1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't go to to Rome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It is a beautiful city and the food is pretty good, but the people there are rude, lazy, don't believe in rules or all of the above. Apparently Italians don't believe in the concept of lines. If you see a line its probably a bunch of tourists because Italians believe they can just cut to front of the line. The service in general is terrible whether it be a cheap restaurant or an expensive restaurant. I tipped like 30% for the one waiter who actually seemed to care. It seemed like employees are more concerned about chatting with their coworkers than doing their job. It seems the only people doing any real work were the Bangladeshis and Chinese people there. This isn't really a criticism, but of the European countries I have been to, Italy seemed to have the lowest prevalence of English speakers. For having so many tourists I would expect them to know some English.

pasox2 likes this.
  2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Well, when in Rome...

macho87 likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

But they do all that dressed very well!

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I speak the 3rd best Iytalian. Vivur Durchee

Nook likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've been to a ton of cities in Europe. Rome is right at the top in places I would live for a year or two if I could.

In saying that I have got right up and walked out after being ignored a few times. It didn't really bother me though I just walked down to the next place.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I've been to pretty much every country in Europe, and to every major city within each country, and I would say that Rome is one of my favorite places to visit. There's something about the culture, history, food, and overall vibe that I feel in Italy (and in Rome specifically) that I've fallen in love with, but I can also understand where OP is coming from. Europeans (and Italians in general) feel some sort of disdain for serving others, and it shows in the way they treat each other. My experience with locals has been overall very positive, but there have been instances where I've felt like telling them that in America, they would be unemployed with their attitude. I've also noticed that when I show them I can speak very basic Italian, French, or Spanish, they tend to warm up considerably.

Houstunna and pasox2 like this.
  8. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Rome locals are TERRIBLE at treating tourists. Parisians get a bad rep, but they are actually quite OK, at least on par with New Yorkers. Athenians would bend over backward for you. I've never seen Europeans that nice to tourists. Even in Italy, Florentians and Venetians are decent.

But people of Rome... they are absolutely the worst.

pasox2 likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think it is just tourist. They don't seem to be doing their job even for other Italians. I am surprised people have jobs there. Heck I am surprised it isn't a third world country.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If you look at Italy's financials, it kind of is. They're on the Greece Payment Plan option with the EU right now.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's been over 20 years since I've been to Italy, but the further south you go, the more 3rd worldy it feels. Maybe you should try Milano or Verona.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rome is my favorite city in the world. The 3 times I have been, I have never experienced any of what you described.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This thread confirms my impression of the thread starter.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

People here don't have any consideration for lines. That's one of my biggest pet peeves. Rome is beautiful and one of my favorite places in the world. Would love to go back soon.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

i actually agree with OP.
    I went to rome, florence, venice and milan last year.

wasn't impressed with rome at all. well italy in general was underwhelming. graffitti everywhere.

enjoyed outskirts of florence especially chianti area.

Delta – $634: Houston – Rome, Italy. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
    • Valid for travel in late-January, 2017 – early-May, 2017 and from late-August, 2017 – late-October, 2017. A 7-day minimum stay is required. Must purchase at least 28 days in advance of departure.

#15 Sajan, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    713 likes this.
  16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

There is graffiti everywhere in a lot of European cities. I was in Barcelona earlier this year and it is covered in it. Especially the Gothic Quarters area.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The nicest Europeans I've met were in Lisbon. People were very friendly to tourists and went out of their way to be helpful. Berlin was fun, people were helpful when needed. The Parisian attitude was definitely apparent when I visited France. The people in Nicosia were not very friendly, but I chalk that up to economic problems and dealing with a divided city/country.

18. trustme

trustme Member

Not at all what I experienced in Rome. Was there a few weeks ago. I felt the english speaking Italians were way more prevalent in Rome than in Florence or Venice. In fact, I did not come across any local that did not speak English there.

Service is way better in the latter two for sure but we had no issues in Rome that stood out. I did almost get my pockets picked by two girls in Rome though.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I heard stories about Rome, but I had some welcoming airbnb hosts and met some amazing people there. It helped that I had a week to burn and didn't feel rushed to the point of trying to steal back time with quicker service.

Service in Europe operates at a different pace. Treat them like human beings (because we really don't in comparison) and expect to wait a longer time.

As with anywhere else, tourist traps are more likely to have terrible service.