1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

At some point, people have to decide whether the games he's played for us are meaningless or not.

If anyone can do it, Ennis wouldn't be on the bench.

icewill36 likes this.
  2. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Raymond Brothers? Is that you?

BigShasta and robbie380 like this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

House will be graded by the Harden curve in free agency. GM’s will look at the rest of his NBA track record and see his half season with the Rockets as the outlier and see the crazy streak Harden was on. He’s not going to be on anyone’s list for starter roster spot and will be viewed as a one year gamble type of player.

He’s more James Ennis in free agency than Jeremy Lin post NYK Linsanity. His agent was stupid to not counsel using this guaranteed offer to build a two to three year resume with a locked up starter role to prove and improve.

Hope there is some Avenue for Morey to figure out a deal to bring him back in on a new contract but looks like it’s on to the next one. Gary Clark has to sieze on this opp and hopefully Morey strikes gold again on the GLeague trash heap.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Final off topic post, sorry peeps. Nick likes to swim in technicalities.

Everything is a game. Jeff Bezos is playing a game too. Facebook is a game. Going to work and following some corporate structure is a game everyone agrees to as well. This is not a reasonable position to base an argument on.

Again, I'm not talking about the 1910 definition of slavery. That's not what slavery means anymore. You can force someone to sign a contract without using physical force, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not slavery. I understand you're justifying that it's not slavery based on archaic examples. I'm not talking about hard labor physical force slavery of history books.

There was a type of slavery before what you're referring to as well. Should we sit here and act like slaves in West Africa are not slaves because they don't literally have heavy metallic balls chained to their ankles? It updates. Important to learn.

If it makes you feel better: House is not being whipped and chained and kept in a basement.

I'm the silly one huh. lol

6. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

We don't have money, can we use melo again

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

This proves that Morey is done as a good GM. He's mediocre now.

8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Just give him a two year deal already, early-bird rights will be enough for us to re-sign him in 2020 if we want. People are right, we have enough of our MLE left to give him more than the minimum AND to bring in a buyout guy if we need.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I thought i've read we also offered a one year deal cause we would still have him restricted net summer but i guess i remember bad :/

EDIT: here's what i remembered

#389 Vivi, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Mathloom likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nobody is forcing House to sign a contract??? Are you kidding man? The definition of slavery is and has been the same - forced bondage or labor with or without pay. That's the definition of slavery I understand, it's not a hard definition as there are many different types of slavery but I do not subscribe to whatever the hell your trying to stretch the term into in this case of House being a slave if he chose to sign a 4.1 million dollar contract with the Rockets.

Jeff Bezos is running multiple companies, NBA players are playing the sport of basketball. We have a game today, the Rockets have a game today, they are called games, basketball is a.... game. This is why I used the term game.

And YES, I think you're being very silly. If you want, please do start a thread in the D&D to continue this conversation, I don't understand where you are trying to come from but I am fascinated by it.

jboslett and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. foggy94

foggy94 Member

That doesn't really make sense and isnt what others have reported. If we offered him a contract till the end of the season he would accept it, he wants to be a RFA this summer.

heypartner and ThatBoyNick like this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah i agree, was just reposting for @Mathloom since i thought i saw that kind of offer brought up by someone.

Mathloom likes this.
  13. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

If we want champion this year, we can think about to sign 1 year contract

14. HP3

HP3 Member

They run the check up but they never give you leverage lol.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Thing is , House can be an Unrestricted Free Agent …. and is likely to get a significant payday as such.

He's shooting .390 from 3 …. there are only 39 players in the league shooting .390 or better. There are only 18 Forwards (PF/SF) shooting .390 or better.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player-stat/three-point-field-goal-percentage

Look at what they earn -

Joe Harris - Brooklyn - $8.33m
    Davis Bertrans - SA - $7m
    D Gallinari - LaC - $21.5m
    B Bogdanovic - Indy - $10.5m
    M Morris - Boston - 5.375m
    T. Harris - LaC - $14.8m
    M Leonard - Port - $10.595m
    TJ Warren Phx - $11.75m
    N Bjelica - Sac - $6.5m
    L Cornet - NYK - 1.6m
    R Gay - SA - $10m
    H Barnes - Dal - $24.1m
    N Vonleh - NYK - 1.5m
    D McDermott Indy - $7.333m
    N Batum - Chr - $24m
    J Hernangomez - Den - $2.16m
    R O'neal - Uth - $1.37m
    A Tolliver - Min - $4.75m
    O Porter - Was - $26m
    J Butler - Phi - $20m
    D Miller - No - $2.25m

The guys making chump change have never hit open free agency …. those that have , have gotten paid. And that's what this is about - hitting free agency. He may not draw a full MLE from a non-tax paying team but he's going to get more than the minimum in free agency.

Quick , someone name ONE buyout candidate that is going to have a bigger impact than House - this year and beyond.

Now realize that if we go into next season and he's a free agent , we have to use MLE money to retain him should Morey simply convert his contract.

Ideally you'd get him to sign a 3 year deal where you have Bird Rights at the conclusion of the contract.

What this boils down to is if you pay the tax this year to retain him or use next years MLE to do it … in one option you pay the tax now and have next years MLE to use on another player , in the other you don't pay the tax and don't have that (full) MLE to use next season.

Even if they gave him what's left of their MLE ($3.9m) for 3 or 4 years , that's a hell of a team friendly contract for a starting caliber player. One of the best value contracts in the league ….

#395 Corrosion, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  16. LUK3

LUK3 Member

Do you ever feel cursed?

17. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

House and tilgirl two cheap ****s deserve each other

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thing is, how many of those guys are playing with Harden? House is not some kind of rookie he has been playing since 2016 and has bounced around Rox already his 3rd professional team. If he was that good by himself why can't he stick on 2 rebuilding teams who could have used a young and athletic forward? Talking about how he will make more than the minimum nothing is guaranteed dude. Rivers is making vet min did he predict that when he became a free agent before?

Buyout candidate better than House? How about Rivers? We already have the buyout candidate better than him and he is making vet min. Jonas Jerebko, Jeff Green, Jeremy Lin all these guys are making vet min and they are all better than the average vet min player. Who is Danuel House compared to these guys? He plays well with da Beard and MDA system but in 2 other teams he was cut. You think these other teams will offer him 8M based on his "peers"? Lol

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess we will wait until after Buy Out Market
    THEN he will be signed.
    Any restrictions after the buyout?

Rocket River

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Rivers is already here …. we aren't saving our MLE to sign him. That was the point. Jerebko isn't going to shake loose , Lin and Green are guards.
    The weakest position on this team is the 3/4 … House position.

As far as what he's worth - forget about what someone else might offer , what's he worth to THIS TEAM. Its more than the veterans minimum , that's a fact. We're back to Clark & Ennis manning the position ….
    Is having the full MLE to use next year worth paying him now ? Or do you handcuff yourself going forward , unable to improve because you wouldn't bite the bullet now.

We're talking about Tilman forking over tax money , that's what's at issue here. That's the same thing that put them behind the 8 ball from the get go - Didn't want to pay Ariza , basically told him he wouldn't be back and tried to fill the void with veteran minimums. Now you found a guy who could be the solution at the position for at least 3-4 years , maybe longer and you don't want to pay the tax to do it.

What will your reaction be to not using the MLE at all ?!