1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Morey should be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Should Morey be fired

1. Yes

364 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No

821 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We should definately get rid of the best GM in the league.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This is all on Les. If he fires Morey I will be beyond infuriated with him. He's approaching Drayton territory of stubbornness, though the circumstances are different.

Morey has only had two offseasons that weren't building around Yao -- everything before that was finding players that complement Yao and he did a fine job with that. Two offseasons is not enough time, especially considering that he's had to try to put together a playoff competitive team while rebuilding.

3. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

It is a pity we can't fire the owner! But probably Morey and McHale will not last much longer. Actually, Mchale did a lot better than I expected him to do.

4. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

If we were to fire Morey, other teams would be climbing over each other to scoop him up. Then we would watch him do his thing elsewhere, regretting the move as our new GM spends a couple seasons pulling his head out of his ass. Then we'll be calling for him to be fired. A lot of you don't realize how good we have it.

5. Mariachi ROCKET

Fat piece of worthless flubber!!!! He always looks depressed and out of breath. He should of left with Yao.

6. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Ooh boy teams are gonna be lining up to get a guy who managed to constuct a roster that potentially missed the playoffs 3 years in a row. :rolleyes:

Results. This is a results oriented thing. What has he done significantly that has improved the now and the future of the team?

Rockets are stuck in No man's land...again

7. larsv8

:rolleyes:

The goal is to put a championship core together not make the playoffs. Its idiotic to hurt your chances to trade for Dwight to make short term moves to make the playoffs.

They are assembling pieces to make trades for big name players. Every piece he "traded" to New Orleans to get them to let go of Chris Paul was a piece he brought to the team.

We are a well run franchise, stop being an irrational angry mob who is out for blood.

8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Isn't 3 years enough of a sample size? What makes you think a superstar like Dwight would want to come here?

They have been assembling pieces for years now and the results haven't changed

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

9. httx713

httx713 Member

*** With Morey We ,,,,,,,,, Rust ***

Time for a new GM , If you can't get rid of the owner fire the next guy in line who hired a coach that gets out-coached in every 4th quarter and drafts good players but not great players.

10. larsv8

Maybe, if we didn't have a championship contending squad the two years before those three years.

Players have no say in trades.

Should probably see how they end up cashing those pieces in rather than setting some arbitrary yet ultimately meaningless benchmark to determine whether a GM should be kept.

"
    Very deep and insightful, yet isn't really relevant here.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's a shame that Marley has to work under Le$(-hit). He would be doing wonders with a team like the Knicks. At least some all star players still want to go there.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Absolutely.

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

3 perfect tanking years have been wasted.

Morey should just leave, Les is the one should be fired

14. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I voted yes, not because he deserved to be fired.

It is just that someone usually takes the blame and it's not the owner. They may even fire McHale but 1yr coach probably gets a second chance. Plus there was no pre-season at all for the coach so he gets a pass.

Playing Scola at center, however, should have Mchale fired.

But really, I think Les likes DM so he will get another chance.

But like I was saying before, they should invite Yao back for the lottery drawing and get lucking with not just the top 3 but #1 pick!

It's 10 years in the making....

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

now that wouldn't surprise me at all.

16. PASTORofMUPPETS

Wouldn't that be called "Letting the market determine the value of assets"? :p

17. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Yes, simple reason is he's talking about his so called philosophy for 3 years now and has nothing to show for it. The trade that wasn't for Gasol, is that really what you guys would've accepted or settled for? Is that the franchise player, the difference maker, the all-star we were hoping for?

The problem is that in Morey's eyes the answer is yes. He woul've been content with all the other primadonna's, no defense playing and overpayed players in Amare and Carmelo. 3 years of not making the playoffs and Gasol / Amare / Carmelo would imo not have been the answer.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Didn't he come dangerously close to quitting after the Stern veto?

I wouldn't blame him. He's been handed an impossible situation.

2 broken down superstars. A heavy handed commissioner. And stupidly stubborn owner.

MIT dudes aren't hurting for prospective employers, if I were him, I'd bail.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm shocked that the poll is this close.

Morey at the helm is one of the few, if not only, reasons I'm optimistic that someday we'll be good.
    Good luck finding a replacement of his caliber.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

We'll be worse off if he goes, I can say that for certain.

But I do think he's squarely in the hot seat:
    Les is the one that tied his hands and prevented a break up of the McGrady-Yao era from happening earlier. He's the one that has insisted there be no teardown.

But, Morey's job is to get things done. Pure and simple. It is his job to identify the right people and to sign them to value contracts. It's his job to swing trades.

While Morey's been well above average in signing guys to good contracts and bringing in unheralded talent...he's bombed badly in blockbuster moves. Prior to Morey, Les had Dawson at the helm. CD may have bended to Rudy T and JVG's whims a little too much, but you can say this for the man - he closed major deals. Drexler, Barkley, Pippen, Francis, McGrady...he was Captain Splash.

Maybe Morey never had an opening to make any of his trades happen - we certainly can't blame him for Gasol. But maybe, MAYBE...his moneyball approach has led him to stop short in negotiations. Like contracts, he sets his price and has shown that he won't cross it (Asik-Lee talks). Sometimes you do have to overpay to get the guy you want. Is it possible he's taken himself out of the bidding in some of these trades?

There's a guy in my fantasy league who's determined to make every trade he pulls lopsided in his favor. It's annoying, it's insulting, and I refuse to do anything with him at this point since it's like haggling with a used car salesman. Has Morey turned into that guy?

I honestly do not know, but I do feel that we've reached an impasse - 10 complimentary players, even if they are fantastic and at good value, are not taking a team to the Conference Finals. This is a league were role players are largely disposable, and Morey has shown that he is a true Wizard at bringing in good supporting cast members like turning on a faucet. Why not overpay for the big name impact player and refill the depth afterwards?

Ultimately, I love Morey. I think if he were unchained, we'd have rebooted and rebuilt the squad a year ago. But I can't give him a total pass: the McHale era is off to an uneven start, and he's 0-8 trying to land a franchise player. Not all his faults, but it's ultimately a bottom line business.

#80 emjohn, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012