1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Training Camp Footage - Day 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Has Patterson been playing rushed in the post like he did all the time last year? Or has he slowed that and became more effective?

2. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

I was responding to the assertion that the major reason for Lin's impressive on/off defensive numbers is because he played with Chandler, and wasn't making a point of whether Lin or Shumpert was the better defender. But since you want to go there, you're right, based on the eye test, Shumpert is the superior man-on-man defender. Synergy also affirms this, Shumpert only let up 0.69 PPP to Lin's 0.92 PPP in isolation situations. However, those only account for ~20% of the number of plays that they defend, and an even smaller percentage of plays that the entire team defends when they are on the court. The defensive things that Lin does well are drawing charges and getting steals, ie, getting the other team to turn the ball over. Out of all guards who played 20+ games and 25+ MPG last season, Lin was 6th out of 82 in charges drawn per 40 minutes, and 7th out of 82 in steals per 40 minutes.

3. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Since I did follow Lin closely with the Knicks, I can say with confidence is that Lin is an above average defender, especially for the PG position. He might get beat off the first step, but he recovers so quickly, often forcing either a contested shot or a pass. (If there was a stat for forcing perimeter air balls one on one, Lin would be near the top. He's difficult to score on straight up.)

That said, Lin's defense in the Rockets training camp clips has not looked impressive. Players generally don't defend as well in practice, but Lin got beat pretty bad on several plays, something out of character relative to how he played defense with the Knicks.

But on the other hand, the Rockets do have a players who can defend..... The question is whether McHale can mold these players to play team defense. This could be the key whether the Rockets surprise this season.

4. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Terrence Jones is really solid. I like his size and versatility.

5. tofu--

tofu-- Member

It's always been a question of motor for this guy, but yeah, I really like his game.

6. mirus

mirus Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Carlos Delfino<a href="http://t.co/93VxFons" title="http://instagr.am/p/Qc9McXQaWb/">instagr.am/p/Qc9McXQaWb/</a></p>&mdash; Randy Garcia (@rgarcia_9900) <a href="https://twitter.com/rgarcia_9900/status/254663048323809281" data-datetime="2012-10-06T19:22:56+00:00">October 6, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    look at TJ

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Any footage from yesterday's open practice?

8. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Terrence Jones's looks kind of reminds me of Andre Braugher. Is it just me?