1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we really want the no. 1 seed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

ClutchFans threads:

Feb. 3: Do you still want LeBron if ROX win it all this year?
    Feb. 7: Do we really want the no. 1 seed?
    Feb. 11: Margot Robbie and her twin sister: Would you say yes?

cerophilik, mathor, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This. If we can get the one seed of course we want the one seed. It's home court throughout the playoffs. We are competing for a championship. That's our goal this year, and it's a realistic goal. We need to be able to beat anyone/everyone. And it's still too early in the year to be confident OKC and NOP will be bottom seeds. By the end of the season it's highly likely that 1st seed will get us the most favorable match-up. But that's not what we need to worry about now. That's getting a little too cute. We need to win as many games as we can as preparation for the playoffs and we need the one seed if there's any way we can get it.

This happens every year. Someone asking if we should try to get a lower seed than the one we're at to get an easier matchup. That's just a matter of not being confident in our team. I don't want to win the chip because we got favorable matchups. I want to win it by getting the highest seed possible and beating any/all comers.

Along the same lines I want to play GSW. I do NOT want them knocked out early by the Thunder or some other team. I'm so sick of our two chips having MJ-didn't-play asterisks. I want to win by beating the very best teams.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

1 seed.

Don’t know how the seeding or matchups matchups will play out.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Easy answer : yes

The goal isnt to try to dodge 2nd round opponents or get cute with hoping who we play.

The goal is to secure homecourt in every round.

Hippieloser and Reeko like this.
  5. alethios

alethios Member

Rhetorical question is rhetorical. But like so many have stated, #1 is not worth the price of fatigued or injured players going into the playoffs.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

What does this mean? The Rockets have two championships because they didn't have to face the Sonics.

Swiss Roll and hakeem94 like this.
  7. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

If there were to be a game 7 against Golden State, it would be nice to have it at home. I don't think it matters in other scenarios.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This isn't the East where you can luck your way into WCF with a good matchup.

While it's not as evident, West seedings are still in flux, so there's no guaranteed the Thunder will be in the 2-seed playoff branch.

Having HCA will be crucial for the Warriors if we're lucky to get that far. We typically waste HCA in the playoffs but those years has always been us playing with a chip on our shoulder and pretending we deserve to be there.

Maybe just maybe this year we believe we should be there.

9. Purvis's shorts

the number one seed would be optimal. I worry more about not playing on the road for game 7 more than I would worry about any matchup

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Right on! I'm hoping the Western Conference Championship series opens with the Rockets in Houston for Game 1, playing against Golden State. I like our chances against anyone. We just need luck with the "i" word at the right time.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If we get the #9 seed, we avoid all those teams!! Plus don't have to play the best team from the East either!!

UNAGI

Hippieloser and hakeem94 like this.
  12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

we will have homecourt in the finals..
    Regardless......

13. cebu

cebu Member

I really don't see a difference between 1 and 2.

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

If you possibly want an easier trip to the WCF then get the #2 seed.

If you want to win a ring then get the #1 seed.

Simple math

#74 jayfree, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  15. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

And by "pretty scary" you mean they'd win once in a seven game series against us. :p

Reeko likes this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, let's say pretty scary compared to teams like NOLA, Portland, Clippers...:D

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

simple math?

you realize if you're the #1 seed, you're setup for the easier path to the play lower ranked teams along the way

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

Going by the OP's accessment of playing OKC as the #1 seed or not as the #2 seed. Either way, this topic is pretty stupid considering the #1 seed is a given on what a team should strive for. If you can't beat OKC or SA then how do you expect to beat the Warriors (on the road)?

19. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yes to all :)

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

thats why i posted that seeding isn't a big issue for me. you win as many games as you can and the seeding comes along with it. is hca good to have? of course but at the end of the day if you're a championship team you have to be able to win on the road regardless and shouldn't be thinking about who to avoid when thats not something you control