1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deadline Fallout] Buy-outs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by val_modus, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I think the risk is the hint that Sanders has had some bad workouts. One of the most recent workouts
    was with the Cavs. They said publicly that he impressed them with some things they felt he wouldn't
    be able to do. Now whispers are he looked less than good during that workout. Hard to believe everything
    one hears.

Sanders will just have to accept a vet minimum. After 3 weeks of working with Bzdelik/Roy Rogers/Lucas
    should be enough to get his *** in gear. Not too much practice in the regular season; but the final 3 weeks
    of the season could go a long way. Then 4-6 days (I believe) between the last game of season to 1st
    game of round one (practice time). If he plays well in the PO's he could earn a bigger contract
    from someone in the summer.

DonKnock likes this.
  2. mockster

mockster Member

It's not all black and white. Free agents come along, trades etc.

With harden on the team there isn't a closing window until he declines

3. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

D-rock and Jatman20 like this.
  5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I like Sanders willingness to go down to the minors. Ricky Williams played football in the Canadian
    football league during a suspension from the NFL. Tebow would not play in the CFL.

D-rock, Tha_Dude and DonKnock like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think biggest issue is his weight. But I like his gumption, has stated publicly that is willing to go down to D-League to get himself in game shape and prove himself. This is the kind of chip on shoulder attitude that should want on our team, especially for a back up with Sander's type potential.

Also need another wing who can score, as well as play sticky physical D. Gotta take chance on Lance Stephenson or Jamaal Franklin. Both Ariza and Dekker are struggling badly.

HTX Ninja and DonKnock like this.
  7. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I like his fight and I hope everything works out for him, but the Rockets need someone who can step in and have potential to immediately make an impact. Sanders doesn't appear to be that guy. Especially if he's on record for saying that he's willing to play in the D-League. Not exactly a vote of confidence there.

I have a feeling the Cavs would have picked him up already if they felt he was semi capable.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Calvin:
    • Center Andrew Bogut is a possibility but it's unclear what type of shape he's in, per the reports Houston has received. According to a source, the Rockets don't appear to have a serious interest in him.
    • Last week, Sacramento reached a buyout agreement with wing defender Matt Barnes, and there is little interest on the part of the Rockets. Those close to Harden say he would like to see Barnes on the team, which is a surprise in itself given the history between the two. Two years ago, Barnes made an obscene gesture toward Harden’s mother during the Western Conference semifinals. Barnes apologized and Harden has moved on from the incident.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Tha_Dude

LOL

I don't want any part of Barnes on this team. His personality and play style closely resemble a bent up trash can. He's like the dark side version of Brewer but in addition to sucking on the court he sucks off the court too.

Jayzers_100, D-rock and slothy420 like this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

I avoided the name Matt Barnes when he was bought out singularly because of the incident with Harden's mom but if James is cool with it, Barnes would be a good add, he's a defensive pest and from time to time can hit the open three. Plus we need a crazy person on our team, most championship teams have a crazy person; Cleveland has J.R, GSW has Draymond, Spurs have Kawaii (that guy is strange). Too many nice guys on the Rockets, I thought Trez had some edge after hearing about the hookers and drugs thing at Louisville but he's a nice guy too which is why I would be good with Bogut too even though he's an *******. Barnes and Bogut would be very solid additions to this team

#470 Fantasma Negro, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Let's add the arses, then. Hole-y behind it, are we?

Smacktle likes this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

Uh yeah I guess

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Possibly Cavs passed on him because of conditioning issues Tha_Dude. Like most contenders
    they are waiting for best possible available. Every contender could have signed Hollis Thompson;
    But every team was waiting for better to free up. It's the playoffs that we need to prepare for...imo.
    The bottom of the barrel scraps of Larry Sanders & Casspi could/may serve us (Rox) well as last options
    going into the playoffs.

The role for Larry would be basically simple. Run the floor at both ends, anticipate/get in position to block
    shots (equal or better than Capela.....better than Harrell), rebound, PnR. If the Rockets are down to scraps
    and Sanders is among the scraps.....beggars can't be choosers. Larry's years of service vet minimum is
    less than 2 million......and then prorated.

If you can find me better I'm all in. I sense Bogut will go to Cavs. Some chumps want to win easy. Those chumps will join the Cavs or Warriors if given an opportunity. Bogut would get starter mins, like he did with GSW if he joined the Rockets, while getting more money than Cavs can offer.

He doesn't seem to respect Houston.

#473 Jatman20, Feb 28, 2017
    D-rock, Tha_Dude and DonKnock like this.
  14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Who are the other defensive wings we're looking at? aside from Barnes..

15. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Not many wings out on the market right now... hoping some wings get bought out before March 1st. I'd like it if we signed some players to 10-day contracts right about now.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ANOTHER DNP for Tyson Chandler... MIRACLE. PLEASE HAPPEN. I can't watch this terrible rebounding anymore. We're just pretenders.

baller4life315 and HTX Ninja like this.
  17. basketballholic

Matt Barnes vs. Draymond would be very entertaining, if we got that far, which we won't unless we get a legit defensive big that can hold the defensive paint.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed 100%. If it weren't for his contract he would have been my #1 deadline target

P.S. Surprised there's no "Hey guys whaddya think..." talk about Derrick Rose possibly getting bought out.

19. Tha_Dude

I don't disagree with your assessment here. I just think that if the Rockets are looking to add someone they need to be looking at a player who they can bring in and immediately incorporate into the rotation to start giving them some burn time so they become acclimated and develop some chemistry with the current squad heading into the playoffs. I think signing someone just to send them down to the D-League or to leave them at the end of the bench is a waste of time at this juncture. Either Sanders is ready to play or he isn't. Casspi is hurt so he's a no go. I feel the same way about Bogut, too. If the Rockets do not feel like any of these dudes could step in and contribute immediately then they just shouldn't bother with it.

I think Bogut goes to the Cavs too. Not just for ring chasing but because of marketing perks that are guaranteed when you play next to Lebron James. The $3 million or whatever the Rockets have to offer is a drop in the bucket, imo.

Jatman20 and Mathloom like this.
  20. Fantasma Negro

Chandler is more of a player-coach

#480 Fantasma Negro, Feb 28, 2017