1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

For those saying the Rockets should use the MLE on House, it ain't happening. That money has to be preserved for buyout candidates this season and Austin Rivers next summer. Clearly Morey and Tilman will try to hang onto Rivers and they'll need those dollars to compete with offers he'll get elsewhere.

And I feel this needs to be reemphasized, but please look at the list of 2019 free agents because I don't think people(including House and his agent) realize how many players are gonna be looking for new contracts come July. Hell, that includes one of House's own teammates, James Ennis III. It includes the guy Ennis started ahead of(Melo) and both guys he replaced from last season(Ariza, Luc).

House is like a Tier 4 player out of the 2019 crop. First, teams will chase after the superstars(Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie, Davis, Klay). Then they'll go after the really good/borderline All-Star caliber guys(Morris, DeAndre, Barnes, Rozier, Rondo). After that are the solid, proven vets(Stephenson, Bev, Chandler, Looney, McGee, Gay). Then finally we come to the leftovers which is where he'll find himself.

I'm not sure what House and his agent are expecting. A Kyle Anderson type of deal? That ain't happening. Teams simply aren't gonna risk a lot of money on a journeyman who found success playing alongside the MVP and a coach who's known for a system that enables players to put up big numbers that they would never reproduce elsewhere.

Realistically, House needs to step back and accept that his most likely road is that of another guy who used to play the same position for the Rockets, Robert Covington. He came into the NBA undrafted, bounced around the league, found a home in Philly, played for peanuts while steadily improving his numbers over several years, and then finally cashed in on a 4-year-$47 million deal in his late 20's.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He doesn't have a choice in the one year deal, if we want him for the rest of the season we can have him. There's no way we "offered" him a one year deal.

This is all about leverage beyond this season. If he plays anywhere near this level he is likely gone, or best case we have to use all of our MLE next season to keep him.

3. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Some scenarios I need clarification on..
    If house ends up playing out the year in the g league, will we have any rights to resign him?
    If we end up giving him a contract for the remainder of the season, will be have any rights to resign?
    Basically how can we keep house even if he doesn’t play another game with us this year?

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

this is the way Cp3 should've been approached.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Probably irratation
    I think we still a GUY maybe Two away from a championship
    Even WITH House

Rocket River

Corrosion likes this.
  6. count_dough-ku

The Rockets can convert House to a deal for the remainder of the season anytime they want. They could literally do that today. The alternative is for House to agree to a multiyear deal with the team(which they've offered and he and his agent have rejected).

If House continues to hold out, then the Rockets can either convert him or wait until March 24 and call him back up from the G-League. But the catch there is he'd be ineligible for the playoff roster unless the team converts his deal.

So basically it'll play out one of two ways. The Rockets convert him or House agrees to a multiyear deal. If the former happens, House would be a restricted free agent this summer. But the Rockets would not have his Bird rights, meaning they can only give him 120% of what he's currently making. Which is around 2 mil a season based on the numbers I've seen.

Which is why people need to chill about the whole "Tilman is cheap" narrative. He and Morey WANT House here. But they know the only way to ensure keeping him beyond this season is to get him to sign the multiyear deal. Sure the team could theoretically hang onto him if they convert his deal and resign him this summer, but that would only happen if he doesn't get offered more than 2 mil a year from someone else.

7. amaru

amaru Member

This argument sounds good but all House needs is one bad team to throw money at him. I think he'll get it.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't leave out the part where you have to use MLE money to do that ….which means you don't have it to use otherwise.

And that's the worst case for the team …. why not just use all or part of the MLE to keep him NOW leaving next years MLE free,

BamBam and joshuaao like this.
  9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

J-Nun time!

mikol13 likes this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

Stop making sense. Narratives are easier to follow! I don't want to analyze the facts and think critically!!! :mad::mad::mad:

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

lol jesus

holding onto MLE money because the player you need isn't right here?

for ****s sake.

heypartner likes this.
  12. count_dough-ku

Think about it from the Rockets' perspective. What if House winds up caving? They get him on a multiyear deal and they preserve the MLE which gives them more dollars to go after other players and retain Austin Rivers. It's not like Tilman and Morey are refusing to spend that money. It's that they don't wanna blow a chunk of it on House. They believe they have a shot at keeping him AND having the full MLE to use elsewhere. And when you're capped out the way this team is, that kind of flexibility is crucial.

jcmoon and steddinotayto like this.
  13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I don’t even care about next year I just want him on the roster for next week

joshuaao and heypartner like this.
  14. count_dough-ku

That's the part that sucks. I totally get what the Rockets are doing. But I hate that it could potentially cost the team a few games in the short term.

joshuaao likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Worries about spending money but they are wasting TIME.

I'll take Harden, a couple journeymen and a slew of 6'6" young bucks like House and Clark anyday. If this is what we have to look forward to over every decision until CP3 leaves, I'm going to be a very, VERY sarcastic camper by the end of it.

Supamanu, ramotadab and Corrosion like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know what he and his agent expect. However he can likely get a deal for 2-3 million a season (chump change) and that would almost double the Rockets offer.

We tend to think “What is a million or two million dollars” when looking at sports contracts. However in the case of House, that extra million or two million makes a huge difference as it increases his career earnings by 25-40%. House hasn’t made tens of millions of dollars in his career.

Supamanu, joshuaao, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I really don’t even think they should try and lock him up long term anyway... I mean let him hit RFA and if someone wants to overpay let them. He’s gonna be disappointed when he hits the market and realizes there’s no money out there for him.

jcmoon likes this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

We, as fans, have to keep in mind that he may be supporting multiple households. It isn't uncommon based on some of the stories I've heard from my extended family.

19. count_dough-ku

He absolutely could get 2-3 mil a season. He could also wind up having to settle for a one year minimum deal like Ennis did this season and Luc did last season. He could also find himself not only making a minimum salary, but not starting on whatever team he signs with.

There are many ways this could go badly for House.

20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I don't understand how signing House with part of the MLE affect the Rockets' chances of signing Rivers next summer. Do MLE not 'reset' after every season? Or are you saying that it's because of luxury tax bill implications?

joshuaao and cbass like this.