1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Phillips Rivers do anything for you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 18, 2015.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I believe he doesn't want to play for the Chargers. I don't think LA is a big issue.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I sort of read it the same way but then i convinced myself that the issue is LA, not moving. He's a fairly religious, I'm assuming conservative guy and maybe the he views LA as hedonistic debauchery... I don't know.

3. Hey Now!

Neither deal is cost-prohibitive, though. It's not like we're spending $12MM on the position this year. In fact, they're actually well-positioned to be a top suitor for Rivers or Brees if they both hit the market next spring.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And San Diego is most definitely one big church!

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If there's a Rivers trade to the Titans involving the #2 pick, he'll have leverage to become the NFL's highest paid player w/his new deal.</p>&mdash; Joel Corry (@corryjoel) <a href="https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/578561198439858177">March 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'd vomit if this happened. Although for the Titans, I can't possibly imagine what they think they'd do with a 33 year old quarterback. That team is still a LONG way away from being any sort of contender.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Reuniting Whisenhunt and Rivers would basically put the Titans neck and neck with us in the division. Of course they want him.

8. Hey Now!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/charging-forward-how-san-diego-could-move-on-from-philip-rivers/
    Man, I recognize the Rivers-to-Titans rumors are almost comical in how much sense they make for all parties (once you successfully wrap your head around the fact Rivers wants out). But if he really is being dealt, for multiple reasons, I hope the Texans are burning up the phone line to try and usurp Tennessee. And/or Mariotta fails a drug test.

I want Rivers as much as I don't want the Titans to get Rivers.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If the Titans are really willing to move the #2 pick, there is nothing we can do to get in on that.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, short of offering up JJ Watt. And Rick Smith knows he'd be strung up in the middle of the city were he to trade away JJ.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if the Bucs take Mariotta that throws a wrench in the works, unless SD is happy with Winston

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think they'd be HAPPIER with Winston.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Has the Chargers brass been all up on Winston's jock lately?

Seems like they are pretty much Mariota or bust right now.

And yeah, if the Titans want Rivers, there's almost nothing we can do to stop that from happening.

14. Hey Now!

SD has very publicly been courting Mariota; as far as I know, they've done zero courting of Winston.

If the Titan deal is legit, my guess is that it'll be a post-draft announcement once SD confirms Mariota is available at 2.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This would all suck, but who would Rivers be throwing the ball to in memphis (or wherever the titans play) that would scare us?

And it would seem to screw the titans over in the long run, which would be good for us. They would have a great QB for the next 3 or 4 years instead of (possibly) the next 10.

16. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do we have enough to do a 3 way trade??? We trade:

2015 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 4th round pick, 5th round pick
    2016 1st round pick, 4th round pick

17. Hey Now!

Tennessee has a pretty good TE (Walker) and I'd wager Kendall Wright will look a lot better with Rivers, instead of Fitzy/Locker/Mettenberger throwing to him. The draft is deep at WR, right?

The Titans with Rivers are a legitimate threat to win 6-7+ games next year.

18. Hey Now!

You're suggesting sending six picks for Phillip Rivers?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/..._medium=share&utm_campaign=web-mob-art-vid-16

Sources indicate stronger and stronger with each passing day, the San Diego Chargers ultimately will make a deal with the Titans for the number two overall pick. As part of that trade, the Chargers will send the seventeenth overall pick and Phillip Rivers, just as a start, for the number two pick. Rivers would love to play out the rest of his career in Tennessee. In turn, the Chargers would take Marcus Mariota of the University of Oregon. The key part of this trade is, Rivers realizes the Chargers will not pay him on a long term deal. ... Rivers will turn 34 in December and Chargers are extraordinarily concerned about the condition of his body after all the injuries he has endured over the past 2 years. The Chargers are saying Mariota would be a good face of the franchise, particularly if the organization moves to LA. Rivers is highly attracted to Tennessee, which doesn't want to start over with a long building process and would like a veteran QB, particularly Ken Whisenhunt and his relationship with Rivers from their days together in San Diego.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

San Diego would be stupid for that.