1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Corey Brewer has to go.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Oct 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hvic

hvic Member

last season was hopefully his rock bottom and just has to get better this year

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

He's dreadful.

But are you trying to tell me you don't crack a little smirk whenever you see him start trying to dribble the ball?

I see kids in the Under 8 developmental practices at the local basketball stadium who have better fundamentals relating to dribbling the ball than Brewer does.

#82 Downtown Sniper, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

we need to give him a chance this season. i think he will show up in big games.

4. Jimmy Chitwood

Is this thought based on ANY sort of logic or reasoning? Because I don't see how it could be.

5. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i think last season can be excused because it was a **** show all around.

however, the year before, against the mavs in game 1..brew hit 3 3's to seal the game. don't forget game 6 against the clippers, where he came up big as well...

to me, he does not crouch over in big games. hell even last year, the portland game after mchale was fired..he hit a big shot. he delivered when harden couldn't in the 4th quarter..

im willing to evaluate how he plays in the first 20 games of the season, then consider options for moving him...saying that he should be moved now is premature..let's wait and see how he does..

6. valorita

valorita Member

The bigger issue than Brewer being historically bad is that we don't have a legitimate replacement player to take his minutes. Both KJ and Dekker are unproven and arguably not much better.

For this I blame Morey

Find us a legit wing!

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In fairness to Morey, getting a star (Horford) and a "Legit Wing" was Plan A in free agency -- he made the earliest and biggest offer to Bazemore, simultaneously with his offer to Horford.

Please no one say Durant was Plan A or Rubio.

vstexas09 likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Corey Brewer is terrible, no one is going to take that albatross off of our hands, but a good coach would bury him at the end of the bench, better to roll with KJ or Dekker than with Brewer who we know sucks.

DD

Little Bit and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Corey! Brewer's! Got to go!
    Corey! Brewer's! Got to go!

Sing it with me:D

10. hvic

hvic Member

Its funny but Brewer actually has a youth basketball camp

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Brewer plays out of control and is a poor decision maker with the ball in his hands. He gambles far too often on the defensive end, is a poor shooter, and doesn't have any above league average skills outside of running full speed to the basket in a straight line.

And that's all I have to say about that.

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I can make that argument easily.

KJ is a better defender (and finisher at the rim) and Dekker is much more offensively gifted and appropriately sized for the NBA.

13. valorita

valorita Member

Kj is a better defender but still not a great one and just as limited on offense.
    Dekker is a rookie that is a tweener and barely better shooter.

Not saying that each have some traits that aren't better. But more so that Brewer's skills (other than "leaking out") are all bottom tier/non nba league worthy and that being D- vs F is not really a consolation and I can understand if coaches don't trust the other two options.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Five star explanation....

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Corey Brewer is really a transgender but has a great vagina. Maybe that's why the team is keeping him. They can't get enough of it.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

McDaniels is protecting the rim. He's made a block every game I've ever witnessed. He's not "great" because he doesn't get recognition, playing time. He might be just as wonky shooting the 3 but he's a much better finisher dunking the ball, cleaning up, rebounding and alley-oops. He also costs half as much lol....

Dekker is barely a better shooter, I'll give you that but he's MUCH more adept at handling, making decisions, making plays for others and again finishing at the rim. He may be a tweener but that's a real position these days. Small ball 4. Corey Brewer has to be the lightest 3 in the league. I'd be damned surprised if he outweighed me and he's a solid 8" taller.

I hate to be so matter of fact because these are just opinions but you're wrong my man. Corey Brewer is not a better player right now than either of those guys and is likely the reason they aren't getting more minutes to develop their already better skills into better game. He's gotta go!

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So I saw on the first page a few people asking what Corey Brewer's NBA value is-

What I will tell you is WHAT IS WAS. A few years back, really since his stint in Dallas, he carved out a few years where he was worth about 6 to 8 points a game of essentially what I would call "Free points" from taking advantage of a slower game, leaking out, or simply out-hustling his opponent down the floor.

I said at the time that Corey Brewer's value is that he is a track star posing as a basketball player... he's not a true basketball player in the traditional sense but an anomaly who can take advantage of flaw in the NBA game that teams weren't up to speed on yet (literally.) Its a total moneyball type of player. Like Billy Beane picking up Hatteburg to play 1st base when he's not a first baseman.

Fast forward to 2015 and the game has changed, and his team has changed. He's relied upon to do other things (defend in the half court, hit the corner 3, dribble penetrate) that are just asking too much of him. The game also continues to speed up in getting into half court offenses so there are less chances for Corey Brewer to do Corey Brewer things.

There are teams that could probably use a Corey Brewer to get them that 6 to 8 "Free Points" that they need, but not this team. This team doesn't have a scoring problem, it has a "Corey Brewer is being relied on to do traditional SF things" problem.

Its also a reason why I think Brewer is more tradeable than folks here think, and he can be moved to the right team. The Rockets were that right team for Brewer two years ago. It's just a matter of the right team being out there, and (more importantly) that team being smart enough to know that they need this.

18. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Let's give him a chance in dantonis system.
    Last year, the coaches didn't put the players in a position to succeed. With more defined roles, im sure he'll be decent.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I also want to piggy back on this and say that the Corey Brewer problem is almost a byproduct of (what I think is) a Trevor Ariza problem. Not that Ariza isn't valuable, but the fact is Ariza is best suited in the modern NBA to be a backup player... not a starter, and not a big minutes player as his effectiveness as a defender, and spot up 3 point shooter seem to decline with extended minutes at this point in his career. I would contest that if the Rockets had a more effective SF, then having Brewer spill in a few minutes here and there wouldn't be so glaring.

The question was asked on the podcast the other day where the Rockets next big step up is, and IMO its gotta be the 3 spot. But unfortunately a good 3 these days costs you a max contract. Jimmy Butler, Paul George, etc. aren't just falling off of trees. If Morey wants to secure another championship contender in Harden's time here in Houston, the 3 spot is going to be where he's going to have to find that second star or "star-like" player.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just a quick reminder that Corey Brewer has to go.