit of the doubt seeing as he's laid up, but Goran is seizing the day. Someone mentioned earlier, that Kyle can carry a team. While that is true, I agree with those that say that the Rockets are a BETTER team with Dragic. Both are twenty five, but Goran has spent the time behind Nash.(it shows in his game and he's just getting started) Watching him work with Chandler and Luis is something to behold. The turnovers need to come down, but other than that.....With all due respect to Kyle, lock up Soarin Goran for the MLE or whatever and move Lowry in the right deal. (I suspect it will be for Gasol+, but you never know)

* One last thought - I wonder how long and how much this bacterial infection was hampering Kyle's play. It may be that Lowry comes back a monster.

We need to be sure......tricky situation.

#105 Plowman, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I'm wondering which teams we really need to look out for to try to sign Dragic this offseason?

A ton of good PGs in the league right now and with so many teams watching their cap I wonder if it will actually be difficult at all to keep him at a decent price.

7. Vnilla_Gorilla

Dragic's numbers since he took over are definitely starter's numbers. BUT, you have to keep in mind that he was coming off the bench for most of the season and therefore doesn't have the same level of wear and tear on his body as someone who has been starting the whole season. This definitely plays a factor in a condensed schedule.

So, I don't think you can compare Dragic's numbers now to Lowry's before he went out with injury and make a conclusion off of that alone.

I really doubt Lowry is going to lose his starting job. The real question here is can we convince Dragic to accept a backup role at a decent salary and keep them both.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe but he's still putting up numbers after playing 40 minutes a night since Lowry went down. I'd say the exhaustion from playing almost every minute of the game probably wears on him about as much as 35 per game for the whole season.

9. JCole

JCole Member

+1 on that
    Rockets are wining with Dragic

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

They're not whining, that's Kyle's job :p

(Love Lowry but it's true.)

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

21-17 w/ Lowry
    5-5 w/o Lowry

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Hard to say though... It's not comparing "team with Lowry" to "team with Dragic". It's comparing "team with Lowry and Dragic" to "team with Dragic and Fortson".

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Pardon me... "team with Dragic and Flynn then Fortson"... even worse

[​IMG]

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Can you move on from this argument, a lot of people have proven to you why you are wrong in that point already yet you continue to use it as your premise.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Even in a recent interview with Morey, he commented how Lowry played his best off the bench a few years ago, where he was getting to the line in bunches. I know you want to diminish it because of the source, but its a legit stance.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sorry, I am not wrong, those people are just blinded by their loyalty to the guy. I understand, I was in the same boat with Brooks.

Deckard,

I am not the one bringing up Brooks, I am responding to folks that fail to understand he has nothing to do with this discussion - and can't seem to figure that out.

:)

Honestly, I think Dragic is better, and has a much higher ceiling but if we had to settle for an above average guy like Lowry, that is not a bad consalation prize.

DD

17. DaDakota

3 games that Lowry missed were against the OKC Thunder, one of which the team won, it would be interesting to compare SOS between the two, but that probably won't be necessary as the Longer Lowry is out, the more data we get to compare the two.

DD

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm not going to diminish facts, do you mind posting a link?

Bring up some facts to prove your point. Instead of just citing your opinion as fact and making an argument out of it.

19. DaDakota

I have, and don't feel like doing it again, you are free to disagree with me, but we all know you just want to argue, so let's do something different, and not do it !

WOOT !

DD

20. dwood21

dwood21 Member

I honestly think it'd be interesting to have Lowry and Dragic on the court at the same time for small spurts in the game if we see we need to go with a smaller line up during a game. But I think Dragic has earned the right to start for now and then when Lowry is fully healthy again then you'd have to assess the situation and see which one is more deserving at that point.