1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Do we really want the no. 1 seed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I say yes, but the match-ups do give me pause. It surely looks like the brackets would shake out like this if the Rockets are the number one seed:

Rockets vs. Pelicans
    OKC vs. Spurs

Rockets vs OKC

GS vs Portland
    Minnesota vs Denver

GS vs Minnesota

We probably match-up worst against Pelicans, OKC, and Spurs than any of the other teams not named GS. If OKC gets hot and the Spurs get Kawhi back we will definitely have our work cut out.

AirBud#10 likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

From a "match up" perspective I would prefer the 2 seed, agreed.

However, history tells us that you can't get picky about match ups.

3. Red Nation RGV

I think we should def want the #1 seed. As of right now 4 games separate the 3-8 seed in the loss column. I could see OKC climbing to as high as the 3 spot

mathor and today like this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's too hard the predict the seedings at this point, so might as well aim for homecourt throughout the playoffs. ideally i want minny in our bracket and okc in whorrierrz bracket. maybe okc can take out gs for us like the nugz did the sonics

5. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

If you are worrying about matchups, then you don't deserve to be in the Finals. Don't be a p***y, go for the gold or go home.

6. Space City

Space City Member

It’s too early to worry about matchups and playoff seeding. There are still about 30 games left in the season and only 2 games separating the 5th and 8th seeds. In a week this could all look completely different. At this point, just keep winning.

Crashlanded19, da_juice, Y2JT and 4 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

it doesn't really matter . you win as many games as possible and the seeding comes along with it. once you get to the playoffs everyone starts fresh and if you're trying to avoid certain matchups which isn't something you control, you're really not the best team in the league

Andy Sheets and RyanB like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

The Pelicans are trash, the only team to avoid in the first round is Denver imo, once they get Millsap back and if they trade for Evans they might be pretty scary.

As for the second round well, every team will be hard to beat so...whatever.

LorneMalvo and Beardaholic13 like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, we want the 1 seed..It means we stayed healthy and are getting even better. ....likely with one or two additions too.

If we get the one seed, we're ready to roll to a title. Forget about match ups ...The Rockets transcend that.

#9 Plowman, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Good, I would love to win the finals by beating Pels/Blazers, OKC/Spurs, GS, and Bos/Cle/Tor in a championship run.

People often forget that your competition often determines the legitimacy of your achievements. Look at how the Warriors 2015-16 Championship run was treated. People just slapped on a giant asterisk mark (myself included) with all of the convenient injuries they encountered.

Richie_Rich and Jayzers_100 like this.
  11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dont have to worry about the pels w/o cousins. even with him, 5 games series at most. i like that team but they gota lotta work to do.

shouldnt have to worry about 1st round matchups when you're a top 3 team. i think 8th seed will be between blazers and pelicans

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i can't say for sure i fear denver. murray is really good but that team is young and milsap isn't likely to have the same success he's had against us in the past with tucker in his way. they do have some rocket killers on that team though, ie. barton

but we typically struggle against strong defensive teams w/ dominant bigs, so i feel like avoiding deandre/gobert more. i think the pels might actually fall out of the playoffs anyways

Vivi likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. once you win a championship nobody can't take that away. You only control who you play and beat infront of you.

Y2JT likes this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

i dunno, i kinda fancy the 6th seed.

15. seeingred

seeingred Member

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Some haters put an asterisk on that title run and sometimes it comes up on the internet, but the vast majority of people don't remember nor do they care about those injuries.

Y2JT and YOLO like this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I would get try my hardest to get the 1 seed.

The only thing that would be guaranteed, is HCA throughout. Seedings for all teams can change between now and when playoffs start. HCA would not, if you get the 1 seed.

Houstunna likes this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Uh, yeah. Who wouldn't want Game 7 on their home floor in every round, especially against the Warriors?

da_juice, AXG, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  19. bongman

bongman Member

To me, the most important part of being #1 seed is that you get the 2nd and 3rd seed battle it out before they get to play you in Western conf finals. Hopefully, whoever comes out of that match gave up too much energy to compete with us.

Crashlanded19 and da_juice like this.
  20. baubo

baubo Member

I want the Number 1 seed. But not at the cost of pushing our players to become more fatigued. Health is more important than anything since we have a veteran team.

That said, homecourt is a major advantage.

Jayzers_100 likes this.