1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Morey should be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Should Morey be fired

1. Yes

364 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No

821 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yes. The vote is closing ranks now that Morey fans have realized he is finally in trouble. However the first shot across his bow has been fired finally. At one point he was being voted to be fired by a huge majority. That will only lengthen without any positive direction very soon. So. Get your master plan started if you are watching Clutchfans Morey.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think it matters, so I didn't vote at all.

But as Batman said, the one guy who has the authority to make this decision is running out of people to blame.

3. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Nah. Morey has not made too many mistakes. I am very satisfied with what he has done with the cards that he has been dealt with (except for drafting annoying undersized power forwards and not at all trading for a center in two consecutive seasons). I don't think we would have complained if Stern had not vetoed the Gasol trade, Mcgrady had not whined like an idiot and ditched the entire franchise (Yao, Tmac and Ron that year, don't forget!) or Les had allowed us to tank. So major blame falls on the owner. We need to keep Morey for sure.

4. Raven

Raven Member

That's why I call them Les-More.

;)

5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

No, no, No!!! It isn't his fault that can't miss free-agents are going to super teams and want to play in higher profile cities. It isn't his fault that D.Stern became a slaveowner. It isn't his fault that we have no players that improved to superstar status, or kiss up to refs. It isn't his fault that we have no clutch players. It is Rockets fault that they decide to focus on PPat and unfocus on Martin, as important they decide to play small when other teams are better playing small ball. During the losing streak, we have a pretty good 3 point shooter and the highest pct. FT shooter rotting on the bench. I blame coaches, players and refs for the current state of affairs. Timing isn't on our side, we win at inopportune times and lose opportune games. That 4 game road trip that we won, I trade those for the last 4 games we lost and we would be in better predicament. Eventually, we'll get back to contender status, but at this stage it isn't looking good and Morey isn't the one not looking good.

6. KenRed

KenRed Member

Morey should honestly get a medal for dealing with Les Alexanders ultimatum to keep Yao. He had no choice in moving him or Tmac for Jersey sales and marketing sake. Les though people would come to games if they stayed a playoff team. The empty seats showed that he should have just let Morey do his rebuilding thing anyways. I blame Les Alexander. However Morey could do a bit better at letting Les know what he needs to improve this team.

7. MadMax

Here's the deal...I don't think it ultimately matters given ownership...but Morey is absolutely responsible for 2 of the 3 you just mentioned (coaches and players). The product that is on the court, including the coach, are entirely on Morey after 5 seasons here. That's the job of general manager.

8. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

If we had any other GM in the league our team would be soooooooooo much worse than it is now. You cant lose two franchise players and expect to be contenders in 2 years. It is certainly NOT Morey's fault.

9. comehere2

comehere2 Member

yes. shouldn't be any doubt.

10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

And they both have been very underwhelming...

11. albuster

albuster Member

Jim Stack from the Bulls dynasty? He was really the "genius" behind their former GM Jerry Krause. I wonder if he is available.

12. albuster

albuster Member

And Krause got fired.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nah, he has done better than most, but the one spot that may kill him is his hiring of McHale, that is his hand picked guy, and imo is doingva piss poor job, right Kyle?

DD

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

This topic has been beaten to death, and of course after the extremely frustrating losing streak at the end of the season votes are going to slant to the negative. It still goes back to the same things though:

1) Who are you going to replace him with, and why is that person going to do better rather than worse? I'm sure there are a hand full of GM's who could do as good a job or even perhaps better, but which one do you think would leave his championship contending team to come here? There are certainly many GMs out there who have done worse with better opportunities.

2) Why do you think Les is going to tank with a different GM, when if he wanted to tank he could do that with Morey without firing him? Les has said he doesn't want to tank, and it is unlikely that he would be looking to hire new GM's who's primary solution for fixing the problem would be tanking.

3) What superstar(s) do you think would be playing for the Rockets right now if we had a different GM? People love to blame Morey for not getting a superstar, but what superstar do you think a different GM would have playing for the Rockets right now, and how do you think they would have aquired him?

4) Would we be contending for a championship THIS season with a different GM, and if so, why?

I totally understand being frustrated with the Rockets, especially in light of the last week or so, but you still have to have a good explanation for why it is the GM's fault and how a different GM would be doing better, keeping in mind that even the best GM you can possibly name as a replacement is going to have moves that didn't work out as planned.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No, he most definitely shouldn't -- he is simply playing the game with the limitations he's been given. One of the real depressing things for me this season (and there were many) was gaining the knowledge that it wasn't a player, coach or GM that was keeping the Rockets from making the necessary changes, but rather an owner... and that we're stuck with.

16. MadMax

I was surprised to hear Matt J and Lance talking about what a great owner Les Alexander is this morning. What a skewed view, from my perspective.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

What was their reasoning for calling him "great"? My view is the team needs to rebuild to win... if one's view isn't that, then Les is certainly a good owner. He definitely wants to win, and you have to credit him for that ... but to me that desire is flying in the face of logic at the moment.

18. MadMax

Because he wanted to win...Lance went on to say that Les was probably the best owner this city ever had. That just baffles me given the state of the Rockets before he purchased, and what they've become.

19. Rockets Ball

Rockets Ball Member

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's got one more year on his contract, right?

Treat him like we treat our coaches. See what he can do until his contract is up, but don't extend it. Then, make a change after next season if we're still stuck.