1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't go to to Rome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

I have a chance twice a year to attend symposiums globally ,pretty much free. I'm not a fan of going to large crowded cities no matter what's the attractions. this Spring I will visit Lugano,Italy& Wiesbaden,Hessen rather than Barcelona or Rome etc;

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Having worked and visited several cities in China, I would agree with the spirit of your post. I honestly didn't get the soulless feeling as much in Shanghai (where I worked) or Chengdu. Both cities have a more relaxed vibe than other cities in China. Chengdu's food is unbelievable, and I was able to build friendships with random strangers (think small, family restaurant owners) in Shanghai despite knowing little Mandarin. Beijing, however, is a hell hole. You go to the Great Wall and check the boxes for the other sites, and then you get the heck out of there. The people there are entitled, rude, and constantly trying to scam you, and the general vibe of the city is oppressive. At the tourist sites, you have to go through multiple security checks, which is unusual even for other cities in China.

On a separate note, Chinese tourists at famous sites around the world are absolutely insufferable and can ruin a visit to an otherwise amazing place. I've seen their tactlessness and rudeness irritate even the most patient people I know. The trick is to kind of just shove them out of the way if you need to get a view of something since they're used to it.

davidio840 and pippendagimp like this.
  3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The 'soulless' thing is kind of interesting. I've never been to China, but that was definitely the vibe I felt in Singapore. Which seemed odd, given what a melting pot the city is and how incredible the food was. But something felt, I dunno, artificial about the place.

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Never been, but its a small city state forcibly kicked out of Malaysia, and has a really strict government and rigid rules. I can see why it would be souless.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

agree with Hustle Town on chengdu. and another place that has still retained the old chinese culture/traditions/religion is taipei

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Well said. I have been to Shanghai a few times as well as Wenzhou and a few other cities south of there. Completely different vibe than you get in northern China (Beijing in particular). I have only been to Beijing once and will not go back unless I have to for work travel.

Chinese tourists are the WORST! You do have to push them out of the way. Hell when I am in China I typically just make my way through the markets with my shoulders and my elbows out wide to each side. I am 6'3, 230 so it probably helps that I am a not a smaller guy lol.

Hustle Town likes this.