1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Houston be Lebron's top preference in FA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Can Houston become Lebron's top preference in FA?

1. Yes

238 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. No

251 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Lebron's goal isn't just to make the finals though. He wants to win. Jason Kidd probably sees more glory in his one championship in Dallas than his back to back finals appearances in New Jersey.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lebron should come to houston and own even more of china.. get yao ming on the phone, stat!

3. TheresTheDagger

LOL. He's won 2 of the last 3 finals, and appeared in 4 straight. I think it would take a monumental miracle (like Wade retiring) for him to consider Houston.

Think of it. If Lebron jumped to the Rockets, what would everyone say about his legacy? Can't win the big one on his own...has to team up with other players just to win titles. Proof again that he has no loyalty.....etc etc.

If he leaves for ANYWHERE, it would be Cleveland, but I doubt that. I think he trusts Riley to get him the help he needs...besides, he can simply walk away next summer (or the one after that) if things aren't working out.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

If he leaves I think we have about as good a shot as anyone else

5. StevieCrossover

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He plays defense. Bad fit for this team.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Off season fantasy. Not excited about Melo

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

9. basketballholic

Wade doesn't have to lose any money. All they've got to do is have a wink-wink deal in place to give him his $41 million and then some over the following 2 seasons after he plays on a 1-year deal at the minimum.

10. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Exactly. So expecting LeBron to leave the East to come to Houston is a long-shot, at minimum.

Now that I think about it, Carmelo too might have gotten too comfy in the East and would rather go to Chicago then come over to us.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I do not see Wade or Bosh turning down their options. Lebron is leaving Miami unless they bring Carmelo in. So Lebron is gone.

If Lebron comes to Houston it will not taint his legacy. In this league you need that much firepower.

Howard
    James/Jones
    Parsons
    Harden/Daniels
    Bev/

Only needs backup pg, backup center and defensive wing.

12. BinBinRingRing

He is not coming to the west.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Against the cba, and very obvious what is happening so easy to sanction.

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

He may opt out, but I anticipate it will be to accommodate a $8-$10 MM/year type player on the Heat. After all the crap he went through leaving the Cavs, why would he put himself through it again? Houston would surely be a perfect fit for him on the court, but off I just don't think it makes sense for him.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Those are comments without context.

If you listened to the post game interview it didn't sound like lebron was going back to miami.

At best for Miami, he is unsure.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While the team is a good fit, the town is not. Lebron would be looking for more sparkle. Miami had South Beach. Houston has Galveston Beach.

17. Manos

Manos Member

If LBJ wanted to stay in the East, why not join the Bulls? They have a young solid team and Chicago is just around the corner from where he grew up. 'If' Rose comes back and is able to play without his knees snapping again, they'd have a great team and an easy path to the finals with the Heat dismantled.

Noah
    Gibson
    LBJ
    Butler
    Rose

Obviously I'd like to have him here, but I don't know how you sell him Houston over Chicago.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11090894/lebron-james-uncertain-road-ahead

Despite disappointing Finals loss, Heat may be LeBron's best option next year

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mi-heat-vs-san-antonio-spurs-finals/10560867/

#78 J.R., Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  19. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

because Danny Green and Leonard are old farts. Oh the big three have experience. Yeah, they were together the previous 5 year and didn't do squat until those two young guys came in.

My point is that Lebron and a couple of free agents can be the experience. Youth has its virtue in increase motor and speed. Again, see Leonard and Green in San Antonio. Granted, those guys play defense.

I still don't see him going to Cleveland but the youth is not the reason why.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So just because the Spurs won the title, and the Spurs big 3 have taken significantly less than what people perceive their value to have been when they hit free agency previously, that means all all-star players should take like-HALF less of what their current market value is?

What people are forgetting is that back 3 or 4 years ago, the Spurs "big 3" were not playing at the level that they are now. Especially Parker & Ginobili. Parker & Ginobili making 12 million a year was very much a fair market price for those two. Parker's game really didn't evaluate until Duncan & Ginobili's game declined a few years ago, and he took a huge step back in minutes.

The reason why Parker is apparently "taking less" right now is because RC Buford got lucky at the timing as to when he extended Parker during training camp of 2010. Had he went to free agency last Summer instead of then he'd be making 20 million instead of 12.

Before last season when Duncan decided to come back on a 3 year year, he was perceived around the league as being done or very close to it. There is no team in the league that would have given him another max contract due to his age. Duncan's contract is very much a market value contract.

If Lebron, Wade, and even Bosh under the circumstances currently in place in this market, hit free agency, would they get anything less than their max contracts???

-Lebron, No.... of course
    -Bosh, No or close to it (versatile bigs are in demand and GM's still remember the Toronto days)

-Wade.... ? ... I think he's in a similar situation that Duncan was in back in 2012 when the consensus around the league is that he's only got a year or two left. Still.... Wade is a pretty big brand name. I think a 4 year max deal is out of the question, but a 2 or 3 year max deal isn't... which is why I think fair market value is Wade staying on through the duration of his current contract for the next two seasons at the max. I DO NOT see him taking less.

What I do see is one of the two of Bosh or Lebron opting out to go elsewhere where they can extend at the Max NOW to get an extra couple of years at the guaranteed ceiling since those two guys have more than just 2 years left and need to get insurance on their earnings.

Nobody knows what Lebron is thinking now, but I bet if the big three meet up, and Bosh says he might go look for a 4 year max deal than it might change Lebron's mind into staying in Miami where they can refresh the roster around him & Wade.

If Bosh is persistent about staying in Miami for whatever reason (not sure why, he's underused in their system, and for financial reasons should try and take advantage and maximize his earning potential because he wont get max dollars in two years) than I could see Lebron than saying, ok... I'm going to entertain opting out than.

-I think the best move for the big 3 would be for Bosh to opt out, and get paid elsewhere.... heck.... he might even be able to have a bigger role on a potentially better team.