1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want the Texans to reclaim the Oilers name and history?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by celebrevida, Mar 21, 2017.

?

Do you want the Texans to reclaim the Oilers name and history?

1. Wholeheartedly Support

61 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. Marginally Support

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Indifferent

10 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Marginally Oppose

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Wholeheartedly Oppose

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Many teams in pro sports have moved. However many years later, a pro team comes back to that city and reclaims the history and name of the former lost team. Cleveland made this deal after losing their team for Baltimore. They would get an expansion team that would take over the name and history of the Browns. In the NHL, Winnipeg lost the Jets when they moved to Phoenix, then reclaimed that name when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg.

The most relevant example to the Texans though would be the Charlotte Bobcats.

When the team was moved from Charlotte to New Orleans, they originally kept the name and history. Later on, they decided to go with "Pelicans" and gave the name and history back to Charlotte and Charlotte enthusiastically reclaim it.

When Oilers moved to Tennessee and was renamed Titans, the owner still kept the Oiler name and history. But if a deal (similar to the Pelicans deal) could be made to get back or buy back the Oiler name and history and rename Texans back to Oilers, would you support it? Or has too much time passed and the Oilers name not have the value to Houston NFL fans that Hornets had to the Charlotte NBA fans?

Personally I have always hated the "Texans" name and would love the "Oilers" to come back!

#1 celebrevida, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Ramo$e and Chamillionaire like this.
  2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

The Texans don't have an identity crisis like the Bobcats did. There's plenty of Texans merchandise selling and a huge part of the fanbase do not give a flying f*** about the Oilers brand. Let the Tacks keep it with Bud's wrinkled corpse.

Yaosthirdleg and Creepy Crawl like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be nice to get the history back, if only because Tennessee doesn't deserve it, but the name is dead and it should stay that way. I know nostalgia is what it is, but the Oilers were losers and I certainly wouldn't want the Texans to take on that name.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

There isn't any comparable example to the Texans getting the Oilers name. Cleveland's deal was made so the city should drop their lawsuit. The Coyotes were bankrupt so there wasn't much of a fight for the Jets not to get the name back.
    The Hornets were purchased by a New Orleans based owner who had no connection to the team back in Charlotte. It didn't mean anything to Benson.

The family of the original Oilers Owner still own the team and there is no reason for them to give up the history. It would be a slap to their father's legacy. I'm not defending Bob. I'm just saying that the family wouldn't give it away. Best case scenario is that new ownership hits the Titans and Texans. That's the only way that could happen.

The Texans changing their name to Oilers isn't going to make them lose. What matters is the connection that the city has to the team. It doesn't matter if you change the name and colors. You just have to look at the long term benefits of having to rebuild your brand nationally and how that would compare to continue to monetize the "Texans" name and colors. I think it's certainly possible fans would feel a stronger connection with the Oilers until the Texans can win a championship.

Ramo$e likes this.
  5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes because the Texans are winners.

7. Poloshirtbandit

At this point I've been a Texans fan longer than I've been an Oilers fan so I'm mostly indifferent (I got into football in the late 80s). Would be nice to have the team history back through. Names like Moon, Campbell, Givens or Jefferies pribably mean nothing to Nashville.

Uprising likes this.
  8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

My biggest problem is that "Texans" is the worst name of a team in all of sports

mario_v likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

We've had this thread many times. My answer is still no. They left. F*** em. Earl and Warren and the Run-n-Shoot are Houston sports icons, regardless of where the franchise might be today.

I am and always will be a fan of the teams with "Houston" in their name. You can't take their history away. What happened here stays here, regardless of where the record book might be currently stored.

msn, joeson332 and Creepy Crawl like this.
  10. pocketrocket81

I just dislike the Texans because it was used in Dallas first before they moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs. Maybe it is just me but I don't want anything that was associated with Dallas first...and that includes Tony Romo too

11. PotStu

PotStu Member

Cities should keep history even if franchises move multiple times.....and color schemes for that matter.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They've never done anything in franchise history as embarrassing as January 3, 1993.

Also, the Oilers only won their division twice during the NFL years but came in dead last place 10 times....face it, it's the name of a loser franchise. I'm not saying the Texans taking that name would make them lose, just that it's not a name with a very proud history even if it had some very good individual aspects of the team over the years. In the end they are still essentially the greatest chokers in NFL history.

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  13. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

No. They left the city, and pretty much said f you. To me it would be like a girl breaking up with you, and you only wanting to date girls that have the same name. That's not the greatest analogy, but that's the best I can come up with right now, LOL. I loved the Oilers back in the day, but now the Texans are my team.

14. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

No! And quit asking me that question.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

if at the beginning you keep the name. Now we are the Texans, but you keep the history. Campbell, Moon, Mathews, etc never played for Tennessee.

16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Yes! Absolutely love the oilers brand, colors the whole 9. I was so devastated when they moved as a kid that I had to go to the dark side---the cowboys.. shoot 7 years with no team an my pops was my rival becuz he liked the cowboys...the dam oilers cursed me... or should i say the titans...:mad:

The Texans franchise should've been established much sooner... still makes me mad to this day

Ramo$e likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is like comparing your first and second, current wife, right? No good will come from this ;)

Ramo$e likes this.
  18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I want the baby blue uniforms back and I want Houston to walk onto the center of the 49ers field and wave a flag with a big oil derrick right in front of those stupid hippie's faces.

Can you just imagine the whining and hate that would come in this day and age from showing pride in the oil industry? I want that so bad.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dan Pastorini is not walkin thru that door and Bums not kickin it down!

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This times 1M.