1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Training Camp Footage - Day 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

You in the game? Watching it live. Cool:cool:

2. King Boo

King Boo Member

What's funny is at Golden State, Lin was known as a pesky, ball hawk defender. Only in NY did the narrative do a 180.

A few Facts:
    1) Lin was 7th among guards in steals and 15th in blocks. Strong rebounder.
    2) Knicks gave up 2.1 less points per 100 when Lin was in the line up.
    3) Held opposing player to 37.8% shooting, well below average.

3. pnr

pnr Member

He does have a propensity to get steals, but his man defense is the problem. The fewer points given up with Lin on the floor probably had a lot to do with Tyson Chandler playing with Lin most of the time.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Great to hear Martin beasting like his former self and Patpat finding his groove

We all star noww

5. luden

luden Member

other pg's have defensive bigs on their team, so let's discredit them too.

Team featuring @ChandlerParsons, @JLin7, @AsikOmer, @GForbz3 and @jlamb pulling away in 4Q. Turned close game into rout, not up 18.

6. luden

luden Member

ClutchFans.net ‏@clutchfans
    101-79 final. I think Kevin Martin, @pdpatt, @GForbz3 and @Jlamb stood out the most to me. Lin, Asik also looked good.

7. King Boo

King Boo Member

I guess Rondo sucks at defense too because he's got Garnett cleaning up his messes. See how easy making statements like that are without anything to back it up?

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Nice to hear Forbes is doing well, didn't think he was going to get minutes at all but think he might be the first off the bench at SF.

9. King Boo

King Boo Member

Random fact I found while searching for stats:

Jameer Nelson gives up a net +3.9 points while playing with Dwight Howard (net -6.8 points). Yikes.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Looks like a full game....they better not give the home crowd the usual 20 mins of a bad globetrotter impression..

11. pnr

pnr Member

I was merely commenting on a possible explanation for the fewer points per possession. I watched all of Lin's games and I am a big fan of his but even I can see his man defense needs work. I am not saying his defense sucks. You need to take your homer glasses off.

12. King Boo

King Boo Member

Perfectly fine that we disagree on the young man's defense. It's just that you've posted right after me multiple times in this one thread directly contradicting the stats I just posted with an easy, throwaway one-liner. Not once have you backed it up with anything besides your "eye test."

13. King Boo

King Boo Member

One "possible explanation" is that Lin's defense is better than your eye test suggests. The stats bear that out.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I thought Lin was known as a plus defender. That's where he made his mark in summer league. And watching him with the Knicks I thought he was average at worst. He's no liability.

15. pnr

pnr Member

Agree to disagree then.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Think of him as a 7-ft Chuck Hayes.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Patterson posting up against Asik and score. Looking confident. Very encouraging.

18. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

While Patterson doing his thing is a plus, it's at the expense of Asik. Isn't Asik supposed to be a blocking machine?

19. shoops

shoops Member

Morris still not showing much promise. He doesn't seem to have much confidence...

Can't get em all! Lol

20. sidestep

sidestep Member

I think +/- stats are BS. It gives the misleading impression that it isolates the effect of a single variable, but it's far from that.

Anyway, it is indeed remarkable how a narrative about a player can change radically in one season.