1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Phillips Rivers do anything for you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 18, 2015.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What's all this talk about "gutting" the team?

If there really was any possibility of getting Rivers, you take that in a heartbeat.

Our 2017 salary is about 148 million. The estimated cap for 2017 is projected to be around 165 million. The following players can be cut to clear cap space:

Cushing 5.5 million
    JJo 6.5 million
    Newton 2.9 million (he's either retiring or never going to be the same)
    Chris Clark 2.75 million
    Bergstrom 2.87 million
    Weeden 2.15 million

These cuts amount to almost 23 million in additional savings...and when you add that we are currently projected to be 17 million under the 2017 cap before the cuts, that leaves us about 40 million.

You can easily take on Rivers' contract, resign Bouye, have money for your draft class, and have plenty left over for free agents.

Hopkins' contract ends after the 2017 season...you can easily pay him by cutting Brock.

Very easy to make this work, actually...the only problem is that there is no chance the Chargers let Rivers go.

vince, Fyreball and justtxyank like this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

No way in hell Dhop stays here if we let it go to free agency.. gotta lock him up a year early and hope they come to terms and promise hiim a better QB.

vince likes this.
  3. rezdawg

Yeah, you can sign him to an extension next season. Then cut Brock after 2017, which will more than pay for DHops increases in salary.

4. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

If Rivers want to get paid Brock's cap hit makes that impossible. I'd rather have Rivers over Brock any day of the week and twice on Sunday but the money is not there

5. rezdawg

Please explain how the money is not there...I laid it out for you.

6. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

I hope your correct but all I've heard was there was no way to pay Romo and Brock at the same time back when the Romo rumors were floated around. Also from what I've heard the NFL cap is not all that easy to figure out but again I hope your right and pray for Rivers.

7. rezdawg

Well, the assumption is that the cap goes up from this season...whether thats at 162 million or 167 million or whatever, it'll be determined in due time. Assuming 165 million, then that right there is 17 million in additional money...and the only two "significant" cuts that will get us to the threshold we need to take on Rivers' contract (JJo and Cushing). I dont think losing JJo is a big deal IF Kevin Johnson can stay healthy. Bouye, Kareem, KJ...that's very well above average. Losing Cushing isnt much of a deal, he can replaced via the draft of FA...it's more of a team leader that we're losing, rather than someone that is irreplaceable on the field.

In any case...based on the numbers, it can be done without ruining the team.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

What if Brock plays out of his mind tomorrow; 300 yards and 3 touchdowns, 1 pick? I'm sure some team out there will be willing to trade for him.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Aside from this minor detail, I think we can actually get this done! :)

10. vince

vince Member

Texans gambled big with Brock. It was an all in move, but it seemed hastly done though. Immediately you heard rumors it was a Smith and McNair move, and BOB wasn't totaly sold on the idea.

Now we have a coach whose commented during the season that Brock seemed to only grasp certain plays, essentially admitting the playbook offense had to be dumbed down for his Franchise QB. This isn't good...

11. raining threes

12. likestohypeguy

He does everything for me, including wearing a blue jean jacket to a party.

13. raining threes

Do you not think Rivers would be the best QB in franchise history, Or are you happy with Os?

Bouye was a nickle back until his contract yr. Replaceable

Love Nuk, but he wouldn't be a deal breaker for me toget 4 yrs of competent QB play from Rivers.

We have differing views on Rivers, I'm tired of seeing the Mallett's, Fitz, Hoyers,Os of the world playing QB. This weekend I feel like the Texans would have a shot with a QB like Rivers at QB. Os not so much. Hope I'm wrong.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A 36 year old Philip Rivers probably isn't as good as Schaub was in his prime and even then, he's failed to do anything with better teams in the past. It just doesn't make sense. I mean, we're talking about a 36 year old QB who has led the NFL in interceptions 2 out of the last 3 seasons.....why not just throw money at Jay Cutler if all we want is a big name bad QB?

15. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't think BOB wants any part of Rivers. Maybe Garoppolo is the guy we need? Well, I will wait on that because I recently predicted in the game thread that Osweiler will have a career game tonight against the Pats and Texans will win 42-3 in one of the most amazing upsets the game has ever seen. I'm going all out on this one.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Holy crap reading the early comments in this thread. "Do not want, not a Bob guy, too much gunslinger," seriously lmao? Texans could be a Super Bowl contender with Rivers, in this league you take any QB you can possibly get. Thats why so many teams overpay for guys like Osweiler, Nick Foles, or Matt Flynn. Rivers would be a literal god-send, and anyone who would simply "pass" is ridicolous.

Wonder if would be possible to make it work with Osweilers huge contract. Damn that signing really set us back a couple of years, easiest avenu may be to finally just draft a big-name guy

#216 oelman44, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm one of the biggest Schaub supporters on this site but dude, yes he is! The burden he is forced to carry with such limited offensive talent and an obscene amount of injuries is really impressive. His stats are on-par if not better than prime-Schaub's, and how do y'all still not realize that is good enough to take an elite defense over the hump? Do you not realize how much better the production Rivers gives you is than Osweiler/Hoyer/Fitzpatrick? Rivers is not one of the top elite guys (but maybe would considered to be if he was on a better team) but he is still one of the best QB's in the league. We have had one 300 yard passer in past two seasons. Rivers does that weekly. Getting Rivers is a pipe-dream

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Damn, I keep forgetting about that. On the real though, how crazy would it be if Osweiler goes out and has a career game. Nobody has more to gain and less to lose than Osweiler going into tomorrow, he could change the entire perception of him entering an important off-season

Tha_Dude likes this.
  19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Well, BOB is the most conservative dude in the league. It appears he's more afraid of interceptions than he is losing a game, judging this based on the way he has coached and called plays since coming here. I hope he takes the leash off of Osweiler and gives him the go ahead to just go chuck the ball and play some backyard style football and I think he will.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but what do yall think about naming a girl River? It's out there I know, but I kind of like it.