1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey and Houston's Big Freed Three

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by desi tmac91, Nov 5, 2012.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Lin isn't all that but he's making 8 million which is fair for his production. He needs to learn how to shoot like Lowry did and he may develop into a bargain. For now, I think we got good but not great value for Lin.

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Another thing that people needs to know is that Harden's max contract isn't the same type of max contracts guys like Kobe or KG gets. People keep talking about it like he's getting the same amount of money Kobe is. But he got paid the max amount of money he was suppose to get after his rookie contract. So its not the same like the contract Joe Johnson was getting.

3. ogh

ogh Member

Imagine what it will be like if Lin find his shots and Asik can dunk.

4. torocan

torocan Member

So you're going off the eye test? It can't be the stats, because Lin's first 3 starts CRUSH Lillard's first 3 starts... and by no small measure.

Look it up ... Utah, Washington and Lakers were his first 3 games.

Yet after Lin's 3 games saner (calmer) heads argued sample size, scouting reports, wait until he plays against stronger defenses, etc. AND Lin came in MID season, LONG after many teams had worked out many kinks WITHOUT a training camp in a Compressed season...

People love to discount Lin's first 5 or 7 starts, yet those 5 and 7 starts were record breakers across the board. Yet we should afford Lillard those luxuries?

I'm really curious... on what do you base your assumptions that Lillard will be fantastic as a player? Or is it just a gut/feel?

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But roxxy's point is, based on what do you make that judgment. THREE NBA games? Why isn't Lin's Linsanity enough to make people think he's a special talent?

I am not disagreeing with your judgment. Just the logic of "proven" and "unproven" is very skewed.

IMO, while the article has great points, one thing it did not address is the athleticism factor. If a guy has great athleticism, he always gets a lot more slack when it comes to talent evaluation compared to a guy who is relatively not athletic (by NBA standard). Yet, intelligence and work ethic are so often not that much of a factor.

I suspect that people subconsciously believe that you can't teach athleticism but somehow intelligence and work ethic are fixable.

6. nono

nono Member

Lowry is an all star. Lillard is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Brandon Jennings averaging 13 assists a game. These three will obviously maintain their averages for three games over the next 79. Guaranteed.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don't have stats to back it up because Llilard has only played 3 games. I'm not gonna use stats over 3 games to prove anything because that would be absurd. For now, it's just my opinion until we get through this season and i can prove what i see. But one thing is clear: Lin can't shoot. And a starting point guard that can't shoot really limits a team.

8. King Boo

King Boo Member

Were you living under a rock during Linsanity? Or are you just a Houstonian with a huge inferiority complex about NYC?

9. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

The bottom line is that people struggle with those who don't "look" the part. Looking the part means having a fancy background, making certain athletic plays, and frankly looking a certain way. Harden, Lin, and Asik all are team players who make plays to benefit the team, and don't showboat unnecessarily. Tack on a lack of a fancy background and an appearance that is different, and people get fooled and can't believe what they are seeing. In Lin's case, he even tested at an extraordinary level in speed and agility tests in the combines/workouts (one report said he was the highest ever tested), posted off-the charts defensive numbers in blocks and steals in only a short period at GS, etc., and yet people to this day still call him unathletic. You might think "experts" can overcome this, but sometimes they are even more susceptible because of their "experience." Those who can rise above the biases and view things accurately will ultimately win in the end. Seems like the winner in this case is none other than Morey.

10. King Boo

King Boo Member

So far 28 percent of Lin's possessions are resulting in assists, while just 12.8 percent are resulting in turnovers. Those are stellar numbers for a point guard. Considering he's still coming back from surgery and has had little practice with Harden and the rest of the team, I'd say that's pretty darn good.

Backcourt looks amazing to me and is only going to get better. Why can't people just be happy with that? :confused:

11. nono

nono Member

He has been shooting decently but finishing poorly at the rim I think. Anyways, I don't really buy the Lillard hype. He will be figured out soon enough. His height is listed as 6'3 but surely he is smaller than that? Being small he also has a low relase. Most of his assists come from just handing Aldridge the ball in the post, and Aldridge is always money from that range, as we saw. I might be wrong, but he would not have really impacted the game that much had Lin stayed on him and not come over for the help defense because he has a lot of difficulty getting a shot off against a taller player it seems.

I just don't like undersized players. If you're Chris Paul, then you'd get by. Any less of a talent and you're going to really struggle. We'll see though. You've been watching basketball longer than I have. I wish Lillard the best. That Portland franchise has had terrible luck with injuries and it would be great for them if Lillard turns out nice.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Bwahaha no I am not upset at all. LOL. Don't mind me I get a little crazy over certain things. Don't get me started on Rondo vs Nash or Kyrie Irving being better than Tony Parker :p. It was nice of you to say sorry for upsetting me.

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. I disagree with being able to shoot being a big skill in the NBA for PG's. Look at Parker in his first year in the NBA couldn't shoot & he turned out okay.

Anyway I will take your bet. At the end of the season we shall compare both players and see how they match up. I guess I shall be on Lin's side and you shall be on Dame's side lol.

By the way I am hoping that both are extremely successful I don't root for players to be less than highly successful (not saying you do or anybody does) even my most hated player Vince Carter. I want all the young guys to succeed so here is to hoping that Dame has a healthy and successful rookie campaign.

Later.

13. Aruba77

i am happy with that. i like Lin. i like our backcourt. I like his court vision. I'm excited. All i said was that i think Llilard is a better prospect, and that Lin needs to improve his shooting.

1 person likes this.
  14. King Boo

King Boo Member

Great post. The double standard is infuriating, especially coming from supposed Rockets fans.

Lin's the real deal and an objective appraisal of his play and stats backs it up. The scrutiny and disrespect Lin's gotten seems unprecedented to me. (Players talking **** publicly about his contract, ESPN talking heads and NY media trolling him, his own team's "fans" being obtuse about him.) Remember, this guy has done nothing except work hard and play well, and is the humblest guy you could meet.

Did Gilbert Arenas go through anything like this crap? Hard not to think this isn't due to his race, if people were honest with themselves.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Please don't make this a fight yall. Aruba and I were just having a simple conversation. That is it. Aruba has her own opinion which she is more than entitled too. There is nothing wrong with that. (BTW I am assuming your a girl because your name is Aruba I apologize if I am mistaken)

1 person likes this.
  16. Aruba77

i'm a dude ...but thanks for that because i laughed my ass off and it made my day. best to you :)

and i'm not backing up my argument with facts so i deserve to lose the debate. :)

17. seyton

seyton Member

Using the eye test, and watching them play each other directly, I agree with the other guy, I would rather have Lillard.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

No worries. People would have ganged up on you I could imagine the impending explosion. Ha. Was trying to mitigate that as much as possible. No you don't lose the debate every body is entitled to there own opinion. And remember what I said Tony Parker PG who shoot's 31% for his career turned out ok.

Later bro.

19. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Lots of scouts would agree with you; Lin got passed up by everyone, many twice or three times. Lillard has a cool and calm style, is incredibly on balance, has a nice shooting stroke, and definitely looks the part, actually looks a little bit like Chris Paul from a distance if you ask me. Lin doesn't always look smooth but is incredibly effective.

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL Every scout would agree. Because most scouts feel stupid that Lin made them look like a fool. Think about it, how many players who were cut multiple times, undrafted put up a string up performances like Lin did. Even last year after Lin's like 20th start scouts were still saying he was a D-League player or nothing special. The vast majority of people who felt that Lin could actually play were commentators & people who relied on analytics. I know one Memphis Grizzlies beat writer was quite high on him. Anyway everyone is more than entitled to there opinion. But I guess I just won't ever really understand how a 3 game sample size is the real deal & 30 is not. Really hard to wrap my head around.

And to Damian's credit the same people that were saying Lin was the real deal (Kobe, Nash) are the same people who are singing Dames credit. For a lot of these NBA guys they can sense who has it & who doesn't immediately so I would take there opinion over mines any day that is for sure. Lol.