1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't go to to Rome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Major

Major Member

These criticisms make you sound like the poor stereotype of the self-centered American who wants to visit other places and expects their culture to cater to what's important to you, instead of you simply experiencing theirs.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why go to Rome when we can just to to New Jersey to experience authentic Italian culture? :p

In fact, our Italians are better than theirs anyway. #Murica

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Rome okay. It isn't my favorite because public transportation can't match up with other European capitals, but I still loved it there. Great history, tons of great food, neat atmosphere. On one visit, I was ripped off, and it's incredibly hot in the summer. But that isn't specific to Rome, and I don't hold it against the city.

I won't really comment on the OP's experience because I wasn't there to be in any kind of situation to say whether it was failure to accept their culture or not. But I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and didn't enjoy your trip.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sort of like how Cajun food in Houston is better than in Louisiana, right?

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Of course.

Italian basketball coach in Houston is also better than in Italy.

[​IMG]

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stereotypical American attitude...

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I've studied there for half a year, it's truly horrible from an organizational standpoint.

The university regularly changed the dates of block courses and exams, you had to check the university website each morning to not be surprised. At one point a course was scheduled to start mid november, but one day before the start they postponed the whole course to mid december and the final exam to Dec 22nd, which of course mightily f****ed us exchange students, as we had our flights booked already.
    This happened regularly, at one time they even postponed a course from November to March.

A few friends live and work there, one told me a story how he had a job interview at 9:30am, but arrived late at 10:00am. To his surprise, no one was there, the HR person then managed to come ONE HOUR later and didn't even apologize or have any reason for arriving late. Many Italians just don't give a crap.

This also happens in the service industry, me and a friend were waiting at the tourist info point of a travel association and for over one hour there was no employee at the info desk - and that was during their opening time. The other employees of course didn't give a F, told us to draw a ticket (they always have those darn number tickets everywhere in Italy) and wait.

pasox2 and daywalker02 like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

did you find any gladiators?

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

lol at tipping a waiter in Europe

robbie380 and mtbrays like this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yep, expecting people to wait in line, follow rules, or expecting people to do their job is too much to ask.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I liked Rome. In my experience, most Italians are reasonably friendly if you speak the language passably.

The thing about lines seems so silly to me, I suggest you avoid Spain.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You sound like a miserable person.

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Or anywhere Chinese tourists go. They turned my girlfriend and me into racists at the Kremlin.

da_juice likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Antoni has been pretty decent in Italy, no?

15. Buck Turgidson

No, but he does like the movies.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you want orderly lines, attentive service and friendly interaction, visit Japan.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Rome don't need you anyway.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I have been there. It's a great country. People are pretty friendly even if they can't understand you. I have been to a lot of countries including 10 just this year. I guess some people here have had a good time in Rome. I guess my experience was just a little different. Rome has a smaller economy than Houston, but their city is so much nicer. Wish we could build some buildings like them.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Be back real quick. Gonna go round up all the slaves. It shall be done.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Rome is one of the 3-5 best places on the planet IMO.

They are laid back, have an incredible culture and the food is excellent.

There are so many other places you can complain about........ go to the culturally devoid and soulless China or the human cesspool that is large areas in India. Even in those places, you as a tourist have the obligation to make an effort to communicate in their language or at a minimum be humble.

AroundTheWorld likes this.