1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anybody here think it's possible the Rockets don't make any major moves in free agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 4, 2018.

1. bmd

bmd Member

One thing I've noticed Morey doesn't do is panic and make a move just to make a move. He also doesn't see free agency the same as many people do. Many people see free agency as all or nothing for this next season. Morey seems to value free agency as just one aspect of team building, and seems to value building throughout the whole year more than other teams.

So does anybody here think it's possible that Morey will make smaller signings during this free agency and instead explore trades throughout the season (or even later in free agency) as things come up?

Because it seems to me the way Morey operates is he will only make a deal if it's a good deal. If there isn't a good deal to be had, he doesn't make one just to get something done. He'll wait. He'll wait until there is an opportunity, and he sets things up beforehand to be ready when that opportunity arises.

Jontro and D-rock like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not only is it possible, it's very likely.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd say it's impossible for them to make a major move at this point.

Jontro, D-rock, Bengchu and 3 others like this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's looking like they don't intend to spend money, they plan to shed it (ryno) and reduce the lux tax. with GS getting even fatter and silver's refs always on call, i actually don't blame the owner for going that route. i do take offense to turd brown and his sock puppet feigen still trying to blow sunshine up the fans' asses though.

Invisible Fan, B-Bob and J.R. like this.
  5. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Yes, from the presser when he said he had moveds to make but people wouldn't have thought about the assets we got only the outgoing player. Seems like he has no issue weathering the fan storm so the right move is made

Dgn1 likes this.
  6. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Dammit, J.R. I was going to post the exact same thing.

cml750 and J.R. like this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You got JR'd.

Easy, Relativist, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  8. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

They have nothing to use to make a major move in FA.

9. LUK3

LUK3 Member

To be quite honest, I’d focus on keeping Capela. If we lose Capela, our free agency grade would tank.

Unless, Morey has some backup center as athetlic as CC.

As much as I love Nenê, he just can’t physically play anymore. Shame.

da_juice likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I remember the "kicking the can down the road" days. We may field a very competitive team this season, top 3 in West, but the GSW are just too good. Why go all in this year when there isn't a move to push us over the top? I agree with your assessment and prepared for the Rockets to re sign Capela and possibly kick the can toward the 2019 season.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Dgn1 and justtxyank like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I need us to bring back Clint on a long-term deal. i need us to use our MLE (i'm fine if some or all must go to Luc). And i need us to make a trade to improve the team (i don't care whether it involves Anderson or not). If these things don't happen, i will be disappointed.

1) CP3
    2) MVP
    3) Eric Gordon
    4) PJ Tucker
    5) (Capela)
    6) (Luc)

This is the core and if it stays intact, we'll be okay. But to beat the warriors, we've got to keep improving the roster.

LUK3, mockster, Why not? and 2 others like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You could make a case the Rockets sign Moute to the Vet Min + 120% raise. And sign another Vet Min SF. And then SAVE the TaxPayer MLE for the February buyout market.

And explore trades in the interim.

So yeah, that MLE could be saved.

D-rock, Dgn1 and Ryan_Success like this.
  14. Coach E

Coach E Member

I think we’re stuck for 2 seasons, 1.5 at the least

15. Nook

Nook Member

Why is this surprising to people? This should have been known and accepted before free agency even began.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe one more year of chemistry together and working on a less predictable offense during the off-season will do more than adding a star level player.

I'm just trying to find a positive here.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm starting to think the same thing. Unless there is a tremendous value on the board, the Rockets may just save the MLE. The buyout market could be good -- in fact, I'd say really good. Look at all these one-year deals being handed out.

Just a handful of possibilities off the top of my head -- Carmelo Anthony, Wes Matthews, Iman Shumpert, Trevor Ariza, DeMarre Carroll, Robin Lopez, Tyson Chandler and Zach Randolph. I'm sure there are more.

Tfor3, D-rock, hibbetts and 5 others like this.
  18. mockster

mockster Member

Um hello??, we already got our guy

heypartner, Jontro and Coco Afable like this.
  19. LUK3

LUK3 Member

HA! Good one.

mockster likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is only surprising in that Morey gave the impression they would be in the hunt for key FAs to add to the team.